Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Slideout rubber surrounds are cracking

Well, once a year did no good. I'm referring to the round hollow rubber that surrounds the edge of the slideout so that when the slideouts are retracted they create a seal as the slides rest against the RV frame.

I used some RV preservative that was supposed to keep the rubber supple and flexible once a year. Apparently where I live, I should have done this more often (maybe every three months). Even that the rig has stayed in placed with the slides retracted for over 17-18 months, the heat of where I live finally caused the outer edge of this hollow black rubber to crack at its seem.

Has anyone ever had this problem? I have four slideouts and several of theses rubber pieces are cracked all the way. They still stay in place, but the rubber doesn't look good even though it seems to still work. I have not not checked the very topmost pieces but I expect the same.

I suppose the best thing to do is to remove the cracked pieces and replace them. This will be long tedious job but doesn't look very difficult. Does anyone have any hints and tricks to offer about this?

Lastly, I'll need to increase the frequency of maintaining and exercising the slides periodically and apply the stuff to keep these from turning from rubber into plastic. What frequency intervals do you use and where do you live (I think this has a lot to do with this - weather, wind and temps). I live in a hot, dry, windy California desert-like area.

Thankfully, our lives are settling in from caring for others and we plan more RV-based outings. YAY! This should help keeping an eye on things as they get used instead of wearing away from sitting still.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Maybe if the seals were made in the Continental US ... they'd last longer? The vertical runs are pretty easy to pull out and pull back in ... the seal just rides in a slot. Debur and chamfer the aluminum leading opening around the extrusion's slot. Angle trim the leading edge of the new seal where it goes in the slot. Spray the seal and slot with silicone before you get started. As for the horizontal run ... the same except have a helper feed the seal straight into the groove as you pull it along the length of the slide. Let it sit a bit to relax before you cut to length as it was stretched a bit when pulling it thru. Tap one end of the extrusion to slightly crimp the slot to help hold the seal in place.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Yes Art, we've had the problem also. Protecting the slide seals once a year is good, twice is better. But eventually they have to be replaced. Our 2000 has had the seals replace once -- in 2010. It really makes not much difference whether the slides are extended or retracted, though when retracted there is not as much of the seal exposed. It's fairly expensive to replace all three -- seems to me we were near $1,000.00. I don't remember exactly because I had some other work done at the same time.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Are we talking about the 'flap' that is about 2 inches long that seals up the opening when the slides are out? Or the thicker sort of tube things that seal up against the slide when retracked?
I have replaced all the flap seals myself and it is not expensive. I think maybe $1 a foot plus or minus 50%. Have had no trouble with the other seals yet - of course my rig is only about 8 years old this summer, but it sits out in the Arizona sun 9 months a year.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We are treating our seals twice a year, don't know how much difference it will make, but good so far.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, twindman, not the flap attached to the RV body, even though I have seen some surface cracking in them too. I am talking about the round hollow seal attached to the outer edges of the slides that are mostly for when the slideout is against the RV sides when retracted.

Ouch Orv, I'll try to do this myself and hopefully save lots of dollars - you are way richer than me (don't you also have the BIGFOOT levelers?). I have FOUR slides to do. I hope the material is way less than $1 per foot. I would consider replacing all of them at the same time whether cracking or not. Thanks for all the installation hints Dieselguy!

Bummer, my rig is only 7 years old, but maybe living in the hot, dry, windy desert means I'll have to do treat them more often than even DQDick.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
I was figuring about once per year but believe that I will learn from your misfortune . The previous owner of our Monty had it stored indoors and never treated the slide rubber (hardly ever traveled either). Maybe once in the Spring and once in the Fall will be my new MO. Sorry about your problem Art...hope it works out to be an inexpensive solution.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Art ... I've never dealt with this company nor do I know how they are price wise, but there is a company in Ohio called Uni-Grip that makes all kinds of seals. They are recommended on other forums for RV type seals. I think they are called bulb seals. The part that slides in the extrusion is about 1/4" wide on mine. I also discovered that mine are not crimped on the ends to hold it in place, but something much easier. There are plastic corner covers with 3 attaching screws on each slide. Take the attaching screw out that is inline with the seal ... it then slides right out.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Ouch Orv, I'll try to do this myself and hopefully save lots of dollars - you are way richer than me (don't you also have the BIGFOOT levelers?). I have FOUR slides to do. I hope the material is way less than $1 per foot. I would consider replacing all of them at the same time whether cracking or not. Thanks for all the installation hints Dieselguy!
Art, I just sound rich. I live from month to month hoping I can make it the last 10 days of each month. That's why we live in an RV to be able to keep our total living costs down. We live cheaper than when we lived in a house. On the subject of the seals, don't quote me on the price I paid because I'm just guessing. I sometimes get my repair costs and what was done mixed up. I had it done in Iowa but had the bedroom slide done at Desert Hot Springs, CA at a cost of $565 for it. CA,as you know has some horrendous labor costs.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:35 AM   #10
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We use 303 on the large seals, and have never had to replace. The hollow tube seals on our unit are not even close to the quality on the two previous units, and yes, they are deteriorating.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #11
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Art, we bought our replacement seals through our dealer. It is sold by the foot and comes in a roll, I think it was about 60 cents/ft. It was an easy fix.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #12
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Had to replace the top tube seal on our living room slide, very easy to replace but they are quite high priced from the dealer (by the foot). If you are replacing them all yourself which is easy, I would try and buy a roll through a wholesaler. It is wise to make sure that they are cut a little longer as the seem to shrink in length over time.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #13
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Ok,, what does everyone use on their seals to try and keep them pliable???
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Has any one out their replaced the Bedroom Slide bottom seal?
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #15
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
I have been using Ru-Glyde for years. Useful on many things from door seals to tires. last time I bought it, got it from NAPA. Used in tire stores to mount tires on rims. Also known as Rubber Lube.
http://www.agscompany.com/lubricants/canadian/213

[img][/img]
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote