Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2006, 02:34 PM   #41
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I still think 4x2 or 4x4 is purely a personal choice made rationally according to the needs and desires of the individual.

I have never intentionally put our Montana into a location that would require 4x4 to get into or out of. But sometimes conditions change, especially when you stay somewhere for a week or a month. And sometimes that shoulder looked just fine when you pulled onto it. When travelling you don't always know they've had a very wet spring just a few hundred miles up the road.

Despite that, we've had 4x4 on our tow vehicle only the most recent three years of our rv life. We got along just fine with 4x2 prior to that.

Another time I like 4x4 low range is pulling (or pushing) the Montana onto a few inches of boards to level it. Low range walks it right on up those boards with no slippage in the torque converter and the engine idling.

But I'd still not say anyone HAS to have 4x4. There are far too many 4x2 tow vehicles doing just fine in this country for that argment to hold any water. Just my opinion, as always.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:00 PM   #42
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Steve,

While I agree with your statement, and that it's strictly up to personal choice, the resale factor keeps getting ignored. As I mentioned, you simply can't give away a 4X2 in Colorado. I mentioned the CIO from work that moved here from FL with a 4X2, he had to drive down to FL to trade it in, couldn't make a deal up here. So that means a lot too.

Anyway, not everyone lives here either, so they don't have to worry about that!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:53 PM   #43
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I still think 4x2 or 4x4 is purely a personal choice made rationally according to the needs and desires of the individual...
OK, Steve. You read that somewhere, didn't you? That was really good... wish I had thought of it..
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:06 AM   #44
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote