Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2006, 11:51 PM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Working online....

I have noticed a few members do work online as a source of income. Lorraine and I would be very interested in getting online jobs and have been stumbling through Internet searches for this kind of stuff. We thought one of you already involved with online work could give us some direction in finding such work.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:27 AM   #2
dmr1021
Established Member

M.O.C. #5682
I've been working from our 3400RL for about a month now doing web design. My approach was to get the business started before moving aboard, prep the RV, then the move was basically transparent for my customers.

We traveled in a Lance truck camper before and I used a Sprint Air Card in my laptop. The card worked great on the East coast, OK in the mid-west and only in large cities on the West coast.

We found WiFi to be unreliable at campgrounds...ok for occasional email but not something you could count on to provide good service to your customers.

Now I'm using a DataStorm dish on the roof. Initial cost was around $6000 incl. install. A less expensive option is a tri-pod mount but the dish takes a lot of space in the basement. See www.datastormusers.com for more detailed info on the options.

Working and traveling can be tough...it never fails, a client wants something NOW and you're 250 miles from the next campground. The good news is that I threw away all of my ties :-)

If you're just looking for a way to pay your way, check out the thread on workamping. www.coolworks.com is a great site for seasonal work. My wife and I are considering doing the National Park thing next year.

Good Luck!

-Dave

2007 3400RL
  • 5.5 Kw Onan LP generator
  • TBC Surgeguard
  • MotoSat internet roof-mounted
  • MotoSat HDTV roof-mounted
  • Class 4 towing hitch

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie
  • Cummins Diesel
  • Jake Brake
  • dual rear tires
  • navigation system

dmr1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:11 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Thanks Dave,
I should get back into web design. I do dabble in it a little. This past June I did build 2 web sites from scratch and updated 3 others and if nothing changes I will be getting back a site that I built for a Chamber of Commerce in NY.

We would rather get into something that Lorraine and I could both work at (she knows little to nothing about HTML).
We tried the workamping thingy but we would rather have something we can do online whenever and wherever we are located. If I can't sleep I can get up at 2AM and do some work.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0
WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Click on either of the above for a larger image
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Old 10-27-2006, 04:21 AM   #4
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Hi Glenn~~

I'm an eBay seller. I do the computer related stuff ~~ and Larry will be doing the rest. He's a great "picker"....and love to research items for me. As for income ~~ well...depends on how much effort is put into it ~~ and how good of a treasure hunter one is. We've certainly had our share of oops buys!
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:33 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Marge is a degreed Graphic Artist. She does web design for churches. It started out as charity work and has become an income for her. She does have a basic setup fee and the churches give her a maintenance fee. She doesn't like to charge churches for her services but they like her work so well that they give her pretty good recompense. This works for us because she can do it all online, even using her cell phone. We usually spend a week on the church parking lot while she gets it all set up, then the rest is online.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:52 AM   #6
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Great topic, Glenn. I hope we get more replies.

I like you, have been searching for "Work On Line" opportunities. So far, except for Web design I have not found any that do not sound too good to be true or with some serious up front fees or one catch or another.

I don't know HTML either but I am thinking of finding the time to learn.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:22 PM   #7
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
Good topic Glenn. I would like to do the same thing but not much good at html. I hope more people respond so that we would have some good ideas to look at.
Dick
rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:33 AM   #8
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Hi,

A co-workers wife was doing medical transcribing from her home in South Dakota for a group of doctors in Atlanta, GA. They would send her the tapes, she would type up the records and return them to the office encripted via web. She set her own hours and how much work she wanted. I believe that you have to have special training for this type of job but she made pretty good cash contracting her services like this.

Trying to find ideas for other web based jobs to do for Gina also please keep this thread going. Even if you are retired and work is the last thing on your mind...LOL PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Remember the......
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:47 AM   #9
jerrybb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6198
I also would be interested in any info as far as working online ,,, so many scams out there
jerrybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:20 AM   #10
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
I am a medical transcriptionist and work locally for three doctors and have a part-time job that is done totally on-line. My on-line job is for a small MT company and I type live into the clinic's software program/system. I have worked various ways as a MT and, to me, this is the best particularly for someone who can work anywhere at anytime as long as you have a reliable Internet connection.

I have just recently purchased an ExpressCard for my laptop with unlimited access through Verizon and it works very well at home for me and has been very reliable thus far. I have tried it at one campground but it is too late in the year now (since we don't have a Montana but just a small TT) for us to see how my connection is at various CGs. However, anywhere you can get a signal from Verizon I would think I will be okay. I live in a very rural area and have never had anything available to me but dial-up and satellite and our satellite has never been real reliable since it reacts poorly to rain and snow, plus I believe some MT companies do not allow satellite use.

Anyway, if someone wanted to go back to school for training (and there are even some very good at home courses you can take), you might be able to gain the knowledge and skills you need to become a MT at home perhaps even within a year. However, that being said, I still wish I would have worked locally for at least a year for a hospital as that is really your best experience and training - acute care. I have only medical office and clinic experience, which limits what positions I qualify for. However, once you get a few years of experience under your belt, I don't think you would have a problem finding a position. The problem is getting that experience which seems to be the biggest obstacle for many. I lucked out and had a friend who subcontracted work to me some time after I completed my MT education and after a few years I went out on my own and have now been working at home for about 15 years. I love it!

If you love typing and the medical field fascinates you, then becoming an MT may be for you. I love it as it keeps my interest as it is a continuing education daily.
Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:16 AM   #11
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Glenn, You are so good at web design maybe you could give some classes I think I would like to learn. I have seen some that you have done and they are so nice.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:47 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Web design is a great job but I haven't kept up with all the new stuff that has come out in just the past couple years. I can still do the basic stuff but when we get into some of the more elaborate stuff I lack the skills and to be quite honest the ambition. Some of this stuff requires a ton of training and expense just to get started.

As far as training any of you folks I would be happy to but it can be really difficult doing it over the net.