Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Landing gear bad Jack nut?

I have the driver side landing gear not lifting. I have looked at John Kohl repair pictures on a bad gear but don't think thats the problem. Great pictures by the way. Both gears are turning when the motor is running, but its not lifting or lowering. Looks to me like either the drive pin is broken or the Jack nut is stripped out. Any other ideas? How could I tell which without taking the whole landing gear out? Has anyone replaced a jack nut? John when you had your apart would it have been easy at that point to replace the jack nut?

iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Gary,
Pry the top off the leg that is not moving and see if the worm gear is turning. You may have to remove some grease. There is a pin through a shaft for each 45 degree gear. I would guess one of them may have sheared.

I helped Dave and Jo-Anna and did pull the leg apart and had access to the nut. Yes it is easy. I forgot the position of pieces during disassembling. I got luck because their nut was seized so we did not have to put it back together.
So take pictures and lay the pieces out in order. Sorry I know you know that but just a memory jogger cause I did not. LOL

I hope this helps.

Thanks for comment on pictures.

Let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes both of the worm gears are turning. When I checked this afternoon I had good clothes on an needed go back to my job so I couldn't dig around in the grease enought to till if the shaft is turning. If it is the pin on the vertical shaft do you think there any chance I can replace that without removing the leg to work on it? I had a electric jack on my tow camper that I had to replace that nut on too so I know what you are talking about when you take it apart. I didn't take pictures but had a diagram and still had a heck of time getting the pieces in the right order. It was sort of sieazed too but was able to get off. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Yes you can get to that pin without taking the leg out. You will have to pull the horizontal shaft out of the leg which requires taking the "E" clip out and then removing the spiral pin on the horizontal shaft close to the outside edge of the leg. Don't drop them or you may have to pull the leg.
Pull the horizontal shaft out, pick up the horizontal 45 gear and then lift the vertical 45 gear off the vertical shaft and you will find the drive pin or not if sheared.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Thanks that helps. So the motor doesn't need to be removed or loosened. The Horizonal shaft will pull out once the clip and pin are removed?
Old 10-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Correct. If you are working on the motor side it will slide out of the landing leg. The motor and reduction gear should slide into the battery box area. The leg is the only thing that holds them in place.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Thanks John, this has been helpful. I won't be able to work on till maybe this weekend. I will let you know how this turns out.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Turned out to be the horzinal drive pin that is bad. The Jack nut is fine. I can't find a pin locally so I will have to order one from Venture. Hardware stores don't have right diameter an length in a hardened pin,
Old 10-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Venture sent me the drive pin I needed. When I got it all apart this weekend I discoverd that the thrust bearing was also bad. I put it back together and it works ok for now but I need a new thrust bearing. Didn't have any luck today with the dealer tracking it down. I am not sure why simple parts are hard to come by.