Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Has anyone heard of this?

I've been fighthing high Cholestrol for many years. The last five years the doctor has had me taking Niacin,Red Rice and Fish Oil. Most of the time the Cholestrol was staying down. Just lately its up again. I found a site that states this product will cleanse your vains of calcium and choestrol. It was discover 12 years ago. Its fairly expensive. If any one has used it or heard anyone that has, Did it work? The name of the product is Angioprim. I be interested if any thing is know about it. Thanks Randye

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Google is your friend! Found out the FDA doesn't think much of it: http://www.casewatch.org/fdawarning/...ionetics.shtml
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
randye, I worked for 26 years as a medic with 5 years in Alternative Medicine. I would suggest: You only use "dietary supplements" recommended by a competent alternative medicine Physician and not from something off the internet. I am not familiar with Angioprim, but there a lot of people making all kinds of claims about their products. Dietary supplements are not controlled like drugs but they cannot make claims of medical relevance. That's why it is necessary to see a good Alternative Physician. There is a national organization called ACAM (American College for Advancement in Medicine) that most alternative medicine physicians belong to. I found them to be the most reliable and competent. Most, if not all, have been trained in the use of alternative treatments..... I hope this helps.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
My PA put me on Red Yeast Rice, two 600mg capsules twice a day about three months ago and when they checked the LDL level last week it had dropped from 158 to 110. Sure made me a happy camper as my system can no longer tolerate Zocor and other related drugs. He also has me taking Niaspan and fish oil. Anyway, it works for me. As I told them, I value my quality of life over what those commercial anti-cholesterol drugs do to my back, legs, and feet.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:18 AM   #5
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
According to this article, the primary ingredient in the Red Yeast Rice is Lovastatin which is prescribed by the medical profession to lower cholesterol.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herb...dyeastrice.htm
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:44 AM   #6
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
ARJ, Just a quick glance @ the link and it suggest that Red Yeast Rice, no longer contains Lovastatin, or did I misread? I take Crestor(5mg low dose)

Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
I'm a certified medical assistant and work for a family medicine doc......you should NEVER take anything you read on the internet without first talking to your doctor. There are many things on the internet that are not true and there are many supplements that taken with other prescription drugs can hinder the way they work. They being the prescription drugs. Even if you don't take any prescribed drugs you should not take things you read on the internet. Just because it is on the internet does not make it true.
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FLSTS03

ARJ, Just a quick glance @ the link and it suggest that Red Yeast Rice, no longer contains Lovastatin, or did I misread? I take Crestor(5mg low dose)

Steve
Yes, I saw that. here is the quote:

When the FDA discovered that red yeast rice contained a substance found in prescription drugs, it banned red yeast rice products containing lovastatin. In August, 2007, the FDA issued a warning that several red yeast rice products still contained lovastatin. The manufacturers of these products have since recalled these products.

The FDA only issued a warning (in this country, I assume)so who knows!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Thankyou for all you input, it was very educational. I made a appointment with a Nurse practistioner, tomarrow and will have a Cholestrol check and blood work done. See were i stand and get on something that hopefully will bring down the bad and up the good. Later all.Randye
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cmawendy

I'm a certified medical assistant and work for a family medicine doc......you should NEVER take anything you read on the internet without first talking to your doctor. There are many things on the internet that are not true and there are many supplements that taken with other prescription drugs can hinder the way they work. They being the prescription drugs. Even if you don't take any prescribed drugs you should not take things you read on the internet. Just because it is on the internet does not make it true.
The best advice I've seen on this subject in a long time.
There's a lot of misleading or just plain BS information on the Internet, be very careful, and do a lot of research before joining even some of the known medical data forums.

I'm a retired former certified paramedic, and admit I certainly don't have the knowledge or expertise of an MD or Pharmacist, but I did a lot of reading of various journals over 30 years, and am lucky enough to have a very progressive Family Physician (he's in his mid 50's) who isn't stuck on his MD doctorate and often suggests alternatives that work as well if not better than a prescription to pharmacy medications.
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote