Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2020, 08:56 AM   #21
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Just make sure you read all the Fine Print in any "Unlimited Plan".
Verizon has many advertised as Unlimited, until you read the fine print. Our JetPack now is only 15G, Phones are 30G for Data. After you reach that limit the units are good for a Paper Weight at best as Verizon slows it down so much that's it's almost useless.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:45 AM   #22
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
use TOGO, 30 a month truly unlimited, you pay for the year upfront, works great !
ATT has cancelled the TOGO plan. Those with the plan will not be able to renew it. So I'm told.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ale...ary-16th-2020/

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #23
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
ATT has cancelled the TOGO plan. Those with the plan will not be able to renew it. So I'm told.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ale...ary-16th-2020/
That is true. I still have plenty of time left on my plan. As I stated in your other post I had winegard send me the information to unlock the device and use other SIM cards. Once my plan expires I’ll take it from there. It for sure won’t be close to the same price that’s for sure, but hopefully there will be options.

I have att unlimited cell service, along with that I have att now streaming service. When I stream on my phone it uses no data and I have cables to hook up to my screens. Worse case I’m back to doing that, along with running my intranet service.

I’m hopeful when the time comes there will be a good plan available if not I always have a back up...

Tony
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #24
dadnjesse
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17519
Quote:
use TOGO, 30 a month truly unlimited, you pay for the year upfront, works great !
I just checked the website I didn't see a unlimited plan it was 25.00 for 5GB
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:27 AM   #25
BiigDaddy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18932
We're members of FMCA and they have Sprint and Verizon deals on hotspots. But as others stated, the fine print is there.... We got the Verizon plan, it was the device for a penny, and "unlimited" for $50 a month. We were aware that it was throttled after 15GB, and after that streaming was painful waiting for the buffering. But its a great plan for casual internet browsing.
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:45 AM   #26
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
I just checked the website I didn't see a unlimited plan it was 25.00 for 5GB
look 4 posts up...
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Old 02-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #27
Michael7262

M.O.C. #25360
Netflix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Any of the cell phone vendors offer unlimited data plans that are plenty fast enough for Netflix or whatever.

Use a phone, hotspot, tablet of what ever floats your boat. I have an unlimited Mobley plan from AT&T (no longer available) an old 3g unlimited plan from Verizon, and a limited data plan for my phone/tablet. They have been more than enough for what we do.
If your 55 and older call your carrier and ask them if they offer the 55 plus plan unlimited data then as the post above said stream off your hot spot works perfect. We watched 25 movies on our last trip and a ton of free data Verizon gave me the 55 plus plan unlimited data for $80 a month two phone lines
Michael7262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:58 PM   #28
saber707
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17531
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
I'm soon going to let my Mobley Plan go as I no longer need it. Know anyone who has the plan that would like a backup device and power plug/cord?
Hotspot from your cell service provider. We have been doing that for some time.
saber707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:35 PM   #29
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
I'm using Visible, which was started by Verizon, and uses their network.
Not sure what the current deal is, but when I signed up they were offering unlimited data, and were waving speed caps as long as you are a customer.

I've had up to 35Mbps speeds, and downloaded over a terabyte in one month (filling up the game drive on my new PC).
Speed does vary by how much traffic is on the network.

The one drawback, is you can only tether once device to the phone, but in my case, that's my router, and everything else hooks to it.

They supposedly did away with referral discounts ($20 off) in favor of party pay (you can get a discount every month), but my code (BNNJ2) was still working a week ago when my brother signed up.
Just read the fine print if you sign up, these companies change deals on a regular basis.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:44 PM   #30
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Togo lost their contract with ATT the $30 month is gone forever it ended 1/15/2020
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #31
brogans424
Established Member

M.O.C. #23975
We download programs/movies

We download Netflix series episodes and movies we want to watch to my iPad. That way we don’t have to rely on cellular or internet connection at the campground. We like camping at the state parks and not all of them have wifi/Internet. And cell reception can be spotty. You can also download programs from Amazon and Vudu onto your iPad. (Or other tablet) I delete them after we watch.
brogans424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:29 PM   #32
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
Togo lost their contract with ATT the $30 month is gone forever it ended 1/15/2020
true look up about 9 posts.... I have plenty of time left on mine hopefully by then I will have a solution. Currently my unit is unlocked and can take different sims, would just need to find a plan at that point. Or go back to streaming from my phone which is data free, just plug it in the tv, I should clarify data free while watching ATT TV.

Tony
Old 02-07-2020, 09:31 AM   #33
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
hmmmm......I need to study on this a bit if wireless is as fast as a landline? We opted for a hardline at present since we are stationary for next few years. Nearly all our TV viewing is ROKU including Netflix. But I do game too and I have yet to hear of anyone using wireless for gaming.
If you have hardline to your location that is likely as fast as you will get. We have hardline at our base site and a wifi router to run the fire sticks in the tv's. The hardline usually runs about 25 Mbps and the wifi about 15 so you loose some speed with the wifi.

We are currently in FL for a month and we have a third party WiFi available at $40/mo that gives us 30Mbps. I'm doing this reply on Mobile Hotspot because the WiFi limits use to 2 devices at a time and the dw has the b/r tv on and I'm watching in the l/r. So I use the h/s for web surfing.

I'm finding more CG's are going to third party WiFi and where I have used it, it is much better quality then the park WiFi. Although we did an overnight last week in Valdosta GA in a small park and streamed on the park WiFi all evening without issue.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #34
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
OK I have an update of sorts, I called ATT got bounced around several times but finally got to the right department. I talked to the "RV" area that handles the TOGO plans. Now this guy was probably full of crap but he did say that ATT will be bringing back the unlimited plans this year for the TOGO.

The number is 8003310500. I was told by the rep with broken English to call a few months before my plan expires and that I can (which I dont think so) get the unlimited plan or any other special promotions they offer. Take that for what its worth....

If you are with ATT Cell, and have ATT TV you can stream DATA free from the phone to the TV using a $20-$30 cable adapter with HDMI. with this you can stream all day long with no worries. That does not include Netflix or any other streaming app. That would use wifi hotspot depending on the unlimited plan you will get either 15 gig or 30 gig. Worse case I was thinking about adding a tablet stream using the tablet and that would give me additional hotspot bandwidth to use...

T-Mobile, I spoke with them they have some good pricing for vets, if you're a vet. I told them about my RV Wifi dilemma and he suggested that on one of the lines or maybe even a tablet to pay an additional $50a month to use that as a unlimited hotspot. The T-Mobile plans are interesting, they include UNLIMITED high speed HD streaming, whatever you want to stream from YouTube to ATT TV to Netflix, Amazon prime video doesn't matter. If you need straight data each line includes 20gig hotspot, 5gb of data in Mexico and Canada. If you fly you get unlimited wifi in equipped airplanes. You get Netflix standard with 2 screens of HD streaming free, if you have a Netflix account you can use that as a credit to offset your current plan. If you have a ATT phone that is unlocked chances are you can bring that phone over to T-Mobile. Oh he said that can also provide a SIM for the togo if thats a route I wish to take.

Im not familiar with T-Mobile coverage but you can get a free wifi hotspot for 30 days or 30gigs what ever comes first to test drive their network no strings.

I have until Nov 15, 2020 until my TOGO plan expires, so im being proactive to find a operational solution when the time comes.

Verizon I really didn't even look, unless you have an old plan the new ones are expensive, or some sort of discount such as age.

Hope some of this information helps..... For me Im keeping things as they are at least until September, then Ill call and see if that plan is available if not I think I may test drive T--mobile and possibly switch, cancel ATT TV and go with YouTube TV and stream away LOL.

Tony
Old 02-09-2020, 05:31 AM   #35
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
That T-Mobile plan looks awesome, I may just check them out. I think they are going all out to capture Verizon customers. I have no real beef with Verizon but if you use data much it can get quite expensive.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #36
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
That T-Mobile plan looks awesome, I may just check them out. I think they are going all out to capture Verizon customers. I have no real beef with Verizon but if you use data much it can get quite expensive.
The issue with T-mobile is coverage especially in Rural areas. I just watch several controlled test in NY metro areas comparing T-mobile's new 5G against Verizon's 4G and Verizon 4G still beat the pants off of T-mobile's 5G.

It is all about who has the network coverage, reliability and speeds. As much as I loath Verizon and their higher cost they have the most reliable and expansive coverage especially here in the Western US and rural areas where we camp/RV. We have found the same throughout the US as I travel extensively for work...

If you are serious about using mobile networks Install the Weboost Drive X RV antenna (the Togo and Wineguard which are basically the same are not very powerful antennas), the Weboost was originally designed for the Trucking industry for mobile cell antennas on the trucks, They are the best 4G antennas for the $$$.

I bought both the wineguard and the weboost at the same time and tested both before installing either one and there was no comparision, Weboost was measurably better. Just sold our Motorhome that I installed it on and debating now what to install on the 5er, I hate to install 4G with REAL 5G (not T-Mobile 5G) just around the corner.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:30 AM   #37
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Thanks lightout,
That was my expectation of T-Mobil. Our S&B is in rural NY so coverage is important to us. Most of our RV travels are in less rural areas but I'll likely just stick with Verizon at least for the time being.