Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2005, 08:22 AM   #1
Montana_3183

M.O.C. #3183
would like to add inverter

My wife and my self are on are 2nd montana 3475RL we just got it a month ago and can't wait to get the road. My question is does anyone know where I can get wiring diagram for my Montana so I can add Inverter.

I love this site

2003 GMC Duramax
2005 Montana
one wife
2 seb-husky

Montana_3183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:31 AM   #2
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
This issue has come up several times.... unfortunately the Montana folks do NOT use a wiring diagram! Sounds silly to me but that is their official line. You'll just have to eyeball what you can to make the hookups. Several folks have installed inverters so we know it can be done. Good luck

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:30 AM   #3
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi Montana's are miserable to find wires in do to all of them being threaded thru the tubular frame. I hooked mine up to the furnace feed 12v wire in the furnace, hotwater htr, pump compartment. It works great until the furnace comes on and the draw shuts the inverter down. Might run a heavy guage wire from the batteries in conduit under the unit this summer. dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 07:50 AM   #4
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Sebhusky;Inverters are great! But theyare HUGE consumers of 12V ampes.First make sure your batteries are big enough (store enough amps. ) to run everything you want on your inverter. make sure the inverter you buy will handle the job. I just put in two circuits,one handles my entertainment center, the other,a duplex outletthat our freezer conects to,yesfreezer.I only installed a 1000 watt unit,but it does the job. IMPORTANT!! The Inverter should be installed within about 5 feet from the batteries with HEAVY wire. this can present a problem since it should NOT BE IN THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT!! I handle'd this by mounting my inverter on the wall of my basement compartment directly opposite the batteries. the first place to start as i see it is to have addiquate batteries to start with. Hope this helps,good luck, Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:25 AM   #5
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
You have gotten good advice. We put in a 600 watt inverter just to run the TV, Computer, and Internet sat. Our rig has the entertainment center next to the basement. It was easy to mount the inverter on the wall behind the Batteries and run wires to the entertainment center. Added a outlet horizontally and marked it. Having it horizontal makes sure we don't use the wrong plug. Only turn on the inverter when boon docking.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote