Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Need puppy traveling advice

We'll be taking our puppy on a 8 hour trip when he will be 2 1/2 months old. He is a small breed puppy (havanese) and I'm not sure if he'll be walking on a leash yet (it's been over ten years since I've had a puppy.)

Any suggestions or ideas about potty breaks, or any other tips? I'm getting a little nervous about how to work this out.

Thanks!

napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Your puppy will be more nervous than you, stop often.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
That's about the same age our Bella was when she took her first road trip from Little Rock, AR, to Augusta, GA, with me. She would get a little restless when she needed to stop. She wasn't leash trained when we headed out, but I still clipped one to her when I took her out. After a week, she was leash trained.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:15 PM   #4
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
I had our yorkie in my truck almost immediately after we got her at 8 or 9 weeks. Took her to Lowes and any store inside my coat other than a food store. Kept her away from other dogs and their waste until she had all of her shots. Will your pup be fully immunized by the time of your trip?

We have our yorkie between us in the front seat...i think you can see the Kurgo carrier in our signature. She doesn't wear a collar due to trachea dangers in small dogs....she wears a harness. Carrier has a buckle that latches to the harness so she cant fly out if I stop suddenly. We got a small bed at Walmart that fits well in the bottom. DW put some soft fabric scrap in for comfort also. She sleeps resting her head on my wrist/hand 98% of the time we travel. We use a fabric crate in back seat floor when in Cracker Barrel, etc. Use remote start and my cell phone alarm to remind me to restart for ac or heat when needed. I am very very very aware of dangers of leaving our precious pup in the truck. Id rather consume diesel than take a chance.

Your new pup will likely sleep a lot while you are moving and if you are there close by. Stop after she wakes up as you would when crate training.

We took our puppie from PA to Chattanooga at about 12 14 weeks. She did just fine. Was a 10-12 hr trip. We usex a harness and leash with no issues. Didn't take long walks at that point yet...just to keep her close.

FYI....the carrier is designed to hang from a headrest to prevent engaging an airbag. There are also straps and a buckle designed to wrap around the seat and buckle. There is no headrest over our center console that folds up to make room. Solution: I wrap the straps around the console, buckle and tighten. Then take a bungie cord...loop on hook on the strap tightly wrapped around the console. ...pull it up and loop thru the hanging strap intended for the headrest and pull it back down and attach the other bungie hook to the first one. Her seat is very secure.

We also took Petstages Durable Sticks...petite size as a chew toy. She seemed to like that when awake.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:01 AM   #5
andylparish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17188
Our new puppy is 13 weeks and has been traveling with us since 9 weeks (her first trip was to Michigan to pick up new unit). Take them early and they know no difference, she is a Pom and loves to go. We keep her bed between front seats on top of console and she just navigates all over the truck when she wants. Still leash training. Key is to start early and they don't know any other way.
Mountain Home, Arkansas
andylparish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Thank you everyone! This is all very helpful information!
Old 05-21-2015, 02:28 AM   #7
Montana4two
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13738
What a co-incidence" we pick up our puppy on June 13th. He is Havanese- cocker szu. I think as the other say, to get them used to travelling early. I plan on taking him everywhere with us, ready for the big trip to Arizona from Alberta this winter. Good luck and post pics when you have time in between toilet training!
Montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:53 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Don't tie the leash to the car bumper....
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:46 PM   #9
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana4two

What a co-incidence" we pick up our puppy on June 13th. He is Havanese- cocker szu. I think as the other say, to get them used to travelling early. I plan on taking him everywhere with us, ready for the big trip to Arizona from Alberta this winter. Good luck and post pics when you have time in between toilet training!
Wow, that *is* a coincidence! Congratulations! I hope we cross paths one day in some lovely campground with our Montanas and puppies
Old 06-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #10
Willy Bee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15919
I have my Bassett puppy Molly running with me and she is doing great. i stop every 2 hours and let her potty. She been ok only had 1 accident in 6000 miles of driving.
Willy Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #11
Cherie
Established Member

M.O.C. #23363
To start leash training put a light weight leash on the collar or better yet harness when in the house. You don’t have to hold the other end. Just supervise so puppy doesn’t get caught up somewhere. If puppy seems uncomfortable in anyway just hold small pieces of food and feed while puppy is on leash. Start putting puppy on leash every time you take puppy out. Training a puppy is 24/7 from as early as possible.
Special note to RV puppy trainers. Step in and out of doors leaving pup behind. Don’t say goodbye or Hey I’m home. Make leaving and coming home a none event. Since it is a non event Pup won’t bark to call you back when you leave the RV. This will spare you and your neighbors aggravation in the future.
Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:56 AM   #12
MOODY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24936
Puppies

NECESSARY SOCIAL SKILLS - all must be learned IN THE 1ST 6 MONTHS! After that forget it!
PEOPLE SOCIAL SKILLS
Learned by meeting as many people as possible that all are friends and not to be feared. Otherwise expect barking/growling/biting or fear of strangers. If your puppy meets hundreds of people it will learn that strangers are not to be feared.
DOG SOCIAL SKILLS
Take your puppy with you every where you can to meet other dogs. Keep your puppy away from other dogs till after 6 months of age and expect your dog to be highly aggressive or afraid of other dogs. These are the pets that result in a fight or biting someone. Dogs that always want to fight other dogs when the other dog invades their personal space never had a chance to play with other dogs when they were puppies.
Always take treats with you to feed your dog and the other dogs. Dogs will become highly protective of food as they become older and not taught that its ok for all dogs to eat. When you/stranger attempt to give treats or feed an older dog that was never fed around another dog expect your dog to become possessive of all food bowls. Sometimes your camping with others that have a dog and do you want to have put your dog up when you or someone else feeds a dog?
I have an American Bulldog and never ever worry about the above concerns! Every dog/stranger are friends which will result in a free pet or someone to play with! She still barks when strangers 1st arrive which I encourage but with her tail wagging - she is expecting friend not foe but wants to let me know someone has arrived.

Both of these skills are separate from one another. You can have a dog with great people skills and have no dog social skills or vice versa.

TEACH YOUR DOG TO GO POTTIE ON COMMAND!
When ever your dog goes pottie get excited and give a verbal command every time. In the morning is the best time because you know the dog needs to go. After several weeks you see that the dog will start going when they hear the command. WHY - ever stop somewhere where you are short on time - Burger King, raining or roadside park & the dog wants to smell everything in the area and has no urgency to go pottie? When on walks give the command to pottie before you start walking. If the dog ignores you that's fine but don't allow the dog to stop and go when they want either. Wait till you return and give the command again. Don't know why people carry baggies to pick up what their dog leaves on the ground because the dog does that ONLY BECAUSE THEY COMMAND the situation - NOT THE OWNER! I showed my neighbor this years ago and he was telling friends at a party and his son shouted out the word/command and the dog excited to have lots of friends in the house IMMEDIATLY relived himself on their white carpet!

Kevin & Pat Moody
2020 Montana 3701LK, Legacy Package, Satellite, Solar, Generator, 2019 Ford F350 Dually, BD5F Trailer Saver, 12' Trailer with Kayak Rack, Polaris General XP 4 1000
MOODY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:55 PM   #13
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
This thread is 7 years old - I am assuming the puppy is no longer a puppy.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:29 PM   #14
MOODY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24936
wow - never looked at the original post date - guess someone just thought of a great answer! Never too late to respond - better late than never!

Kevin & Pat Moody
2020 Montana 3701LK, Legacy Package, Satellite, Solar, Generator, 2019 Ford F350 Dually, BD5F Trailer Saver, 12' Trailer with Kayak Rack, Polaris General XP 4 1000
MOODY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:22 PM   #15
Cherie
Established Member

M.O.C. #23363
Good pet advice is timeless.
Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote