Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2003, 02:59 PM   #1
Montana_539
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #539
The Saga Continues

Sometimes I feel the need to post - just to tell a story, and share the experiences on the road... so here comes another of my "adventures".

The Thanksgiving weekend found us on the road for our first trip of any length. Those that have followed our other (mis) adventures know that we just picked up our 3295 at the end of October, and managed a really interesting weekend on the California coast in driving rain, crazy drivers, 7% grades, all for the checkout...

So this time we actually had a few days off (unlike some of you truly fortunate owners that can fulltime - we have to work so we measure our trips in hours, or days - not months or years, sigh we're jealous). So we left the California Sierra foothills for the desert around Las Vegas. The folks at work told me this is a five hour drive. Humph, what do they know - and how did they get the money for all those Lamborghinis?

So here's the plan... Vicki had patients until 7:00pm and I was to nap and rest so that when we joined up I would drive and she could kick back and relax on the road. But then I had the packing, the pre-Thanksgiving dinner preparations, adding the foam topper to the mattress (thank heavens) so the nap never made it to the agenda. No problem we did manage to get started by 8:30 or so and the excitement is running high! Hamrad had offered to let us park out front at his place on the way - thanks again for a very generous offer - but I had it in mind to get those extra miles in so that we had more time to roast the bird on thanksgiving. So we pushed on and ended up pulling over at 1:00am or so (do I need to talk about the relative speed of a Lamborghini versus an F350 pulling the home?) Truck stop - but pretty quiet and a balmy 28 degrees in the nightime desert.

Needless to say, the next morning we finished the driving and pulled into Boulder Oaks RV Park in Boulder City. Hey - if you're headed to the area this is a really nice, clean, elegant park on the hills overlooking (if you stretch) Lake Mead. But only 20-30 min to the strip!

Now let's get to the real point of the story (finally you say). It's Friday after a sumtuous repast the night before, and I am outside determinied to put together the new hitch pin tripod brace for a little extra stabilization while parked. I was working on one side of the unit and needed to bounce over to the other basement door so I ducked under the pinbox instead of walking around...I mean I did this at a pretty good pace, 'cause I was excited, and everything was so much fun... You can see where this is going? At the last moment I saw that I was going to knock my eye out and ducked, but caught my head on the edge of that pinbox! Right at the eyebrow. (The emergency room in Boulder City is really nice, efficient, and friendly!)

Five stiches, a ($*%^ of a shiner, surgie tape, and a tetnus shot later I am feeling REALLY dumb. Oh well, live and learn.

Didn't slow us down too much - got to see The Blue Man Group at the Luxor (really good show), lot's of hiking, and generally goofing off. Finally got to at least meet the Butlers who were also staying at the same place, but only as we were packing up - just kept missing them.

All in all - still a great weekend. Since I was a day late getting back to work, I left a message that I would drive back after the swelling went down. (You wouldn't believe the stories that were going around the office - overdose of vitamin V, wrecked the fifth wheel, rank amateur at towing, etc...) Ya' gotta' love life!

Trygg, Vicki, and Bearboy the French Bulldog
2000 4X4 Ford F350, 7.3L, Long Bed, Ext Cab
2004 Big Sky 3295RK
Husky 16k, Prodigy
Payments till 3004

Montana_539 is offline   Reply With Quote