Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2005, 02:41 AM   #1
Montana_2892

M.O.C. #2892
Condensation

We ordered a 2004 Montana like we wanted it and took purchase March 2004, we are fulltimers. This is the first winter that we have stayed in a 5th wheel and ordered dual windows just for fulltiming.
We have had low teen temperatures and are experiencing a lot of window condensation, so bad that it runs down the wall and gets into the carpet and the small windows beside the bed are getting the bed covers wet. Is this normal? Is anyone else having this problem?
I plan on contacting a rep from Montana after I hear from some of you out there in camping land. I know this is not the same as a house, but still this is very aggreviating.

Montana_2892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:21 AM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
We too are full-timers and have been in some extremely cold temps lately. We don't have the double-paned windows but we have put film over them to help with drafts and, although we have a little condensation (hardly worth mentioning), we don't have the problems you are having. Are you running a Fantastic Fan, stove-top vent, or some other kind of vent when you're showering or cooking ... especially something like spaghetti? We've learned (the hard way, of course) that venting when you're creating a lot of steam inside can make a world of difference.

Hope you get this worked out ...

I almost forgot ... WELCOME TO MOC! I'm sure you'll enjoy participating here ... it's a fun/educational place to hang out.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:16 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Last fall when fall camping, it rained and rained and rained, and was COOL! We started leaving one of the ceiling vents open about 1/4 of an inch ALL THE TIME! In fact, I think we kept one open in the bedroom and the back one over the kitchen area.

This did not make the unit cold(er), in fact after sitting in one spot for a week, friends asked, us, how are you keeping this place so warm?? Furnace, and 2 electric heaters, again, one in bedroom, one in kitchen area. The foggy dripping had stopped and we were very comfy.

Please note: this was not sub freezing temps, but in low 40's.

However, we usually keep one vent open all the time anyway, just that 1/4 inch, for safety purposes, CO, and all that stuff. Even with that CO detector, we keep a vent open a bit, have been known to keep a window open a bit too. We have grown fond of waking up in the AM, vs, the other alternative. Can't be too safe.

Cheers, Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:34 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

in fact after sitting in one spot for a week
Carol, how did you manage to do that without getting very stiff and sore?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:00 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Good afternoon Steve,

Is it the sea air that has you funny these days??? Or, just being somewhere where you ain't frozen up?

And, in fact I did sit a lot that week, err two weeks. Since it was raining and nasty out, I sat and sewed xmas stockings for the twins, felt and lots of sequins, they take 80 hours each. I was WAY behind schedule for getting them done, so that was a perfect opportunity. I would sit long enough that I did get sore! And that don't count the sore fingers I got from sticking myself with needles! (Oh, I got the stockings done, plus one more for someone else, just HOURS before delivery time on December 19th!)

Steve - - You are too funny these days, Vicki, are you feeding him happy pills in his dinner??

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
We too are having a lot of condensation right now due to lots of rain, ours is running down the outside for the RV through the slots that are cut in the bottom of each window. I looked outside this morning and there are streaks running down each window. Now about a week ago I had it dripping off the ceiling but that was my fault because I do to much much cooking and forget to open a window. I cannot stand the stove fan it makes so much noise that you can't hear the TV unless you turn it wide open. We do not have the doubled paned windows so I would not know anything about them.

We would like to welcome you to the Moc and congratulations on your new Montana, We look forward to seeing all your post and hearing all about your great adventures. Happy RVing
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:03 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
There have been posts in the past on this so you might want to do a search. We had very bad mildew problems in our previous unit so besides leaving vents open, we use Dri-Z-Air. You can purchase at Camping World. Works really good. There is a black holder and you put the white crystal like things in the top and the water will form in the bottom. You'll be amazed at how fast the bottom fills up. We keep one in each room and will put one in the closet when the washer/dryer gets hooked up.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:16 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ed and Sue, I'm curious what these things cost, how much the refills cost, and how long they last. Can you enlighten?
We're not having condensation problems even in subfreezing weather but it never hurts to be aware of solutions in advance.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #9
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Steve, Sounds like the same thing we recently purchased at WalMart called DampRid. We purchased it upon reccomendation of several other RVer's here in FL. Bought one for the kitchen area and one to put in the bathroom. Then bought a 1/2 gal container of the refill crystal beads. The containers (which come with enough beads to fill them the first time) cost $2.26 each and the refill carton was $2.84. It is my understanding Damp Rid also makes one you can hang in the closet. Says on the box the initial beads should last for at least 4 weeks. I have had mine set up for 5 days now. The beads are becoming solid on top. We were warned to be careful and not spill this stuff because it can make a real mess, so I set mine back in a corner on the kitchen counter and in the corner by the toilet in potty room. It does seem to be helping some with the condensation. Figure at this price we can toss contents out when we get ready to move on and refill the containers upon arriving at our next stop.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:53 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Camping World is about the same price. Don't remember exactly but it is not a budget breaker. We do empty before moving and then refill the white stuff. They last from 3 to 4 weeks to 2 months depending on weather. We have four or five in our 3400. The refill bag is enough for 2 to 3 refills.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:31 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
This fall we have experience more than usually humid weather as have a lot of our full-time friends. What we found that helped the situation of condensation is to purchase a small 2-qt to 1-gal dehumidifier and run it during these periods. Works great and keeps the condensation down.

We haven't tried the DampRid trick yet. Maybe we'll do that too.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 06:05 PM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
This is not to sound condesending, but condensation comes from too much humidity trapped in the unit (duh). So the only way to solve the problem is to to dehumidify the unit . Three methods have already been mentioned: (1) Keep powered exhaust vents/fans running, even if you are not showering or cooking because people make humidity in abundance. (2) Use dehumidifying chemicals to absorb moisture and collect it. (3) Run a powered dehumidifier.

My own preference is the power vents as long as they will keep up, then add the powered dehumidifier. I honestly have not tried the drying chemical systems. I guess I am afreid I will knock them off or kick them over. Posted reports of success encourage me to try them.

The acid test is whether or not you are removing the moisture as fast as it is being created. To do so, multiple approaches may need to be employed simultaneously. You are wise to treat this with some urgency. Uncontrolled moisture is anathema to your unit as well as being uncomfortable.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:32 AM   #13
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
This is our 3rd travel trailer and each has had it's fair share of condensation. I learned very early on about condensation inside the unit during cold weather. What we found works very well is to leave a vent open or window cracked. You will be surprised how much it helps reduce the moisture. We have done our share of cold weather camping (teens and 20's) and ever since we started leaving a vent open just a little we have all but eliminated the condensation problem. It took a while to convince the wife leaving a vent open or window cracked open was the right thing to do but she has finally been won over. Also, we always regardless of the outside temps open the bathroom vent with the fan on during and for a period of time after showering. We have used a dehumidifier and it worked okay. We now use DampRid too throughout the year in warm and cold temps and it works great.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:13 AM   #14
Montana_632
Established Member

M.O.C. #632
As you see from all the responses keeping a vent open is the main solution. We also have used some of the products mentioned but in the end we just went back to leaving the vent open. The unit still stays toasty warm and condensation is not a problem. Happy travels.
Montana_632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 12:08 PM   #15
party of 5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1764
I had heard of people using a plastic bowl with some cat litter in it. I tried this the las time I put ours in storage and was amazed the difference in the "damp" feel inside when I took it out of storage. The cat litter was pretty damp also. So when Iput it back in storage I poured out the old litter and replaced with new and left the bowl on the floor in the middle of the trailer.
party of 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:31 PM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
he Drizair stuff looks a lot like cat liter a little coarser maybe. We keep he vent in the bathroom opened all the time because we have a cover on it. We also have one of the little drizair things in there and it fills up even with the vent opened. I think you need both.