Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
ugh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12545
Shore Power issue.

I bought a used 2006 Keystone Montana 3500RL and a used truck as a combo deal. I took it to my in-laws house and plugged in the shore power. It was plugged into a 20 amp using an adapter. I was not going to run any heavy loads on it except for the battery charger and check few things out. But, nothing worked. What am I doing wrong?

What I have checked up to this point.
Good Battery
No breakers were tripped in the trailer or the garage.
It was not plugged into GFCI.

Is there some kind of master switch that turns on the shore power in the trailer?

ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am assuming you are using a 50 amp cord or a 30 amp cord with adapter(s) to get down to the 20 amp outlet.
Did you verify the outlet is working by plugging something else in it?
Assuming you are comfortable checking electricity, do the following.
Plug the power cord in but leave the trailer end off and check the pins with a meter to verify the cord and adapter(s) are OK. Here is a web site for wiring info. RV electric service Should have neutral on the center blade and 120 vac hot on each of the two outer blades.
If the cord checks OK, plug the power cord in to the trailer (twist it to engage the twist lock when it is plugged in). Then remove the cover over the inside breakers and check to see if you have voltage to the load center. Check all the wiring connections while you are there, each breaker, neutral bar, and ground bar. Loose connections are common.
If those all check OK, then come back and we will try again.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
Have you checked the battery cut-off switch in the convenience centre? Most of the trailer is run on 12 volt. If you tried turning on lights, water pump etc. they will not work with the switch off. The only things that operate on AC include Microwave, TV, Ceiling fan & light in living room, air conditioner. Try one of them to see if you have power.
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I also have an '06 3500RL and I am not aware any of these units came with a convenience center. I do not believe there is a cut off switch unless the prior owner put one in there (hmmmm).

To verify power, the microwave clock should work, you don't need to turn on the MW itself.

Any television, the ceiling fan if equipped, the fireplace if equipped or any plug should work but I have a feeling that the OP has checked this.

The power panel is by the entry door. Remove the bottom 110v cover (it just snaps off with some effort) and check all the breakers, by turning them completely off then turning them back on. This ensures that they are being turned back on. IIRC, there might even be a master switch for all the circuit breakers.

You might also go into the main front storage area, and remove the center back cover (there are tabs you rotate to remove the large panel. Check for a surge protector that might need resetting or any other connection/connector issues. Make sure that the CB in the power panel for the converter is on, and that the converter is plugged in and powered on. The converter takes the incoming 110-120v AC and converts it to 12v to run all 12v devices AND recharge the battery.

Other things to try while you are at it. What method did you use to verify you have a good battery? Did you disconnect the battery cables and put a meter across the battery terminals? A fully charged battery should have about 12.7 to 12.8 volts. When connected and being recharged, it should be about 13.5v to 14v or higher since this also is measuring the ongoing recharging voltage.

Make sure all the GFCI circuits are reset. In my rig there is one at the lavatory and one in the living room. There might be a 3rd but I forget where I "think" I saw it, if I saw it. It's been a while since I last checked these things. But none of this should affect the converter since the converter has it's own separate circuit breaker.

Hopefully you can report back (especially if you find a surge protector or some other power management device - EMS, etc.) after checking these and we'll keep trying.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
rvghostdriver
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4518
Art, the early 2006 models, with the rounded nose and the blue graphics, do not have the convenience center. The later 2006 models, with the cut back nose and brown graphics, do have the convenience center.

rvghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
ugh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12545
Thanks folks. I will print this page out and take it with me when I work on it this Sat. I will let you know on Sunday.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
ugh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12545
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rvghostdriver

Art, the early 2006 models, with the rounded nose and the blue graphics, do not have the convenience center. The later 2006 models, with the cut back nose and brown graphics, do have the convenience center.

My graphics are brown, but I do not know what a cut back nose look like. What is convenience center?
Old 05-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
ugh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12545
After looking at this video, I do have convenience center and my 2006 3500Rl is a later model.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
ugh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12545
I plugged it into standard 20amp outlet, and it worked fine. I think I did not twist it all the way in the first time I hooked it up. So, that's good news. I got RV 30 outlet, 10 gauge wire, and 30 am breaker to install in the barn, so we can run the AC in the future.