Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2008, 05:15 AM   #1
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Digital TV Converter Box

Has anyone purchased a converter box for the Monty? Got to thinking what will happen next camping season when we get to a campground that does not have cable. If you have one, how does it hook up? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
I purchased one the other day that I plan to use in the stick house and take with in the Monty when we travel. It hooks up through the coax from the antenna and you can either hook up the coax or RCA (red and white) cables to the TV. I sent away for the $40 coupon from the government, so the cost out of pocket was $9.99. Total cost would have been $49.99 w/o coupon. Each house hold can get 2 coupons but they must be used in 90 days from receipt/shipment or they expire. The box I purchased was an RCA a model. It's a major step backwards, as the box has its own tuner so you put the TV on channel 3 or 4 and use the box remote to change channels. Since I live out of range of the current Digital signals, I tried to set it up, but could not pick up anything. Oh ya the analog signals do not come through the box so if you have a mix of digital and analog signals either you use the box for digital or remove it for analog.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
If you have a Direct/Dish system, this set top box (stb) installs similarly. The connection on the front and the connection on the back of the outside antenna on the roof, are available to connect to the input of the digital set-top box (antenna connection), the output from the STB (out to tv) connects to your tv. These are either coax connections or depending on the STB, RCA jacks. Following making the connections, power up the antenna and turn on the tv and STB. Follow the instructions that come with the STB for "finding" the available signals (signals are dependent upon where you are)
You can get more complex by integrating with your existing satellite system and/or audio/video system. This would be a little more complex.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I just got my coupon today so I will report back after I go shopping
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Just got my coupons yesterday also. Got a year, so I'm not to rushed...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Deadeye-- rogue stated in his thread that his had 90 days to be used or they expired. Better check on yours so you don't loose it! My son got his in the mail and they went out and bought theirs and final cost was about $20. He hooked it up and said he can't believe the improvement in the picture already!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Thanks Rondo---There is an expiration date of 06/26/08. It also list 8 retailers in my area that will honor them. Most of the businesses are Wal-Mart and Radio-Shack and a couple of private firms...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:18 AM   #8
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
The one my buddy purchased $40 to $60 range works GREAT just like cable or Dish quality.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Information for DISH Network subscribers

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
does anyone know if we will need one for both of the tv's or will one work for both of them it is hooked to the main TV?
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:41 AM   #11
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jpkelpe

does anyone know if we will need one for both of the tv's or will one work for both of them it is hooked to the main TV?
Yes, you will need a converter for each TV.

I bought a Zenith DTT900 yesterday ($59.99 minus the Government $40.00 Coupon) out of pocket cost $19.99 + tax, installed it today, the picture is great on the digital channels. installed it using the "RCA" style plugs from the converter box to the TV (using the TV auxillary inputs)so I can continue to use the RF cable for the TV tuner until the analog signals are no longer broadcast. I chose the Zenith over some cheaper models because the Remote is capable of powering the TV off or on, and it will also control the volume through the RCA, and RF cables, meaning I will only have to use the TV remote while watching analog broadcasts. I camp almost exclusively where there isn't any cable available, and now in the area where I camp the most, I can access a local 24 hr digital weather broadcast showing radar, and other weather warnings, that alone makes it a good deal.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote