Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Leaking slide pump with pictures

My pump has been leaking for some time. It finally got so bad that I was forced to do something about it. It started out with just a seep and appeared to be leaking where the tank attaches to the pump - possibly around the O-ring. Then it got so bad that fluid needed to be added more frequently and messes cleaned up. Others have had the same problem and have had some successes in eliminating the leak. Any input from those who had dealt with this issue would be appreciated.

And:

I was really surprised at all the dirt that was in the bottom of the tank. It was real gritty. Just wondering if this is normal after use of 9 years. Maybe since there is no filter in the system and it is not a sealed tank.

Here is where I found a small round magnet near the intake of the pump. At first I did not know it was a magnet because it was all covered in grease.

This is what it looked like after I removed the grease and put the magnet back.

I really can’t figure out how this grease got on the magnet or if this is normal. Any ideas?

Now for the leak around the O-ring. Do I buy a new O-ring and where? Do I use the old with some kind of sealant. If I use the old - how do I remove it without damage??

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I have had two leak issues with pumps, both with hairline cracks difficult to see. Hopefully somebody can talk to the magnet issue, I cannot. Re the O ring, I would not reuse, I would call lippert and have them send a replacement. I have to say, with both tanks I replaced, (lippert provided at no cost), I did not have the dirt buildup you experienced.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Cleaned mind up good and used RED RTV on it. Been goodfor 3 years now. Don't think you can get that pump anymore. I may have a O ring, i will check this afternoon.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
1retired06

Very interesting about the hairline cracks on the tanks. Could you see them?

It is good to know Lippert sent you replacement parts.

I will contact them and see what they will do. I have the older style pump that was updated a few years later. I hope they still have parts.

Thanks for the reply.

Al
Old 06-27-2012, 04:57 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bigmurf

Is the REDRTV that you used made for use on O-rings? Did you coat the O-ring before installing it?
Thanks for checking for a spare.
I'm in no panic to fix since the Monty is sitting in the yard safe and sound. Although I am hoping no big storms come through with the slides open.

Al
Old 06-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
One was at the base of the pump. The other was behind the pump an inch or so above the base. Lippert sent me replacements both times AFTER I sent them the old tanks. Took about three weeks. In both instances, it was at about the two year mark. Yours has lasted significantly longer. I found Lippert easy to work with. Tried to talk them into giving me a spare, but not that easy to work with!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #7
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I would not re-use the o-ring. remove it and do you have any industrial suppliers in the area? like fastenal or even a good napa store will have a large selection.they will match it up. The dirt you see is most likely a combination of wear from the seals and cylnders from years of use. it is so very fine looks like dirt. the magnet is just a safety thing so hopefully no metal fragments wiould reach the pump in case of a failure. reinstall the o-ring with a good silicone grease or vasoline, something that will make assembly easier. I would not use wd-40 or anything like that due to the petrolium base in it. the grease, I can't answer,never saw grease in an hydraulic system
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Racerjoe,

It is good to know that I may be able to get a replacement O-Ring from other than Lippert. I'm still unclear of what is best to put on a new O-Ring if anything. Maybe Lippert uses something in the assembly process.
Thanks for the reply.

Al
Old 06-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Al, A farm equipment sales should have it too. Try a business like John Deer, Case, ect.
I had my slider hoses made at John Deer. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #10
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Al, remember,the o-ring is the seal,you just need to lube it so you can install it easier. Like i said, a little vasoline or silicone grease on it will do the trick. Crossthread is also correct,farm supply houses ahould have them too
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Bigmurf

Is the REDRTV that you used made for use on O-rings? Did you coat the O-ring before installing it?
Thanks for checking for a spare.
I'm in no panic to fix since the Monty is sitting in the yard safe and sound. Although I am hoping no big storms come through with the slides open.

Al
Sent you a PM.

Also for everyone else.
Oringsusa.com

M83461/1-348
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
tomd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5075
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

I have had two leak issues with pumps, both with hairline cracks difficult to see. Hopefully somebody can talk to the magnet issue, I cannot. Re the O ring, I would not reuse, I would call lippert and have them send a replacement. I have to say, with both tanks I replaced, (lippert provided at no cost), I did not have the dirt buildup you experienced.
The magnet is there for the purpose of catching any metal shavings that may come from the pump. I replaced my reservoir with a metal one. That solved the problem.
tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
tomd

What year Montana do you have?

Where did you buy the replacement tank and what problem did it solve?

Also with a metal reservoir how can you determine where your fluid level is?

Al
Old 06-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
tomd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5075
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

tomd

What year Montana do you have?

Where did you buy the replacement tank and what problem did it solve?

Also with a metal reservoir how can you determine where your fluid level is?

Al
Al, i sent you a pm.
tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #15
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
The dirt comes from the shafts of the slide cylinders. Not a bad idea to wipe shafts, before closing slides , with a soft cloth after they have been out for a while. You will be surprised to see the dirt you get. Also extends life of seals.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Hook,

That makes sense for the dirt getting into the reservoir.

I do wipe shaft of the cylinder occasionally - but now will be more frequently. I do it more when in salt air to keep the shaft from rusting. I wipe it down with ATF.

Now for the mystery of the big glob of grease on the magnet?

Thanks for the reply - very helpful about the dirt.

Al
Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Well, not unusual for the grit (metallic mess) to have soaked off some of the hydraulic fluid and may just appear to be grease. Regarding the O'ring you should get the inside diameter and the diameter of its cross section to fill the grove. I'd just use hydraulic fluid to "wet" it when installing the replacement.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #18
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
noneck,

I think you may given an expanation of what looked like grease on the magnet. For about a week I was letting the tank leak down to a lower level and was cleaning it up on the tray. It got to a point where it wasn't leaking anymore. At that point the fluid must have been lower than the magnet and the reside got dry sitting on the magnet.

It is all starting to make sense now.

Thanks for the reply.

Al
Old 06-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #19
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Al, here comes my 2 cents. A industrial hydraulic shop should be able to make a o-ring for you if they do not have it in stock. I have worked around hydraulic systems a lot over the last 38 years in the piping trade and have seen at least 3 ways they try and clean systems before they put them in service.
1 is to hook the hoses to the cylinders and just cycle the cylinders in and out which puts half of the contaminates in the tank and the other laying on the bottom on the cylinders.
2 is hook the hoses together at the ends of the runs and use the on board hydraulic unit to flush the hoses back to the reservoir tank. And then clean the tank before hooking cylinders up. I hope Keystone at least uses this method.
3 is to use a separate flushing unit to clean the hoses. Which would be the best way. This is the way the Navy does there systems.
With you findings I guess I should think about looking at my unit.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #20
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Early in the thread, Tomd posted that he had purchased a metal tank and gave the link. Here is his explanation of what he did because of his leak.

I quote him from a email he sent. His words follow:

I have a 2003 Montana 2955 with a two qt. reservoir. It leaked between the two bottom bolts due to deflection of the tank between the holes.
I purchased the tank online @ hydraulic-supply.com for less than sixty dollars including tax and shipping. They have a catalog that you can download also. If you have a business near you such as the one mentioned in previous post, they can help.
I check the fluid level by removing the filler cap.
One thing to consider is the location of filler hole. I had to plug the one on the pump end and put it on the other end.
Good Luck. Hope this helps.
Tom Donan