Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
ChrisnLin

M.O.C. #21764
Time to replace the king mattress

Hi!

We slept on the original king mattress for a full camping season (a new record for us and original rv mattresses) but it’s time to replace it. We have a front bedroom with rear den. We would like to go the route of a standard king conventional mattress but are a little worried about being able to “make the turn” inside the camper and then get it through the bedroom door.

Any success or horror stories and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Chris & Lin

ChrisnLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Don't have that model but it will be doable. I've helped several folks where we have a home base in NM and it's all in the planning. Draw out a plan on how to get it in an lined up with the bedroom door with the proper side on the proper side. Generally two can do it, but sometimes a third person can work the bend arounds and be a help that way. Another plan is to buy the mattress from someone like Sam's Club who include setting the mattress in place as a part of delivery then just stand back and watch.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
Another option would be just install a mattress topper.
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a friend who makes mattress. He buys top of the line mattress and cuts them open to see how they are made. You would not believed how cheap they are. A $2600 mattress will cost the retailers a little over $600. You already have a good base not much different than an expensive mattress. Up grade what you have. Order a 4 inch natural latex foam topper and you will have a mattress better than almost any you can buy. Natural latex foam is heavy so it supports you better than any other foam and if you get a soft one you will not have any pressure points. All for a fraction of the cost of a regular mattress.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #5
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
We have Sleep Number mattresses both at home and in the rig. Very comfortable and able to set firmness on each side independently. They are super easy to get in the rig, you inflate after getting it placed on the bed. Plus, they weigh very little, way less than a standard mattress.

The only real issue is cost, they are not inexpensive, but then I think all mattresses are overpriced it seems like.

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:42 PM   #6
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
No issue at all in our 2015 3790RD, just ensure it is two men of average size or better, take it in the door, lift it up over the island to get it straight and then up the stairs to the bedroom... No issues at all....

Have fun....
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:22 PM   #7
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
No problem putting our King Serta iComfort into the bedroom.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:54 AM   #8
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I used 2 straps I looped around our res Queen Bed mattress when installing it. Made for some extra hand holds. DW still thinks I should have gotten help.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:23 AM   #9
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
We ditched our OEM kingsize after a few years of occasional/vacation camping for a queen size 8" memory foam from Costco.com that was on sale. The king size was a pain in the you know what when it came to making the bed, as we barely had 8 inches between the closet doors and the mattress on one whole side. Plus, the rounded corners at the foot of the OEM mattress made for a lousy fit of the bottom fitted sheet.

We went the memory foam route, and glad we did.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #10
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Our king mattress did not make it out of the dealership. Had them cut the fram down to Queen size and move the queen mattress out of our old rig into the new one.

The queen mattress was one we bought for the old rig and was only 2 years old. Sence then I have added a topper as we like a bit softer feel than the mattress had.

We use our rig a LOT not full time but about 7 to 8 months a year.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #11
ChrisnLin

M.O.C. #21764
Thanks everyone! We’ve ruled out a topper as my husband had back surgery previously and I’ve had pretty significant pain and difficulty moving over the past few weekends (we are in our 40s and otherwise athletic and active). Sleep number is on the list, but we’re leaning a bit to a traditional / hybrid mattress. We have a temperpedic at home but he’s not a huge fan. We’ve actually just found one of our larger regional furniture / mattress stores does custom mattress sizes in addition to the standard sizes for their brand so we’re going to look into that as well.
ChrisnLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:42 PM   #12
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
We have a 2010 3000RK and put a 3" topper after several years of use of a king size mattress. We had 2 ruts from sleeping on the outside of mattress and the topper we have makes for a very comfortable mattress with very little expense involved.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:32 PM   #13
STIHLNTIME
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21339
I’ve had two back surgeries and I can tell you from my experience Sleep Number/Select Comfort is a total waste of money, sold ours after two months. They are nothing more than two twin air mattresses covered by a layer of memory foam, couldn’t tolerate it at all no matter the setting. Bought a combination foam mattress off of Sams Club.com and it’s been great. Three types of foam,great foundation for support, top layers very comfortable and they are a breeze to get in the unit while in the box. Similar to a Casper
Sailun 637 tires Predator 3500 (2) paralleled
STIHLNTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #14
wnorton
Established Member

M.O.C. #21015
I’d recommend searching YouTube for Rizknows mattress reviews. I’d try the bed in a box options.

We did a memory foam topper our our mattress. Didn’t like the “stuck in the mud” feeling. We then tried the “purple” mattress. I loved it my wife slept too cold. We then tried the new “tomorrow” mattresses, twin mattress side by side. They make up the exact size of the original king mattress. Wife did firm and I did soft. She is happy, I like it but not as much as the Purple.

I’m likely to replace my “tomorrow” with a single “purple” and hope the thickness is close, so it will look like one mattress when it’s made up.

We will never buy from a mattress store again. The bed in box is simply too easy and the mattresses are superior. We love sleeping on them for months before deciding to keep or reject a mattress.

Good luck
wnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #15
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Having to raise the bed shelves in the 305RL to accommodate standard mattress height
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:34 PM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
A friend Jenny Jarrett of Jarrett Rifles.com builds rifles for a lot of very famous people like President George Bush and gets at least $2000 more than anyone else for a nearly identical rifle. So how does he get that much more? He has a sayings that explains his rifles and mattresses “You don’t sell the steak you sell the sizzle”. That explains a lot and Kenny is a master of it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:04 PM   #17
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
We went with a foam mattress when our original wore out. It is an 11" thick unit we purchased from Wayfair.com. Price was too good to pass up. Very comfortable although a bit long causing an over hang which caused the sheets and blankets to pull up. We solved that problem by using a ratchet strap on the bottom of the bed. Other issue is that it is tight to the shelves under the window but will go with a little force. Those problems aside, it provides us with a great night's sleep and has a cooling layer of foam on the top which actually works. I am 230 lbs and it supports me very well. It comes rolled up so it is easy to get into the bedroom but a word of caution. Be sure it is facing the correct way when you unwrap it. Label says it takes a day to expand but I am here to tell you when you cut that wrap, it opens like a Jack in the Box. I had it facing the wrong way and it took two men and a woman to get it turned around. I am sure you can purchase a slightly thinner mattress which will be easier to get the sheets on but in general I am happy with the foam. I have a Sleep Comfort unit in my home and love it, but this seems to provide me with a better overall sleep. Sorry, I cannot remember the name but it had something to do with a Hawaiian reference.
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote