Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2005, 06:11 AM   #1
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
washing info.

Being new to the ownership of RVs, can anyone suggest what to use to wash and wax a new monty..What should be use to wash it with, a brush or a sponge/rag

The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:24 AM   #2
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Blue Coral wash and wax from Walmart works great, twice a year I use McQueirs wax and wax the entire coach to keep it looking good as well.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:49 AM   #3
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I like a product called NU-Finish (Wal-Mart) instead of wax (after the wash) It goes on easy and wipes off easy and leaves a nice shiny gloss.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I second the Nu-Finish, applied once a year and any good auto wash and wax. Blue Coral or Zip Wax will help keep it looking good between between applications.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:51 PM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I use Zip Car Wash by Turtle Wax
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 07:06 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I used Miguire's(sp?) hand paste wax when I first bought the coach. Put two coats of it on and man that stuff does the trick. Now I just use a wash and wax from Protect All, seems to do a nice job. Next spring I plan to get another coat of paste wax on by hand.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:40 PM   #7
Montana_4391
Established Member

M.O.C. #4391
Since the Montana has a fiberglass "skin" like the travel trailer I currently own, the general consensus on (another) forum I belong to is to use Simple Green, available in most hardware stores. It's good for removing black streaks as well as general cleaning on a wide vareity of surfaces.
Montana_4391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:38 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
This is one of the frequent topics on the forum, and I understand why. I am going to quote from one of my first posts on the MOC. I will only update to say that it has now been over three years and it is still "so far so good!"

You can click on the link below to see how it STILL looks.

Here is one of my very first posts on this forum. Still: so far so good.

No doubt, everyone has their own favorites, but I'm willing to share mine. I just cleaned up the exterior of our Montana this week, so I have all the material still before me. I started with a full cleaning of the roof using Thetford Premium Rubber Roof Cleaner and Conditioner [sprayed on full strength then washed off thoroughly with water] from Camping World. Next I cleaned the bugs off the front cap using Thetford Premium Bug Bust [same type of application as the roof cleaner] also from CW. Next the sides and back using Trailer Glitter RV Wash [mixed with water, then rinsed immediately] also from CW. Finally I waxed only the front cap using Meguairs NXT Tech Wax bought at WalMart.

We have had our Montana just a year and a half, but it looks as good as it did the day we bought it. The wax protects the front cap and makes it much easier to get the bugs off the next time. By keeping the roof cleaned and conditioned we do not have any black streaks.

So far so good.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:08 PM   #9
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
I have been using the Mr. Cleen Auto Dry system. I started out using it on my truck and found that it really works. It's a three step system, special soap, tap water to rinse, and then filtered 'di-ionized' water for a final rinse. I never get waterspots when I follow the instructions. The soap & filters are not too expensive at Wally World and not having to hand dry 32 feet of white whale is well worth it.

I use Turtle wax most of the time, Meguires Cleaner-Wax once a year & for touch ups.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote