Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Breaker, Breaker...antenna advice (please)

Along with all the talk about using CB radios while traveling....has lead me to find information about CB antenna's

For the ones who do travel with a CB, can you please gice advice and experiences on the CB antenna?

We own a 2005 Silverado Crew Cab (back window is solid, no slider, defrosters on this window).

We would like to mount a 4.5 ft (whip style) antenna by the magnectic roof mount on top of the cab of the pick-up.

We do have Moon Roof on top so the mount needs to go way up front or to the back of the cab.

Would love to hear suggestions on how to run the antenna wire inside without having to drill holes?

We would also like to hear what others are using for antennas and how to hook them up?

Thank You, Denise

PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I have a magnetic type also. I wanted to mount a hard mount in front of the truck bed but that wouldn’t work with the truck cap which folds up, because it’s in the way. I ran the antenna wire from the base of the antenna around the window by lifting up the edge of the rubber flange and shoved the wire as far back under the flange as I could. When I got to the bottom of the window, there was just a short space then it went through a hole into the cab and then I ran it the rest of the way from inside. I haven’t noticed any kind of leaks and the wire isn’t noticeable. Hope this is of some help!

Old 07-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I do pretty much what Bill does; run the wire under the weatherstripping flange until you find a convenient place to bring it into the cab.

I'd probably mount the antenna towards the back of the cab, which would get it pretty much midpoint on the truck. I think that looks better, at least.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Thanks so much for the help.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
I have an extended cap Chevy 2500 and just use the magnetic mount and run the cable from the roof through the door/body frame on the driver side rear clam shell door. Never had any leaks doing it that way.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Ok....no leaks....Put the antenna on the center back roof (behind moon roof) So it is pretty close to being in the center of the roof.

Antenna is a 4.5 whip antenna. Held on with a 5" magnetic mount.

Test drove on the freeway...10 miles one way and 10 miles back, traveling at 65-70 mph.

On the way back after going a total of hmmmmm....17 miles. The da...dang antenna came off. Well the mount came loose and the antenna flopped around. As soon as I heard the noise of cluck,cluck...I instantly pulled off the freeway. For a few feet the antenna was dragged as I pulled off the freeway (emergency lane) This caused the tip to be pulled off....some kind of special feature for this antenna...I do not know the language of this and Kevin is not here to help me right now.

At this point we are so discouraged that we want to give up even trying to travel with a CB...

Bummer is as I was driving, I was listening to the CB and it seemed like I was picking up more reception then before...ho hum!

Ok! Before we toatly give up....please share what exactly you are using for you hook ups...Size of antennas (style), even brand name? And also the mount you are using...same size and style and brand if you know it.?

Like I said this is so discouraging...Kevin has hooked up many CB's ( many years ago) and never have had this problem before.

Question...Are we having problems because of the materials we are using? Or is the roof on this Siverado Crew Cab not a match?

"Over and out", Denise
Old 07-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you look in the link below, I used the 124A truck bed mount (there are others that might work for you). I have a 4' Firestick fibreglass antenna that connects to the mount. But I am pretty sure it will adapt to the top part of the whip on your magnetic antenna if the whip unscrews from the base so you don't have to buy a new antenna.

http://www.pepperelectronics.com/aca...na_Mounts.html

I also purchased an 18' coax that I plugged into the bottom of the mount, routed it into the cab (between the truck bed and the cab I found a vent I could use) then under the carpet, under the door jambs, to the dash to the CB. Again, I hope you can unscrew the coax from your magnetic mount.

I had a magnetic whip years ago but gave up on them for the reasons you mention (a strong wind or traveling too fast and whoosh). Since then I go for fixed solutions. This is the first time I used a fibreglass antenna, though.

I will try and post a picture so you can see how it looks. I selected the mount I use because I have a truck cover and retractable hooks in the stake holes and that was the best solution for me. It was a little bit of work routing it, but it came out bulletproof.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
For an antenna that size you would need the three or four magnet setup to hold it upright. I can not find a picture or listing right now.
I use the Diamond K400-3/8C Trunk/Hatchback Mount on mine. It is pricey but holds well and I get the extra height. I buy mine from Ham Radio Outlet.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:14 AM   #9
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
As for a magnet roof mount, I think you will find many that think the Wilson 5000 is the best on the market. At least that what was the best magnetic mount 6 yrs ago. I had Firesticks, whips and others and like the Wilson as good as any. I don't run extra power anymore but it handled it when I did. The only reason I don't like leaving it on all the time is tree limbs. Thant is why I am thinking os a bed stake mount with another firestick.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote