Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2006, 10:43 AM   #1
Cheri
Established Member

M.O.C. #6142
Maiden voyage in new Mountaineer 342PHT

Returned home yesterday from a 4 day trip to Long Beach, WA for the Kite Festival. We stayed in our favorite Washington State park--Cape Disappointment. First trip in the new rig and it went VERY well!

Highlights:

--Waves from 2 Montana owners on the highway and a thumbs up from the camp host who was also in a Montana
--Kids (our two youngest and a friend) in the bunkhouse with the door closed playing games or watching movies
--LOVE the bathroom all in one room that has a door. Perfect for our family, especially since we often have an "extra" kid or two with us
--Love the privacy of our bedroom
--Hubby did the set up, but says it was straightforward and easy
--Quality was fine. No problems with anything shaking loose or falling apart with a load.

Lowlights:

--Pantry door was ajar when we stopped. Can't see it with the LR slide closed and caught it in the slide when we started to open it. Thank goodness I realized something was amiss and we managed to only bend the hinge which Ray fixed easily. Would have taken the door off in chunks if we hadn't caught it
--After hubby's first shower, water was leaking under the stair into the entry. He is quite tall 6'4" so that may have been the problem--maybe causing water to spray over the top of the shower. Only happened once and we couldn't figure out where else it could be coming from so...wait and see I guess. Will mention it to the dealer.
--This unit has a very small kitchen that has woefully inadequate counter space. Have ordered a counter extension
--I'm 5'2" so always need hubby (or one of my tall daughters) to get stuff out of the tall cabinets. Will put a stool in the basement
--Bikes swung off the back bumper carry rack and had to be repositioned about half way home. Lots of nice folks pointed and honked so we knew there was a problem. Didn't happen on the trip out so I think it was "operator error" but won't raise that issue with DH

Overall: It is a PLUS PLUS PLUS! We love it! Minor issues to deal with or remember (like the slide issue), but that can all be handled. Friends camping with us thought the new Mountaineer was perfect and it absolutely meets the needs of our family.

THANK YOU to everyone on this forum who gives their expertise and experience so freely!

Next trip is to Lake Chelan for 5 days over Labor Day. Come see us if you are in the area!

Cheri

Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Glad to hear all went well on the maden voyage. We upgraded to the Mountianeer 342PHT this spring and love it for the reasons you stated. Also, the pantry door incident happened to us already... in our case a few days in the workshop in clamps was required. I have installed latches on both doors since. Also, be careful to remember the bedroom door. Left this open once already as well, but not damage as it was caught in time.

As for the shower leak, also watch the basement. Our shower lines came lose afer a month or so and started to leak. Other that that, no problems and we love it. Been from FL to PEI with it so far this year...

Safe Travels, Tim

06 F350 4wd PSD Crew
06 Mountianeer 34PHT
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Hey Cheri, glad to see things went well. We had the same problem with our pantry door. We solved that issue by installing new latches and also using the spring loaded refrigerator bars inside the pantry to hold the contents away from the door. Has worked great and the doors haven't come open since. Like Tcorbitt said, watch for that shower leak in the front basement also. This has been an ongoing issue for some time which Keystone can't seem to fix before these units leave the factory.

Me, "outnumbered" by three red heads...my dear wife
& 2 DD's, plus Sam & Taylor the yellow camping labs.
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4
8.1L big block/Allison
06 Mountaineer 319BHD w/Trailair Pin Box
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
CONGRATS on your new rig..

I see that a shower leek has surfaced….We had our Mountaineer 319 out on it’s first voyage this week end, and after 4 showers in the rig. I found a leek dripping from the wall under the front storage compartment.

I have not looked into the where yet………..
RLVoumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:56 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Well, hecky darn, sounds like you had a great first run. Hope the next is even better. Happy RVing...

Stiles n Dianna
"Life is an adventure unfolding"
03 3670RL Big Sky
02 Ford F250 Lariat Longbox 7.3L PSD
Hypertech Programmer III
Prodigy

Go to Top of Page

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:09 AM   #6
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Congrats on your new Rig! I know you'll have many more wonderful adventures.

Joy

Mel & Joy (1935)
Marysville, WA.
2002 GMC-Duramax/Allison
2004 3575RL

Our home is where you find us.

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetempbig/language/www/US/WA/Marysville.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Marysville, Washington Forecast" height=40 width=467[/img]
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Glad you had a good first trip. I'm sure you'll have many happy adventures ahead also. I believe some folks have had shower leaks because of loose fittings. We had to take the panels off our tub/shower and tighten ours.

Virgil and Karen
2000 3255RL
2006 F350 PSD 4x4
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:38 AM   #8
Cheri
Established Member

M.O.C. #6142
Thanks all for the info on the shower leak. We will get the dealer to fix it when we take the trailer back to Tacoma RV for a couple of other small things.

Cheri

Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:13 AM   #9
Backwoods
Established Member

M.O.C. #7498
I agree, our 342PHT unit is very nice indeed ! pulled just fabulous . Just make sure that you have the Bunk house door fully closed and latched when closing up the slides or you will damage the door/slide assembly, bend things break things etc.... (may need that extended warranty on the slide's now). The A.C. unit could use a bit more umph on cold air though. But it does stay cozy warm at night wich is a great +'er. 1'st trip to Fort stevens (in Oregon) went well, unit was not to bad to park, although we had a perfect spot to pull into. Will need to watch for the living room slide (up against the water poles etc..) as it pokes out ~3ft, also the sewer hook up, just buy a longer hose. the 1'st time we dumped the tankes here was just a great experience, my last TT took forever, I dumped all 3 tanks in my Mountineer in no time at all and was a breez to use the levers. cant wait to go out again. I believe we will be taking it in September with out the kids for out 13'th wedding anniversary. se ya all on the road.
BJ, Gaston Oregon.
Backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:13 AM   #10
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
How exciting for all of you. Isn't that first trip great? Have fun. Sue and Verle C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #11
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations and we hope you have many more good trips in it. You are not the only one to have a door problem. You learn those things as you go along. We put those child proof locks on the doors that could catch if they come open during travel.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #12
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
Great to hear everything went so well for you first trip! Don't you just love it! As I write this I am in "sweltering" Yuma AZ. and am a little envious of you being in Chelan this weekend. We usually go to the City park there every summer with our grandkids, as it is a wonderful park for kids, and an easy walk to town. Hope your weather is warm and sunny. Look forward to hearing about this trip. Check out the archives on shower leaks if you have anymore problems with the shower. Have Fun.

MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:27 AM   #13
Gumby56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6290
We are glad you had a good first run. We also ordered the counter extender but ended up sending it back. In our unit the end of the standard counter extends past the cabinet and the extender would only add a couple of inches of valuable counter space. You may want to measure for that!

One of the technicians at our dealer gave us a heads up on the LR slide and the pantry door. He suggest opening the slide so that you just have enough space to sneak by the counter/table and check the door. Apparently they have seen a lot of those issues!!

I would also suggest that you look into replacing the heating vents with Closeable vents. We found that when it gets colder the bunk room would get hot and the bedroom would be cold. They are standard vents so you can get replacements at Lowe's/Home Depot.

We love ours and go every weekend so any tips you have let us know!!!
Gumby56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:55 PM   #14
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Congrats on the first trip. I am sure it is the first of many to come.

I second Bobs vent comment. I did the exact same thing on my unit because the kitchen would be too hot. Now its all peaches and cream!

Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #15
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
It sounds like you had a great time and there should be many more to come.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote