Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Completed the dual circuit breakers for slides

I just completed installing the parallel 50 amp autoresetting circuit breakers for the slideouts. Cost is way under $20 in parts and I still have wire and shrink wrap left over. Note I replaced BOTH circuit breakers so they are of the same age. So I now have an extra autoresetting breaker in my tool box.

This fix works great for the most part. No more starting and stopping of the slides as they are extended or retracted. However, I can still see that the largest slide is struggling since it stops once before proceeding. I think this problem is caused by the slide being slightly out of adjustment, so I'll have to check on this. The other slides are fine.

Here's my implementation:

Thanks to Don Reilly for sending me the documents on parts and installation!

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Stichwerks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8548
I also just completed the "retrofit" but I used the 80 amp breaker. The only reason I used the 80 amp was because I had one on the shelf. It has taken care of my "stall" issue and now works like new. This forum is awesome to help with the trouble shooting issues. Thanks to all who contribute.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
I considered that but I was concerned that it would mask what happened in my case. I have a slide that is out of adjustment and if both 50 amp CBs kick off, then that prompted me to search for a problem. I was afraid that an 80 amp single would just power through the amperage draw, move the slide accordingly and mask a problem.

Do I have my thinking correct? Someone please help.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Art nice looking clean install. This job is on my list of things I have to do this winter. Mine seems to only act up when fluid is cold. I hope to get out and survey the project in the next few days. I also know my LR slide needs to be adjusted as it is a little low on the outboard end by about 3/4". I tried to adjust it but moved it back,I think I'll have someone else look at it.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Nice and clean installation Art. This is the time of year when my "gotta do" list really starts getting lengthened since we are stickhouse bound. I know my "gotta do" list needs this task added to it.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
See if you can figure a way to cover them now. Since the breakers are connected directly to the battery, anything metallic that comes in contact with them can cause a direct short. Electrical tape, friction tape or liquid electrical tape at the very least. I mounted ours in an electrical box that I can put a cover on.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

I considered that but I was concerned that it would mask what happened in my case. I have a slide that is out of adjustment and if both 50 amp CBs kick off, then that prompted me to search for a problem. I was afraid that an 80 amp single would just power through the amperage draw, move the slide accordingly and mask a problem.

Do I have my thinking correct? Someone please help.
The 80 will trip first. 50 + 50= 100 I don't see any problem though. The original PDF from Lippert recommended the two fifties parallel. IIRC, Dale said the pump is rated at 100 amps.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:06 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Tom S - I took the picture before I put the covers back on to show the connections. I did have one cover left over from the old circuit breaker and used electrical tape the other one temporarily until I can get a cover for it.

Slickwillie. I did use the documents from Dale provided to me by Don Reilly and there were two, one with a single 80 amp solution and the second with the dual 50 amp solution.

What I don't understand is if the 50/50 is better than the single 80 and why. What I'd like is the electrical explanation that if 50+50 equal to 100 amp is better than a single 80 amp and why. Why not recommend a single 100amp then, or the single 80 amp which would be a very simple install using the existing wiring and not mess with building the shunts to install TWO circuit breakers instead of one? My electronics studies were from the early 1970's and I have forgotten how this works.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:

Tom S - I took the picture before I put the covers back on to show the connections. I did have one cover left over from the old circuit breaker and used electrical tape the other one temporarily until I can get a cover for it.

Slickwillie. I did use the documents from Dale provided to me by Don Reilly and there were two, one with a single 80 amp solution and the second with the dual 50 amp solution.

What I don't understand is if the 50/50 is better than the single 80 and why. What I'd like is the electrical explanation that if 50+50 equal to 100 amp is better than a single 80 amp and why. Why not recommend a single 100amp then, or the single 80 amp which would be a very simple install using the existing wiring and not mess with building the shunts to install TWO circuit breakers instead of one? My electronics studies were from the early 1970's and I have forgotten how this works.
Art, I know how it is. I studied electronics in 1978-79. Hard to keep on track some times.

I suspect the reason for the PDF with the two 50 amp breakers was because of convenience in finding the 50 amp breakers. You just don't find the 80 amp ones everywhere. In fact, I just added a 30 in parallel with the original 50 on our unit. I couldn't find anything over 30 near the stick house. The fifties are readily available here on the coast, at both RV and Marine dealers. Haven't seen the 80 anywhere here though.

I wouldn't say one was better or worse than the other. The two fifties just give you another 20 amps of current available at the pump. If it don't need it, it will never use it. There have been continuing questions about the wire size to the pump. From what I know and have researched, the wire is plenty adequate for the current draw.

Our problems started when I replaced the LR/DR slide cylinder. The new cylinder was extremely tight, and required more current to operate. The tech at our dealer told me they were adding the 50 in parallel on new units, and someone on here sent me the PDF, so I decided to try the 80 amp combo. It cured our problems.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #10
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
The Keystone factory in Oregon changed mine to a 80 AMP breaker and I have never had any trouble since.
Before that they would always stop a least five times we going out or in.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:08 AM   #11
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:

How it works is that 1/2 the current flows through each of the breakers in a parallel setup such as yours. So - two 50 amp breakers in parallel = 100 amps. As far as using one 100 amp breaker, it would act the same way but good luck on finding a single 100 amp auto reset breaker. 80's are probably easier to find though!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:58 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Really, the difference is cost. Two 50 amps or 40 amps are cheaper than one 100 amp / 80 amp. As ARJ points out, they are also a lot easier to find.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Thanks guys. I understand completely now. I still need to worry that I am drawing close to 100 amps. This means the couple of times the slide still stopped means I am drawing over 100 amps and need to get the slides looked at.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Art, I totally agree, if you pop the two 50's (100 amps) you are at the max for the motor and something else is wrong. Looks like you might be having slide mechanism problems - something hanging up somewhere.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:59 AM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
OK then! I finally got off my butt and took a picture of our circuit breaker set up. Here it is:

Red stuff on the terminals is liguid electrical tape.