Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #21
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

I was asked by my Dr. what kind of coffee I drank and I told him Maxwell House. He shook his head and said do you know where the majority of coffee is grown? I naturally said South America and he shook his head no and said no its Viet Nam. Grown in the fields where all that Agent Orange was in the Viet Nam war. He said get true Colombian coffee, you don't need anymore of that agent orange stuff, you already have plenty.

I no longer drink Maxwell House!!

Dave
Good to know, and makes sense.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:56 AM   #22
mrtgraz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11349
Never wash a coffee pot just like you never put milk into your beer glass..oh boy you guys.Im with the OZZ on this one. Dont wash my pot women!
mrtgraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:17 AM   #23
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The reasoning behind just rinsing and not using any soap (and me and vinegar DON'T mix) is to avoid ANY chance of soap odor or residue from remaining in the pot which would alter the coffee's flavor. Do get a good coffee bean to start with, too. While Maxwell House, Folgers, etc. aren't it, I do understand many who are okay with these, especially if they "add" stuff to their cup. I prefer to just use hot water and just rinse the pot and all parts real good, but my wife is a real germophobe and doesn't accept that's good enough. She'll wash each part with dish soap or put it in the dishwasher at the stickhouse and it will include the plastic lid, and the plastic dispenser and the metal/plastic filter parts, too. Whatcha gonna do. It's acceptable.

I think anyone not doing this is mostly lazy and/or not particularly interested in the original coffee flavor. I am a big fan of original coffee flavor and I don't use ANY sweeteners or creamers, except when I'm looking for that extra edge like liquored up coffees like a Mexican or Irish coffee.

It took me a long time to like coffee until I learned that drinking the sludge the guys made at work were awful because of the years of sludge that had developed on the "equipment" was the cause and these veterans preferred this flavor only because they were looking to stay awake and no one wanted to "do the dishes". They let me take over the coffee duties and one of the first things I did was thoroughly clean everything, then rinsed it real good and found that perfect ratio (1.5 tablespoons of ground to each cup) and some of these veterans even started to drink coffee black since it tasted so good, by itself!

I like the original coffee flavor so much, I drink my restaurant Espresso BLACK - doing this in Europe sure got me some strange looks, especially when I ordered a second one!

Bottoms Up!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #24
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

...................At home we go through one pot a day, at the tire store it's 4 to 6 pots every day. The pots are I don't know if that means I make good coffee or that the other places in town have bad coffee.
I think it means they like FREE coffee!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #25
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Folgers lite which is 1/2 decaf. Run the pot through the dishwasher about 1/month but rinse daily. I do enjoy flavored coffees especially chocolat/mint. I will sometimes mix with my lite which kind of defeats the purpose but I'm the only one who drinks it so I can do what I want, for once. My big question is when making coffee do you use 1 spoonful for each cup or for every two cups?
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #26
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
We do something in our rig that most probably do not. We use an old fashioned stainless steel perculator. We got it as a wedding gift in 1973. It makes far better coffee than any drip machine we have ever owned!We also use coffee from a company called Barnies that is based in Orlando. Some of the best I have ever had!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #27
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
We are all a little wacky, but it doesn't mean you are crazy. Merry Christmas!
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #28
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
I agree with Art on the reason for NOT washing is the soap that can be left behind.
In the other hand, the reason FOR washing and vinegar treatment periodically is to remove the coffee oil residue, which can impart a bitter flavor.
The coffee variety, roast and grind make a huge difference, especially when drinking it black.
We use a local roaster's coffee from Baton Rouge. This is Columbian grown, Arabica. We prefer dark roast. We buy beans for the Italian espresso machine, which has to be ground just right to work with the strainer. We use a course grind in the French press, which we get already ground. The french press is ALL stainless steel, and is what we take with us when camping.

"River Road" coffee was chosen as favorite by a group that hiked up McKinley and made coffee at the summit that each climber brought with them.
You can read about "RIver Road" coffee here:
http://riverroadcoffees.com/rrc/
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #29
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We use the Saeco Incanto which always gives us the perfect cup every time.
About once a week rinse off the brewer internal mechanism as per directions.
Use the Colombian Supremo from Costco. Love the ease and constant taste of
my coffee.
Navy coffee from the ship was something else. When it was my turn to make a pot
I found the dirty old cleaning sponge in the pot. You know what, no one ever complained
about the taste!
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #30
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I make the coffee at our house- I use 100% columbian coffee from Walmart- It's not the cheapest but everyone who drinks it gives me compliments- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #31
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
In the restaurant biz, we used to fill the coffee pots with carbonated soda water and let stand overnight, dump them out and fill up with fresh coffee in the morning. Definitely no soap!
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #32
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
As far as scoops, we use 2.5 scoops per Mr. Coffee: 12 cup pot. I don't know how big the scoops are, the scoop came with the plastic coffee container.
fauch, I read the link about Coffee, now Sue wants to get one of those 1 cup at a time deals.. you are costing me money buddy..
Old 12-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #33
pvcoach
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5424
Ozz - No Soap! Rinse and scrub is OK, just like cast iron.

2022 Montana 3781, 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
pvcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #34
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
we used to clean the ones in the restaurant with crushed ice and salt...swirl it around, does a great job. we use the keurig now for everything from coffee to cocoa to sweet tea.
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #35
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:By simonsrf

You are probably right.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #36
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

Quote:
quote:By simonsrf

You are probably right.
..and good company..

Old 12-27-2012, 04:07 AM   #37
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
Ozz, My father was an ol' Tugboat Captain and he used an old percolator coffee pot to make coffee, and he rarely rinsed it out let alone washed it out. That however was because he didn't like the "tinny" taste from the pot, and he liked his coffee bitter. flash to current times and current pots and you have mostly Glass pots and drip coffee makers. No tin. So, unless you like the bitter taste that coffee grounds build up leave, it is best to Wash and rinse thoroughly the pot.
Oh, and BTW, we too like our coffee flavored, only we like to grind the coffee beans fresh and use half Hazelnut and half Vanilla Nut mixed.

Happy New Year!
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:48 AM   #38
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hey, that mix sounds good!
Makes sense, I guess Sue knows what she is doing after all. Now I have to tell her, I am wrong again.
I see a pattern developing..
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #39
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
we could probably start another conversation over in the maintenance topics about what coffee "grinds"/grounds do to the slide valve in your grey water tank outlet :-(
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #40
michael346LBQ
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13110
The DW uses the K cup machine decaf , im into the caffien i tried a few variatys of the Kcup flavors and found i have to add flavord creamer to drink them so far i havent found one i like, so i drink my Hills Bros 100% Colombian Dark roast and make it in my Bunn coffee maker, i dont mind trying differant brands i have had greek made and coffee made thru a french press and the old perculators i love good strong coffee's.
michael346LBQ is offline   Reply With Quote