Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Rubber Suspension Springs

Everyone talks about wetbolts and sleeves, but I haven't heard much mention of the "Rubber Suspension Spring" that is in located between the two leaf springs. I was checking the leaf spring area and noticed the RSS was severely cracked and separating from the metal shackle. I called MorRyed and asked about the shackle, they said it should be replaced. I had sent pictures for reference to what I was describing. The rubber section looked like a worn out set of motor mounts. So, I just thought I would send this in for everyone to take note on the RSS as well as the leafs, bolts and sleeves. Oh yes, when I had the RSS replaced, I had them check the brakes and re-do the bearings, being that everything was torn apart. A little labor savings.

Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I had a shear spring failure a few years back myself. Shear springs always have minor cracks in them ... there is a service guide that tells what to look for and how to measure. After owning fivers with the MorRyde shear springs and the Dexter EZ-Flex ... I personally prefer the EZ-Flex. Part of the reason is since the MorRyde sticks down farther, I felt the need for the X-Factor cross member. I experienced no difference in ride as far as things staying put inside. Here's a link to my old post with photos.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...t=shear+spring
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:29 AM   #3
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Same thing here last year. I always check mine when lubing the wet bolts.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...t=shear+spring
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Wow, your RSS look like the ones I replaced. Thanks for the slide show.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
One never knows when a shear spring will tear or separate, so take heed and inspect some time. I do it when we arrive back in florida...so every six months. Have a new one in the passthrough to replace my streetside shear which has an 1.5 inch tear and I'll do this next week. What's life if you are never under your montana?
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote