Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Need help with washer install

Wife and I will be picking up our new Montana 3720 soon and I will be installing a new washer and dryer. I have installed washer and dryers in other 5th wheels with conventional installs ( closet, stackable, etc.), but have not installed in a slide. My question is about the drain-pan drain. Where is the best place to tie into the washer drain? Before the flex drain I would assume. How do I access the plumbing? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
YOPPER
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6547
I have an 07 Monty and would like to know how you tied drain pan into existing plumbing. Putting in stackable in closet. All ready prep for w/d
YOPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have a 3700 which is similar in layout to your 3720. I suspect the plumbing is pretty much the same between the two models, In my model, the flexible washer drain is in the right wall of the closet. It drops down to the floor, runs under the night stand and connects to the drain under the bed.

As the drain pan is at floor level, I wonder how you prevent the drain line from the washer flowing into the pan when it is pumping out water?

My washer was installed with the drain pan outlet dropping straight down through the floor of the slide at the outside wall. The slide will be out when running the washer so draining this way guarantees the overflow, if it should occur, will drop harmlessly to the ground.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:01 AM   #4
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOPPER View Post
I have an 07 Monty and would like to know how you tied drain pan into existing plumbing. Putting in stackable in closet. All ready prep for w/d
In my 3400 I ran the drain through the floor. dumps on the ground.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #5
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
I have a 3700 which is similar in layout to your 3720. I suspect the plumbing is pretty much the same between the two models, In my model, the flexible washer drain is in the right wall of the closet. It drops down to the floor, runs under the night stand and connects to the drain under the bed.

As the drain pan is at floor level, I wonder how you prevent the drain line from the washer flowing into the pan when it is pumping out water?

My washer was installed with the drain pan outlet dropping straight down through the floor of the slide at the outside wall. The slide will be out when running the washer so draining this way guarantees the overflow, if it should occur, will drop harmlessly to the ground.
This make sense, and might be a good way to go. As for tie-in to ext. plumbing, I was hoping to tie-in to a vent pipe so there would not be any washer water. But I was thinking this may create another problem, sewer gas (smell). Did they use a grommet to seal around the drain pipe? Do have a picture of where the pipe exits? I guess maybe I have been over thinking this! Sometimes it's best to keep it simple.
Thanks,
Old 04-10-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post

How does that outside drain keep bugs and other critters from travelling through the drain hose and back into the drain pan?
Old 04-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatzzz View Post
<snip>
....as for tie-in to ext. Plumbing, i was hoping to tie-in to a vent pipe so there would not be any washer water....
</snip>
Tying into an existing vent line may be a problem (at least on my 3700). The washer drain comes down through the floor into the basement about a foot or so in from the street side door and next to the garage wall. It then runs over to the curb side where it connects to the input line into the grey tank (the grey tanks runs longitudinally along the curb side).. There is a Tee in the input line which goes back to the bath area (sink and shower drains). Most likely the vent stack is part of that line, You can see the vent stack on the roof just above where the line goes up to the bath.

Quote:
<snip>
... Did they use a grommet to seal around the drain pipe? Do have a picture of where the pipe exits?...
</snip>
To tell the truth, I have no idea what they used to seal around the drain. It obviously is behind and under the washer and impossible to see without removing the washer. I suspect they ran the drain through the floor after caulking the heck out of it.

Below is a picture of the drain (I am unable to position the picture here with this funky new software) . It was taken from underneath looking towards the RV. The top of the picture is the outside wall of the slide. The bottom of the picture shows the wall beneath the slide. As you can probably tell from the dirt marks, one of the slide rollers is right where the drain is when the slide is closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbirds R us View Post
How does that outside drain keep bugs and other critters from travelling through the drain hose and back into the drain pan?
The hole is covered by the roller when the slide is in. The exposure is when the slide is out. We haven't had a problem with bugs or critters. If concerned, I would glue a piece of window screen over the drain hole before installing the washer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170410_154341_resized.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	130  

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #8
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Thanks very much for the picture, does help a lot. I am thinking through the slide floor is probably the way I will go. Once I get the rig home I will do some measuring and make a final decision. Thanks again for the help,