Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
If you ever see a sign......

.... that says “No trucks over 30 feet”, we recommend that you heed that sign. While driving from Nashville to Knoxville, I-40 was blocked eastbound due to an accident. So we stopped for lunch and inquired of the young man with a deep Tennessee drawl regarding an alternate road that would parallel the interstate. He gave us detailed instructions, maybe repeating them several times because he saw the puzzled look on our faces as we had some difficulty understanding him. But we quickly found the interstate, which was open and clear going east. After a short distance we observed that we were going through stoplights and saw vehicles entering the road from driveways and crossroads. This was not the interstate. We were heading east, the direction we wanted to travel, so we decided to continue on the road and confirmed the route on our Streets and Trips program. It showed a nice highway leading to another route that would connect us to the interstate. Then came the sign mentioned above. We should have turned around, if there was even an area available. On Hwy 85 east of Livingston, Tennessee, we encountered the steepest switchbacks that we’ve ever experienced. One of the small (very small) towns was called Alpine (hint, hint!) The curves would have been difficult if we were not pulling the Monty but they were almost impossible with the fifth wheel in tow. We saw some of the most beautiful scenery imaginable but it was also the most frightening drive we’ve ever taken. Glen did an excellent job of driving and I was exceptional in my praying. My eyes were already closed, after all. Together it worked, thankfully, although we even drove through a town named Hanging Limb. You can imagine our concern. Just let me say, there are still some very remote places in Tennessee.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Oh my gosh, I'm glad you made it safely!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Judy,
Glad you and Glen made it through without any damage to you, the truck, or the coach. Did you get any pics of this little detour?? Hope the rest of your journey is less stressfull.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
WOW!!!, I could not imagine what I would have done, but thanks for the image.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Judy, you ought to write a book.. your descriptions had me there. My eyes would have been closed too!! YIKES. You won't forget that soon. Another good warning for all of us.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy, does this highway (????? almost hesitate to call it that after your explanation) have a name or number???

Good job Glen, I hope we never have to try and repeat your experience.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:01 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We stopped in Cookeville for lunch, drove north to Livingston, and east to Alpine, mostly on Hwy 85. Then we turned south to Monterrey where we picked up I-40. There aren't many roads in that area (now we know why!)but there are lots of houses with freezers and washing machines on the front porch....when there were houses. We are so thankful that there was NO, did I say NO, traffic because we needed both lanes to make those switchbacks. It would have been fun if we had not had the trailer. You should have seen the local people standing in their yards with their jaws dropped open!

But that was not the end of our day of adventure. When we got to our campground here in Pigeon Forge, we got stuck! We're at Walden's Creek CG, next to Creekside CG and the owner had added new crushed rock to the site. Our wheels dug in quickly and the edge of the pavement acted like a blocking device. We had to unhitch, fill in the hole, put down some planks, pullout, move to another site, put down some more planks, jocky around, yadda, yadda, yadda. You get the idea.

But the WiFi is great!
Old 04-11-2006, 01:56 AM   #8
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Yet another reason to have a 4x4. If you heed all those signs you don't have any fun. Glad Glenn is so capable and you are so patient. Take care, stay safe and be well!

CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:11 AM   #9
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Glen & Judy, Glad you made it OK and it sounds like Glen knows how to drive like a Pro.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:21 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glen did a great job and he did see the need for 4x4 capability for the first time, even through our trip to Alaska. We were sure glad that we had the one ton climbing the mountain yesterday. He had the pedal to the metal and we weren't going very fast, but we made it. I don't know what we would have done, had anything gone wrong. Thankfully, it didn't but how would we have explained it to the kids!
Old 04-11-2006, 02:26 AM   #11
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70

Did you have to pry Glen's hands off the steering wheel at the end of this little journey? That probably would be necessary for me.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:41 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Well, Judy, you have just given me some VERY important info, a good friend of mine is moving to Cookville, I now know, MONTANA AIN"T GONNA VISIT!

I'm with fla native, bring on a crow bar to pry my hands off the steering wheel! GULP!

Does not sound like a good set up after a long day, UGHHH
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:48 AM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glen did better than I did, fla native. You almost had to pry my eyelids open.

Carol, you can take Monty to Cookeville. It's very accessible. Just avoid towing up to Alpine. DO, absolutely DO, take the drive to Alpine from Livingston without the Montana. It's an awesome trip. You just can't imagine how sharp those turns are on the switchbacks. It's a great ride.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:50 AM   #14
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
Thanks for the info! We will be in and around that area soon and so I have printed off this topic for reference since we don't have a computer to take on the road with us. Dano says "That sounds like fun! (Just the drive, not towing!) Glen, you did an awesome job of driving! Glad it all ended up okay.
Wife of Dano
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:00 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Oh, wife of Dano, do tell us how you like the drive. It is awesome....or would be without the trailer. Beautiful scenery.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:16 AM   #16
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
A couple years ago we ran US 191 from Wilcox, AZ up to US 66. There is one stretch of road there between Guthrie & Eagar that is 120 miles that took us 4 1/2 hours to make with the 2955RL. Signs said "no trucks over 24 feet." We were 50'. It was worth the time for the scenery. On the switchbacks Jeanne said the front bumper was hanging over the edge. She could look straight down several hundred feet.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:47 AM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Bob, tell Jeanne that I can relate. I know exactly how she was feeling. Glen was on the inside track...I was on the edge. Whew!
Old 04-13-2006, 03:00 AM   #18
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Judy, my wife and I can relate to that. That happen to us and the ride down the other side was even more fun. With the truck in first gear it would not hold the rig back. Before we got down the brakes begin to go out. I said to my sweet wife " you see that big oak tree? "
she said "yes" and I said "we are fixing to hit it". I pushed on the brakes a hard as I could push and slowed the rig down to 5 MPH when we hit. Thank GOD we were not hurt. The smoke rolled out from under the truck and trailer like it was on fire. I no longer take short cuts.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:34 AM   #19
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
What a scary and frustrating day.
We drove an old Winnebago westward into Death Valley (almost appropriately named for us) and the brakes went out about 1/2 way down the mountains. We entered Death Valley at about 90 MPH (the curves looked like street corners!).
Then we had to drive up and out the other side (HUGH drop-offs on the passenger side) in the dark in a pouring rain (with no brakes, remember) to get toward a repair shop. When we topped the west side mountains, we pulled over and slept for 12 hours!
So, I know how you felt. My wife said she lost many pounds sweating on the way up the hill - lol.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:05 AM   #20
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Judy,

Glad your little "detour" trip turned out safely. I probably would have been doing my monkey imitation, hanging onto the "chicken handles" in the pickup and applying the imaginary brakes on my side of the truck. Sounds like it was a challenging day all around!!! Stay safe.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote