Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
Kiwi2000
Established Member

M.O.C. #22217
Slow slides

I just took my 5er out of storage and had it plugged into house current for a day or so. I went to use my slides and they came out fine but did not retract in the same manner that they went out. If I plug in a truck will it charge the battery faster than house current will if the truck is running? How long do I have to charge on house current to recharge the battery?

Thanks

Kiwi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #2
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Not sure what you mean when you say that they didn't retract in the same manner that they went out. If by that you mean that the sequence of coming in was different from going out, I think that's normal since the hydro fluid is taking the path of least resistance and some a smaller slide might move before a large one, then stop and go back to a different one.

As to your other question, I'm pretty sure that shore power will charge the batteries quicker than your truck. How long it takes just depends on your charger output and the condition of your batteries.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If your battery died in storage it could be damaged beyond it's ability to recharge.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:10 AM   #4
Kiwi2000
Established Member

M.O.C. #22217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
If your battery died in storage it could be damaged beyond it's ability to recharge.
Yes it could be many things.

I was thinking how about if I plug the 5th into my 30 amp electric range outlet? I think the cord would reach. Any issues with doing so other than a more rapid charge rate?
Old 04-13-2019, 07:47 AM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
The onboard Converter will out put more current than most truck charging circuits.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #6
Kiwi2000
Established Member

M.O.C. #22217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
The onboard Converter will out put more current than most truck charging circuits.
I will keep it plugged into 15 amp and hope for the best. Thank you.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #7
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
A couple of other points to consider.....

Cold weather will affect speed of slides
When is the last time you cleaned and lubricated the gear packs and bearings in the gear packs

Lippert recommends a couple of drops of synthetic oil on the bearings themselves. And dry graphite spray on the gear teeth and the guide support rid teeth will make for a smoother, quieter, and faster moving slide
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:45 AM   #8
Kiwi2000
Established Member

M.O.C. #22217
All good now.

I just tried the slides this morning and they are working just fine. I think the problem might have been the lack of time to charge the battery after taking it out of storage. We turned on all of the lights after we opened the slides and according to the manual one light equals one amp, thirty lights would be more than the amperage coming in. Then trying to run the slides after having all of the lights on, there was the problem.

Anyway all good now and thanks to everyone who chimed in with assistance and I will know better for next time, let it charge first!