Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Artillery Ridge, Gettysurg ,PA

We arrived today after a long, long time through DC traffic. I looked at the map last night and decided to take a more inland route, but my smart son said it would be just as fast to take 95 to 495 around DC. Yeah! Right! It has been raining for two days. There were accidents and traffic was snarled. We covered 50 miles in 2 hours, and the whole 111 miles in 4 hours. GO FIGURE!

We are in Site #50 if you are in the area.

Anyhow, there is a Montana in #49 and I had an opportunity to see them when I was walking Miya. I asked if they knew about the Montana Owner's Club. Guess what? George and Rosetta Person (Jay Bird) had already given them a MOC card, so now they have two. They asked some general questions about the MOC and I answered as truthfully as I know. There names are Harold and Susan Barbe, so look for them to maybe jump in here some day.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:52 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Been at that C.G as it is a P.A C.G... Very nice area, much to see and do.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:08 AM   #3
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

There's an interesting article in the June 09 issue of Good Sam's Highways magazine titled "From Monticello To Gettysburg".The map on page 32 of the article highlights all the major points of intersst on/off Highway 15.From Jefferson's house to National Museum of Civil War Medicine in Fredrick Va./to Gettysburg Pa.

Looks like an awesome trip through American History...have a great time!!!
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I was just in Gettysburg on June 2-3 but stayed at the KOA since I was not towing and used their Kabins. I was helping my Brother move from Maryland back to California and we decided to spend some time at Gettysburg.

We are both very serious history buffs and we wanted to check out the new Gettysburg museum prior to the long drive back to California. It was very impressive! I am ready to go back there! It is such a hallowed, highly-respected place and just seeing and reading all the information about both sides can put a lump in one's throat.

I definitely need to check into the P.A. membership! Next time I go there I WILL have my Monty and will spend several days in the area.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Art,
If you join PA, use my number as a reference as it will get me $10 off my next years registration. Then number is:

C477540

Yes, the Gettysburg area is rich in history. I could never have fought as they did, under the conditions that they did. I like duck and cover and those boys fought standing up and moving forward. The Diorama at the Artillery Ridge CG was great, as was the move "Gettysburg." We will go back again some time and tour more of the area, and of course, Amish country around Lancaster. (Stay at Roamer's Retreat)
Old 06-11-2009, 04:38 AM   #6
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
we are due in Gettysburg on Sat. We meet with people at a membership campground, We got a certificate when we recently bought the Montana. For sitting thru the sales pitch, get 30 days camping. We do like the area but since we fulltime starting in Oct, sure not interested in any membership. We did camp a few years ago using PA at Artillary Ridge.
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We were at Artillery Ridge in March. Be sure to see the diorama at AR (Make sure you watch the re-enactment)and the museum also. Both are awesome. The battlefield was inspirational. We were at Jamestown, Yorktown and Manassas, but there was something about Gettysburg, a feeling I can't describe.
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #8
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We just did the same DC traffic over the weekend on Sat. to Virginia. Just could not figure why so much stand still traffic. Seems anytime there was a ramp yielding onto 495 it became a bottle neck. Got smarter and took 95-301 on the way home. Added some miles and time but better than sitting in traffic. Whew..... was not fun for us either. Once I was there I could have kicked myself in the butt for going that way! Oh well, we all learn from experience. Never again for us.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Okay waynem, since you offered first I'll use your reference on the PA membership. I copied and pasted your number into an email and sent it to my TO DO list.

As for their warfare tactics, standing up and moving forward is to put it lightly. How about, they ran up hill wearing wool and linen in July heat and humidity for 1.5 miles out in the open with single shot rifles. It bordered on mindless but was an incredible example of discipline. And General Meade of the Union got himself fired for not chasing the Confederates after the battle because his troops were tired from killing them and defending the high ground.

I have been to other areas like Hershey and its chocolate factory, and Lancaster and its Amish area. Great areas to visit
Old 06-17-2009, 03:57 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Art, thanks for using the reference #.

Yes, when I was touring the museum the wool coats and trousers were very apparent and I even exclaimed to my DW how hot it must have been in the summers for them. Can you imagine the dehydration factor? Wow!

The area is rich in history. Anyone traveling should take a short tour through the area, but a week or more is really necessary to see it all.

California has PA places mostly in the Northern and Southern portions of the state. The Central portion only has a couple. You can look at the states you are interested in at Passport America. As stated, just staying 4 nights anywhere will give you your return on annual dues.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We just pulled into Artillery Ridge Campground for five nights and with PA and Good Sam's, we saved $78.00. That feels good.

We're in site 100 in an SOB. I already spotted a Montana. We're looking forward to all the activities.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #12
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have been to Gettysburg several times, the last being a couple of years ago. We got the CD for the auto-tour and took 2 1/2 days to take the 2-3 hour tour. We were awed at what we saw. We were on foot on all of the battlegrounds and could see quite close to what the soldiers saw. Lee was known as a great tactician and was but he and all of the others were products of their times and histories. Looking at it with 20/20 hindsight, it is difficult to understand some of their moves. The tremendous courage of all involved is actually felt when here. Truly awesome!
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Agree with Jim. We've been at Artillery Ridge, twice, and Round Top CG the first time. We, like the Denners, enjoyed the PA discounts. Our last trip there we took our granddaughters to enjoy the history.

Once we did the bus tour. Then we did the audio tour Jim mentioned and took three days to complete it, allowing us to experience it. The last time, with our granddaughters, we did the personal tour with the guide who drove our truck. That was ok but we got far too much detail and he lost the girls (granddaughters) early on and even lost me before it was over. That was probably my fault. He asked how much detail I wanted and I told him enough to understand the flow of the battle. I should have let him know to switch to less detail but didn't.

Tommy's Pizza is excellent, right there in Gettysburg. In my opinion of pizza we've sampled in our travels, Tommy's is tied for second with Mystic Pizza in Mystic, CT. Jamestown Pie Company, Jamestown, VA, is still the one to beat, in my opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for the reminder about Jamestown Pie Company, Steve. We're headed there next for ten days, a week of it with our granddaughters and two sons and, of course, our grandson who is a pizza fanatic. What a great trip we're having....having enjoyed sticky buns in Shipshewana and looking forward to pizza at Jamestown Pie Company.

Just wish you guys were here for Montana plus one SOB rally!
Old 06-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Hey, Steve, we saw Tommy's pizza today so it's on the schedule for Monday night! Come on over, we'll let YOU buy!
Old 06-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #16
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Somehow, having Pizza in such a hallowed area as Gettysburg just seems a little odd. You should be indulging in hard tack, fatback, and camping coffee....but pie sounds good and authentic.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:31 AM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
But, Art and Margie, you must realize that rving is not about seeing the world. It's about finding the best places to eat!! Thus, we are honoring such a place by indulging in its pizza.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:36 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Glenn's Brother is a tour guide (is that right Glenn) in Gettysburg and at the MOC rally we had there he came to the C.G and did a incredible presentation then took us on a personal guided by him bus tour that was up close and personal. We had been there before but this was the best.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:00 AM   #19
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Glenn told me that his brother moved and is no longer in Gettysburg. Maybe he's searching for pizza palaces?!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #20
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The tour guides doing an incredible job and are passionate about the battle. We took a bus tour and it was a very enjoyable experience. The bus driver said that some of the guides quit very lucrative jobs to be a guide because they love the Gettysburg experience so much. There are also licensed personal guides who go out with families or small groups for a fee. They seems to be very popular and very informative.

This is a great place to vacation, even for people like me who didn't pay attention during history class.