Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2006, 03:00 AM   #1
Dont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6371
Send a message via MSN to Dont Send a message via Yahoo to Dont
Tank Heating

How are the tanks heated, my other fifth wheel had a switch to turn on to heat the tanks but on my 2007 3400RL I can,t fine one. I had a open Road before I got the Montana

Dont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:05 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dont,
They are heated with the propane furnace. There is circulation under the floor for warm air.
Just don't heat exclusively with electric heaters for obvious reasons.
I put sensors under there to monitor the temperatures so I could supplement the propane heat with electric and not freeze anything.
Good luck,
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:44 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dont

How are the tanks heated, my other fifth wheel had a switch to turn on to heat the tanks but on my 2007 3400RL I can,t fine one. I had a open Road before I got the Montana
If your previous fifth wheel had a switch which turned on the heat to the tanks, I'm guessing you had the option of heat blankets on the tanks. These are operated by 12V. We had them on our Teton which allowed us to be out in some mighty cold -0 °F) weather without danger of freeze up. Our Montana does not have the arctic heat blankets around the tanks but so far, in 6 years of full-timing, even in subteen temps, we have not had any freeze up. I believe there is sufficient heat from the furnace to keep the tanks from freezing. That means that you have to run your furnace at night if the temperature is going to drop below freezing. We know some people who use only a space heater (catalytic) in freezing weather (furnace not running) and they have had pipes freeze.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:29 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Plus we are well insulated. It has been 27-28 degrees here at night and one night we did not have the furnace on and have had no ill effects. We now have it set to 49. The night we did not have it on, I went out there the next morning and it was still very comfortable in there. Granted the low temps are not for very many hours here, just from 3AM to 7AM. Unusual for us BTW. But I'm finally going to get to wear my beautiful coat we bought in Alaska!
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We were down to 18 last night. It's 17 right now (9 pm). The forecast is for 15 tonight, 12 tomorrow night. The low one night this weekend is to be 9. The 2007 Montanas are tested not to freeze down to zero. That test was at zero so they may go lower without freezing. That is with the furnace running periodically, though. The test to zero degrees is in the 2007 Montana brochure. The other info is what I was told when I asked Keystone this question awhile back. We have the same model and year as you.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote