Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2005, 12:52 AM   #1
zzuroweste1
Established Member

M.O.C. #3581
North for the hurricane Dennis

We are getting evacuated on Saturday 9July and I am looking for a good campground north of Pensacola within 350 Miles. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This could be another big one.

zzuroweste1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:08 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Oak Mountain State Park, near Birmingham, AL?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:00 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just a few weeks ago we stayed at a little unlisted campground near Evergreen AL. Just off I-65 on US 84 (East of the Interstate). We found it very adequate. Would not hesitate to stay there again.

Just down the road on AL Hw6 is another park which is listed "Country Sunshine". We had thought of staying there, but the little park above came into view to our surprize so we never saw "Country Sunshine".

We also stayed at "Hilltop RV Park" with a Robertsdale, AL address, but it is actually on I-10 just West of the Florida line. You might want to be futher inland, but that is a good place to stay.

We have stayed a couple of times at "Claude D. Kelly State Park" which is directly north of Pensacola on AL HW21. Lots of other possibilities in the campground guide (for example "Sherling Lake Park" at Greenville, AL), but I have commented only on those we have stayed in.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:25 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Prayers for all ya running from the storms!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:42 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Tannehill SP west of Birmingham is nice. There are two Corp of Engineer campgrounds west of Montgomery. You can check them out on ReserveUSA. We have a new, plain jane campground in Wetumpka, AL just off 231. That's farther north than Evergreen. PM me if you need directions. Praying for your safety, Judy
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:34 AM   #6
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by zzuroweste1

We are getting evacuated on Saturday 9July and I am looking for a good campground north of Pensacola within 350 Miles. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This could be another big one.
Zach, We are in Salt Springs Fl, ( Near Ocala). Last year we evaced to Ozark Al but if I were in Pensacola and checking the forcasted path of Dennis ,I think I would go west toward Texas. North into Alabma and up the Tenn Valley looks a bit dicey to me. What to do the AG's at NAS say? You could also look east toward Jax Fl or SE Ga. I don't think I would go north. Just some thoughts. Best of luck. We did this 3 times last year. It is a pain!!!

Regards

wa4bmg
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:48 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I think wa4bmg is correct. We live north of Montgomery, AL and were looking to go to NE Mississippi to get out of IVAN. We didn't but vowed that next time we would move. And you will have to move soon as the campgrounds fill up fast. Or at least get a reservation very soon. We had trucks with RVS and Horse trailers in tow parked in the Wally World parking lot.

The winds were awful but we came out unscathed. The neighbors weren't so fortunate./ A tree came down and hit the corner of their house. No injuries in Montgomery directly from the storm. Two people died from fumes from their generator so be careful when using them, please.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:39 PM   #8
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
I also agree with wa4bmg. We were in Panam City, and moved last Wednesday to Jacksonville, about 350 E of Pensacola. Best get out of the path to the side, not just run north. Anywhere north, even into the Carolinas, and the west coast of FL will get very heavy rains, flooding and significant winds. Just MHO.

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:13 PM   #9
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I also agree with wa4bmg, go to the dry side of the storm towards Louisiana or Texas. If you are going west take into consideration the volumn of traffic that will be on I-10, by tomorrow it will be bumper to bumper.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:28 PM   #10
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I'd go East also. Looks like its going to miss the center part of the state. Glad it's not coming here. Had enough last summer.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote