Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2006, 06:56 AM   #1
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
A sad day in our household

It is a very sad day here, I had to have my beloved German Shepherd, Hannah, put down. Her hips were causing her so much pain that it was the only humane solution. She was too old for surgery, not that it would have helped her, the Vet said she was in a lot of pain, she could not get into the truck, even with the ramp, without me picking her up and helping her and getting in and out of the Montana was also difficult. She started to get up yesterday and fell back down. When we bought her from the breeder she was a little ball of fluff, she actually picked us, we put Brian (2 yrs old then) in the pen with all of the puppies and she followed him around, we went back a week later and sure enough when we put Brian into the pen she made a beeline for him and trailed behind him. She was the sweetest most loyal companion a family could ever ask for, she loved the Montana and riding in the truck. She never growled at or bit anyone and she just loved kids. Sorry to rattle on but she deserves recognition. We will have her ashes with us until the end.

Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:08 AM   #2
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
I am SO sorry for your loss. It brought tears to my eyes as I read your tribute to Hannah. You did the right thing. Sometimes the right thing is the hardest thing but we have to do what is best for our beloved pet. She will always hold her own special place in your heart and you will have nice memories, like you shared, to carry with you forever.

My heart goes out to you and your family. We have three dogs (as you can see by our photo) and our oldest is almost 13 and we can see he is failing also as time goes on. Just know we understand the pain when you lose a fur member of your family.

Hugs to all of your family.
Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:16 AM   #3
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Sorry for your loss. We've lost 2 shepards to the hip problem.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:20 AM   #4
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Old GI,
That was one of the kindest, sweetest things I have ever read. It is obvious how much you and your family loved Hannah.
We have an old golden Retriever, Gus, who is in the twillight of his years. He was a wedding present and he's Steve's best bud. I dread the day we have to make that same trip to the vet...
Our thoughts are with you...
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:32 AM   #5
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
My ROTTIE is named Hanna........and she has bad hips also but seems to be ok right now..but she is 11 years old and your story struck a cord with me.
Perhaps I'll be righting the same story here at some time in the future. Dog or child same love to me.

I'm sorry for your loss OLD GI.

My Hanna pict:http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...2982&members=1
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:33 AM   #6
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

click on click to begin
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:47 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ditto what Carol (of Chuck and Carol) just posted.

May the thought of your Hannah at the bridge with no more pain and romping thru the fields bring you some peace.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:57 AM   #8
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Thanks Chuck and Carol, that is beautiful......Pete
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:17 AM   #9
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Pete - so sorry to hear the sad news. Our pets are like family to a lot of us. The provide us comfort, entertainment, relaxation, helps to keep us active, loyality, love, in some cases they keep us warm at night, brings smiles to our faces, waiting for you to get home at the door. And all they ask for us in return is to care for them and love them.
I know you are hurting and there is nothing I can say to help with that other than keep remembering the good times and maybe some day another pet will be placed in your care to love.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:56 AM   #10
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
My heart goes out to you in your loss. Anyone with a pet surely understands what you are going through. Pets don't ask that much from us but they give back sooooo much! Marilyn
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #11
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
There are no words to express how sad it is to lose a companion like your Hannah. A dogs love is truly unconditional and they give much more than you give to them. My heart goes out to you, I know how painful it is.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #12
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Old GI,

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my cow dog a couple months ago. I still walk out the back door and expect him to be laying there in front of his fan wagging his tail.
Chin up buddy.

Okie Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Pete
Our thoughts are with you and your family in this time of pain. We had to put our Danny to sleep after 15 years of love. He, too, was a small ball of fur and snuggle into my daughters neck when he was only a few hours old. We picked him up 8 weeks later. Your story reminded me of that moement. And so with tears I send my prayers to you.
Sue
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:22 PM   #14
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Sorry for your loss. We had to put one down. Didn't go to Vet. The lady from the shelter came here & did it in the garage. I think it was better than going to vet.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:01 PM   #15
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
OldGI our hearts are with you. We lost our beloved Cindy after 18 years last year and know your sadness.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #16
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
We are so sorry for your loss. Four years ago we had to put down our 17 year old yorki, and we know how very hard this is to do. Sounds like she had a wonderful home for her whole life and you had a wonderful friend.
rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:20 AM   #17
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
So sorry for your loss. I know all so well how attached we get.
Blondie is no longer with me on earth. Her dog tag is on the key chain so she gets to go anywhere the truck goes...just like she was alive. If we were to go somewhere without her she would pick up on the smallest details that we were going Bye Bye. We would have to get creative on sneaking out. If she knew we were going in the truck the race was on. I have thought many times that she would love the Mountaineer and the 4 door truck. She did not enjoy such luxury...not that she cared.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #18
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We also share your grief. We had to put down our baby kitty last summer. Hardest thing we ever did, but we know she is not in pain any longer. We had her for twenty two years and loved every minute of it. The rainbow bridge is a beautiful story and we know that our pets will be waiting for us on the other side.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:37 PM   #19
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Pete,

Sorry to hear of your loss I can relate and my thoughts are with during this time. Amazing how no matter how bad a day you are having they always greet you with happiness. Which leads me to believe that they never totally leave us they just move to a higher plane of living....

Take care....

Tom N Gina
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #20
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
From your post I gather that you had some wonderful years with your beloved pet. Pets are such wonders of the world. They pick up on your moods and love you unconditionally. They don't ask for much, just a pat on the head and food in the bowl, but they give so much in return. It is with a heavy heart that I say "You did the right thing." We can give them their dignity and free them from the bonds of pain that we can't do for our humane loved ones.

We own a pet boarding kennel so I run into this more often then I care to. We have had to experience it real close to home by losing two pets in the last year. Both pets, one 22 years old and one 1 1/2 are in small cedar boxes. I have them on a book shelf next to their pictures.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote