Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 07:33 PM   #141
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle and Lisa View Post
Does any one know what the cost is and how they weigh things ?
In our town, the DOT Port of Entry will let you weigh. I called them to ask about a commercial scale, they said to bring it to them. They were very nice about it. I weighed the truck axles separately, with & without the Montana then both Montana axles; at least six weighs.

Most of our Port of Entries are open part time, but the scales work even when they are closed.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #142
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurryii View Post
I am very satisfied with my rig, 2500 Ram I too feel a lot of people fall for the DRW hype. I see ultra lights 30-35' range being pulled by DRW.
I also believe that you should go with what you are comfortable with. If you feel unsafe then you are unsafe. Happy trails to all.
I see 1/2 tons pulling large fifth wheels.. Good thing they didn't fall into the 3/4 or 1 ton "hype".
Old 06-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #143
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
I see 1/2 tons pulling large fifth wheels.. Good thing they didn't fall into the 3/4 or 1 ton "hype".
I've seen every type of vehicles overloaded but have not seen a 1/2 ton pulling a heavy 5er yet. Many (most) 1/2 tons are not even equipped to pull a 5er built for a 1/2 ton without being over payload.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #144
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Pretty much the only way a half ton can tow a 5er is if the 5er is modest in size and unloaded. Kinda defeats the purpose... but heh, the mfr didn't say anything about what a claim of "half-ton towable" meant... so they are off the hook and you are potentially on it if you buy into that "hype"

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
Old 06-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #145
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
Pretty much the only way a half ton can tow a 5er is if the 5er is modest in size and unloaded. Kinda defeats the purpose... but heh, the mfr didn't say anything about what a claim of "half-ton towable" meant... so they are off the hook and you are potentially on it if you buy into that "hype"
Well no. New F150 Fords can haul 3300 pounds and tow 13300 pounds when properly equipped. My HC dry weight is 9400 pounds with a hitch weight of 1780 pound. I wouldn’t feel safe pulling my HC with an F150.
Lynwood
Old 06-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #146
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
dfb,
That folks actually thought your comment on 1/2 tons was serious amazes me!!

But just to add fuel to that fire. A 1/2 ton could get just about any 5er rolling down the highway. It would certainly be overloaded with just about any. And getting the dang thing stopped safely, especially going down hill would be a serious challenge. Which is I suspect the point dfb was making. If your going to use words like "HYPE" don't be surprised when you get push back.

It isn't "HYPE" to want to tow safely. Having a little more truck than you actually need is just wisdom.

When I was a youngster, I took all sorts of risks. The older I get the more I realize the possible consequences of taking risks. Granted you have to be reasonable, it isn't reasonable to tow a 5er with a full blown 18 wheeler tractor BUT it is reasonable to tow with a 1 ton DRW!! And after all that is the point of this now 8 page debate!!!!!

Every DRW advocate on here understands if your circumstances require you have the narrower SRW (IE: you use it as an everyday driver in a major metro area or you can't afford a second smaller vehicle). BUT at the same time just because YOU own an SRW is it really necessary for you to not admit to the facts that a DRW is a superior TOWING platform?? It has more tow capacity and it IS a more stable truck with better under load braking!! Granted if your CURRENT 5er is under the tow capacity of your SRW have at it. Just down come down on those of us who want a little extra or may be planning for a future upgrade to something larger.

How about we all just agree to be as SAFE as we REASONABLY can be based on our own circumstances?

I can't wait for the next newbee to ask this same question again LOL.......
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
Old 06-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #147
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Well no. New F150 Fords can haul 3300 pounds and tow 13300 pounds when properly equipped. My HC dry weight is 9400 pounds with a hitch weight of 1780 pound. I wouldn’t feel safe pulling my HC with an F150.
Lynwood
3300 lb of total truck payload is not much for any fifth wheel, by the time you account for the hitch, other gear, passengers or any other options on the truck that are not accounted for in the base number. Those things alone will probably be about half the available payload leaving the likelyhood of exceeding the trucks payload number. If anything is loaded into the trailer there will certainly be some of that weight added to the pin too. So it kinda (just like like my comment) is defeating the purpose of having a half ton for towing a fifth wheel. Your HC is at the upper end of what I'd call modest and you yourself said you wouldn't feel safe. I've seen pix of F150s jack-knifed and rolled over while towing a fiver clearly to big for it. My point is it's just not a smart move for most, if not all, people with a fifth wheel RV.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
Old 06-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #148
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Don't weigh because I don't care, its an RV and therefore exempt from the regulations that restrict commercial applications. You drive by the scales, Why ? Because they don't give a rats arse about RV's for the most part.

If it doesn't look safe on the road, I'm pretty sure you are getting pulled over...

Way too much worry and fretting over weights..... A few hundred lbs over on pin weight matters how ???

Everyone quoting safety ????

Really........... I can license my 2500hd or my 3500hd to haul a way more weight under commercial applications, just pay the man and away you go....

They care about commercial application weights because they want your money !

RV's are not YET Commercially restricted but many on this site and others seem to get the two confused.

I don't care when I hook up to my RV, I do care when I hook up to a tandem or dual axle flat bed trailer with a backhoe or dozer or a bunch of ATV's on it as I then fall into the Commercial application...

OMG its like a bunch of baby's fighting over rattles on this weight and dually vs SRW is ue.

Bottom line if you want a dually buy a dually, if you want a SRW buy an SRW its different strokes for different folks, what works for me may not for you but quit jamming your philosophy and your particular needs down everyone's throats...

If you don't have to worry about the Commercial regs and will be towing an RV then don't let the weights bother you much, today most of these 2500 & 3500 trucks will do the job just fine. You drive on by the scales as if they aren't even there, try it in the same truck with a tri-axle or tandem flatbed loaded and see how far ya get.....
Old 06-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #149
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster100 View Post
Don't weigh because I don't care, its an RV and therefore exempt from the regulations that restrict commercial applications. You drive by the scales, Why ? Because they don't give a rats arse about RV's for the most part.

If it doesn't look safe on the road, I'm pretty sure you are getting pulled over...

Way too much worry and fretting over weights..... A few hundred lbs over on pin weight matters how ???

Really........... I can license my 2500hd or my 3500hd to haul a way more weight under commercial applications, just pay the man and away you go....

RV's are not YET Commercially restricted but many on this site and others seem to get the two confused.

I don't care when I hook up to my RV, I do care when I hook up to a tandem or dual axle flat bed trailer with a backhoe or dozer or a bunch of ATV's on it as I then fall into the Commercial application...

OMG its like a bunch of baby's fighting over rattles on this weight and dually vs SRW is ue.

Bottom line if you want a dually buy a dually, if you want a SRW buy an SRW its different strokes for different folks, what works for me may not for you but quit jamming your philosophy and your particular needs down everyone's throats...

If you don't have to worry about the Commercial regs and will be towing an RV then don't let the weights bother you much, today most of these 2500 & 3500 trucks will do the job just fine. You drive on by the scales as if they aren't even there, try it in the same truck with a tri-axle or tandem flatbed loaded and see how far ya get.....

Well said, THANKS!
I’m like you I could care less!
Lynwood
Old 06-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #150
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster100 View Post

I don’t think folks are talking weight so much from a what’s legal viewpoint but rather from a what is safe outlook at least on this 5th wheel RV forum. Considering that most of the folks towing 5th campers are not commercial professional drivers I think it is very wise for them to seek advise on what is REASONABLY SAFE.

Anyone seeking advice on here deserves to get it. That’s the main purpose of the forum is it not?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
Old 06-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #151
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Last post..... I do care.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #152
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Good for you to care, but that is you ! As I said I can buy weight for my truck that puts it way beyond what the spec's are, I pay for it every year when I renew my license plates.

The trucks are safe, how do I know, because I also have to get it Safety Certified every year along with paying for the extra weight.

You don't have to do that if you strictly stay pulling an RV.....

People talking about 200-600 lbs over the suggested manufacturers numbers (the ones that they attach to it for the base DOT/MOT licensing) making a truck unsafe is poppy cock......
Old 06-09-2018, 06:16 PM   #153
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Why doesn't the moderator close this thread down, it is NOT constructive anymore and is starting to get a little personal.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #154
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
AGREE.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:03 PM   #155
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKassl View Post
Why doesn't the moderator close this thread down, it is NOT constructive anymore and is starting to get a little personal.
AGREE. When people start taking things personal it's time to move on.This one big happy family isn't to happy on this subject. This sounds like a bunch of old people repeating them selves. Oh, i forgot, we are old.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #156
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The easiest way to shut this thread down is to NOT READ OR RESPOND to it!!

Old 06-09-2018, 07:36 PM   #157
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Well the hint didn't seem to take!
Thread closed.

Closed Thread