Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2013, 03:11 AM   #1
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
Locating light wiring

We have a 2009 2980RL Montanna unit
OK. I want to replace the side marker lights located just behind the basement doors on each side. I want to add a larger light which will give an added turn signal light for others to see. I need to locate the brake/turn signal wire going to rear of unit. So far I cannot see anywhere near the side marker light. Does wiring run down frame rails?

I feel this change would be an added safety measure. Back in my trucking days I did notice drivers who would spend too much time driving along side of us did respond to the side marker turn signal lights on our units better.

mach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:37 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I had an 05 2980RL ... I'll guess most taillight wiring will be similar. The wires all ran in a bundle down the street side of the frame inside above the belly pan. You'll have to drop a portion of the pan to fish around for them.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
When I did this to my trailer I found the wires coming from the harness inside the front compartment on the right hand side. To convert to turn signals you will need this converter.
http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/wiring_converters.htm

The stock wire from the lights I found inside the propane compartment. If you reach in you can feel the wire coming from the light.

Make sure that the wires are connected correctly, as I had got might crossed, in the small space working on them. The lights worked fine, but when I went to leave it was sending a signal to the truck that the brakes were not working and would not let me start the truck.

The wiring loom from the pin box runs down right next to the batteries and then into the belly, in a 1" black plastic split conduit. Just reach in the conduit by the batteries and find the green and red loose wires (left and right turn). Verify with a test light. T-Tap those wires with leads from the converter marked for left turn/stop and right turn/stop (T-Tap: connect to the factory wires, but let them continue to carry current to the factory tailights). The converter input also has a third wire for ground which I grounded with the battery cable ground on the frame right next to where you are working.

Output on the converter is left turn, right turn, and stop. The stop wire is not used and should be taped or protected from grounding. The left and right output wires go up to the frame in the front of the compartment, then straight out to the LP compartments where the forward marker lights are. Remove the 2-wire marker lights and replace with your new 3-wire midturn lights (ground, marker, turn).
Old 08-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Randy-- Maybe Larry from Cruzin 2 will jump in here and let you know how he changed out and added more side lights and the LED taillights to his rig. He did a great job and added to the safety, as you said, to turning and etc.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
I'd be interested in Larry's input also. I've been doing functional mods...time for some cool ones

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote