Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
Canceled factory order...but wait,there's more.

Last Sunday we ordered a new 3730fl Legacy. Deposit down, order signed.
Monday , dealer called Keystone to check where we might be scheduled for build. Keystone told dealer no more 3730/31s coming down line ...there is going to be a design change.
Looks like the FL is going to get a bath and a half. One manufacturer, Open Range has that Floorplan and another, Primetime Sanibel has it on the way. I hope that Montana kinda follows their designs.
Although disappointed at first, we are OK with the cancelation. We will be interested in still getting the new FL if..if Montana keeps the Legacy package, Front Windshield, 2 doors.
Sounds like August for prototype , September for builds, so we wait...trying to feel positive.

jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That is a problem ordering this time of year.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandlaurie View Post
...Sounds like August for prototype , September for builds, so we wait...
Building an RV is like building a house. When the manufacturer/builder says, "it will be ready in September" you ask, "what year?"
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #4
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
if they are adding a half bath, I don't see where they will put it unless they plan to lengthen the trailer by about 2 feet and shorten the kitchen area.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #5
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
Update to with there's more..We went to our dealer's open house yesterday to talk about the new model FL, and after talking with the dealership owner about the new model , the design ,possible delivery times, etc, we got a bit spooked. In the past we also liked the FK, but hadn't got back and really looked at it. As fate would have it the dealer has a 3820FK in the interior color we like and with the Legacy package. So the DW and I did a long walk through and sit down in it and decided that it will work for us . the only thing we needed on it was slide toppers added.
Since we already had the finance work done on the old deal , it was just a numbers game … so we are scheduled for PDI, which I discussed at length with the dealer and we are scheduled for the 23rd. Gives us time to clean out 5 years of junk etc out of our 3750fl.
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Congrats on the new unit. We also looked hard at the 3820FK before making our choice.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Sounds like everything turned out good in the end.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #8
DerekG
Established Member

M.O.C. #19706
Honestly, I’d see it as a good thing. This gives you a chance to check out some other brands and not get stuck with Keystone junk. I have a 2017 3810MS legacy that I bought new....biggest pile of crap I’ve ever owned. When I looked into why these new units are such piles, I was let in on the incentives that are given to the workers at the factory...”produce at least “x” units a day & you can go home with full pay”. See how that works with quality vs quantity? Trash. Find another brand.
DerekG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekG View Post
Honestly, I’d see it as a good thing. This gives you a chance to check out some other brands and not get stuck with Keystone junk. I have a 2017 3810MS legacy that I bought new....biggest pile of crap I’ve ever owned. When I looked into why these new units are such piles, I was let in on the incentives that are given to the workers at the factory...”produce at least “x” units a day & you can go home with full pay”. See how that works with quality vs quantity? Trash. Find another brand.
Were did you get that information.We have attended the fall rally in Goshen every year since 2006 and have toured the factory every year and have been at the service center several times for warranty work on our Montana's .The assembly starts up at about the same time every morning and the day is done at about the same time..

We will ask at the factory about these incentives as we have not heard that before.Perhaps it is new???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #10
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Were did you get that information.We have attended the fall rally in Goshen every year since 2006 and have toured the factory every year and have been at the service center several times for warranty work on our Montana's .The assembly starts up at about the same time every morning and the day is done at about the same time..

We will ask at the factory about these incentives as we have not heard that before.Perhaps it is new???
Would certainly like to know whether true or rumor.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #11
DerekG
Established Member

M.O.C. #19706
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post

I have a family member that has been a RV dealer for about 30 years. He had sold keystone products (as well as others) until about 5-7 years ago or so. He simply didn’t have enough staff to deal with the warranty work on all the units coming back nd his PDI was taking him twice as long as prior. The ONLY reason I bought a Montana is that my girlfriend (we both travel for work) just haaaaad to have the big bedroom/closet/bathroom of the 3810ms and nobody else had a floor plan like that. Anyway, I thought I might get lucky and have a unit that was put together with a slight bit of adherence to QC but I didn’t. I inquired to my family member RV dealer and that’s when I learned about the way Keystone was running their factories.

Oh, and I’m in Anchorage for the next three months and upon inquiring about upgradeing brakes and adding air suspension.....the local RV/trailer repair place informed me that Keystone products are the worst that they see coming through their shop.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:51 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We will be at the factory as we have been every fall rally since 2006. We have access to keystone management as they are at the rally. We will be asking questions about how "incentives" work. In fact we can ask the workers.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:13 AM   #13
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekG View Post
....He simply didn’t have enough staff to deal with the warranty work on all the units coming back and his PDI was taking him twice as long as prior....

...I inquired to my family member RV dealer and that’s when I learned about the way Keystone was running their factories.

...the local RV/trailer repair place informed me that Keystone products are the worst that they see coming through their shop.
To your specific allegations that I noted...

1) Short staffed would necessarily mean longer PDI times And warranty work would take up inordinate time to resolve... not a Keystone issue, but rather a dealership issue.

2) Factory work processes... is a claim by a dealership without proof, could be an agenda to direct sales toward more expensive or higher profit margin units. Just sayin'.

3) Repair facilities saying one brand is the worst would go against their "raison d'etre". As a repair facility, I'd want the units that are in need of repairs, the more the better... that would be my bread and butter. In theory, the most solidly built reliable units would be the worst for my bottom line since they would never end up in my shop. Again, just sayin'. Sometimes one has to cut thought the double speak to get to the truth.

Sooooo... what I'm hearing is a lot of opinion, anecdotal evidence, but little in the way of verifiable facts. I'm not defending Keystone but others on here seem to be, by and large, satisfied with their purchases. Clearly yours did not go so well. Perhaps you can illuminate your issues and what you attempted to do to resolve it/them so we all can learn from your experience rather than just bash the product.

Is it possible your expectations are unreasonably high and thus your dissatisfaction "pain threshold" is more easily breached?

The only reason I say these things, is we are considering the 3810/3811 MS for our future rig, so your issues could be relevant to our research. The shrillness of your tone... makes me not want to listen(read) any further but then how is that productive for either of us?

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #14
DerekG
Established Member

M.O.C. #19706
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
To your specific allegations that I noted...

1) Short staffed would necessarily mean longer PDI times And warranty work would take up inordinate time to resolve... not a Keystone issue, but rather a dealership issue.

2) Factory work processes... is a claim by a dealership without proof, could be an agenda to direct sales toward more expensive or higher profit margin units. Just sayin'.

3) Repair facilities saying one brand is the worst would go against their "raison d'etre". As a repair facility, I'd want the units that are in need of repairs, the more the better... that would be my bread and butter. In theory, the most solidly built reliable units would be the worst for my bottom line since they would never end up in my shop. Again, just sayin'. Sometimes one has to cut thought the double speak to get to the truth.

Sooooo... what I'm hearing is a lot of opinion, anecdotal evidence, but little in the way of verifiable facts. I'm not defending Keystone but others on here seem to be, by and large, satisfied with their purchases. Clearly yours did not go so well. Perhaps you can illuminate your issues and what you attempted to do to resolve it/them so we all can learn from your experience rather than just bash the product.

Is it possible your expectations are unreasonably high and thus your dissatisfaction "pain threshold" is more easily breached?

The only reason I say these things, is we are considering the 3810/3811 MS for our future rig, so your issues could be relevant to our research. The shrillness of your tone... makes me not want to listen(read) any further but then how is that productive for either of us?

I own the unit and I see the workmanship. I’m lot here to change your mind with my opinion. My opinion is based on the actual experience of ownership and I will NOT be owning another Keystone product. I hope the QC has improved, it at least you get a unit that was built by a more conscientious crew. Cheers.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #15
hackeagle01

M.O.C. #19653
Sounds like they are following the Keystone Alpine 3700 FL & 3701 FL design... A lot more storage too. Bath &1/2 etc. The 2019's have added solar prep (standard) and solor panels as an option in that Alpine. I changed to Alpine from Montana when I saw that floorplan.
hackeagle01 is offline   Reply With Quote