Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2014, 01:12 AM   #41
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
And I thought NY was bad

garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:26 AM   #42
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
So if I'm properly licensed in NC per their DMV rules for 1 ton dually and RV, can I drive in states that require special license or CDL? Here we only have to have standard drivers license for GCWR of 26,001+. And we have to have a Weighted tag that reflects that. I have a 25,000 tag. I could go above 26,001 by the truck spec, but you buy the tag based on what you will be using it for.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:18 AM   #43
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jfaberna

So if I'm properly licensed in NC per their DMV rules for 1 ton dually and RV, can I drive in states that require special license or CDL? Here we only have to have standard drivers license for GCWR of 26,001+. And we have to have a Weighted tag that reflects that. I have a 25,000 tag. I could go above 26,001 by the truck spec, but you buy the tag based on what you will be using it for.
Yes, with one note: you must also meet federal DOT standards. In your case you do. You may still run afoul of local police however, ask Ozz. He was cited for only having one plate in a small town in Arizona. Had he wished to stay and fight it, he would have won, but it would have been more costly than to pay the fine and just move on.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:39 AM   #44
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
These so called CDL licenses that some States require are NOT CDL's A Real CDL is a Federal issued license and defines Federal Standards for Commercial vehicles. The States change some wording and issue them as a money making project. We are not commercial vehicles by the Federal CDL standards unless we are hauling for hire like delivering Rv's.
Of course if you live in a State that requires these phony CDL's you must abide by the States rules but it means nothing in other States.

My Real CDL is valid in ALL States and I must adhere to the Federal Standards for Commercial use( pulling for hire)
There is no such thing as a Non commercial...CDL except in the laws of the States that invented them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:49 AM   #45
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

There is no such thing as a Non commercial...CDL except in the laws of the States that invented them.
And Maryland is one of those states.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:57 AM   #46
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
If I understand Section 471 correctly, a pickup truck must meet all three requirements, GVWR less than 11,500 pounds,unladen weight less than 8,001 pounds, and open box-type bed. There is no "or" in the sentence so all three items must be meet.

My truck has a GVWR of 13,000 pounds and unladen weight of 7689 pounds. Do you think my argument would work with the CHP?

471. A "pickup truck" is a motor truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and which is equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length. "Pickup truck" does not include a motor vehicle otherwise meeting the above definition, that is equipped with a bed-mounted storage compartment unit commonly called a "utility body."

Ken, when you take your Non Commercial driving test, be sure to throughly study the pre trip section, more people fail that anything else. Be sure to have a fire extinguisher and 3 emergency triangles in the truck and tell examiner where they are located. Also watch road sign while doing the driving test. Examiner might ask what was on a road sign that you just drove by. The hardest part of the whole process is dealing the good folks at the DMV.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:14 AM   #47
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I remember with this topic was discussed reference the encounter Ozz had. He was right and the cop was wrong, along with the local prosecutor. If you are properly registered and have the proper valid driver's license from your home state, then you have nothing to worry about. Until a State Trooper from another state stops me and tells me that I have to weigh at every weigh station in his/her state, I will continue to assume that I am exempt and pass them by.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:34 AM   #48
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nailbender

If I understand Section 471 correctly, a pickup truck must meet all three requirements, GVWR less than 11,500 pounds,unladen weight less than 8,001 pounds, and open box-type bed. There is no "or" in the sentence so all three items must be meet.

My truck has a GVWR of 13,000 pounds and unladen weight of 7689 pounds. Do you think my argument would work with the CHP?

471. A "pickup truck" is a motor truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and which is equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length. "Pickup truck" does not include a motor vehicle otherwise meeting the above definition, that is equipped with a bed-mounted storage compartment unit commonly called a "utility body."

Ken, when you take your Non Commercial driving test, be sure to throughly study the pre trip section, more people fail that anything else. Be sure to have a fire extinguisher and 3 emergency triangles in the truck and tell examiner where they are located. Also watch road sign while doing the driving test. Examiner might ask what was on a road sign that you just drove by. The hardest part of the whole process is dealing the good folks at the DMV.
It purely a weight issue. Same for the weight fee part of my registration. It's the GVWR that makes it commercial. So most if not all 3500 series trucks fall into this catch all group. Regardless of bed or body style! As far as Drivers license, I was told my regular license was valid , provided my truck was not for hire!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:37 AM   #49
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nailbender

It purely a weight issue. Same for the weight fee part of my registration. It's the GVWR that makes it commercial. So most if not all 3500 series trucks fall into this catch all group. Regardless of bed or body style! As far as Drivers license, I was told my regular license was valid , provided my truck was not for hire! Just a
Note: I personally would never pass medical requirements. BP meds, heart meds, etc.... Looked at application and wonder how many professional drivers pass their test? I also take a Med made for depression, but used as pain inhibitor! Anyone want to ride with me? Lol
Old 03-29-2014, 07:12 AM   #50
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Don,
No, I don't think it would fly with the CHP. He said it's clear cut, anything with a GVWR over 11,500 lbs is not considered a pickup and must stop at the scales. My hunch is that the majority of them don't know the statute because it is a bit out of the ordinary. I got the impression that the officer had done some research before calling. He mentioned that he conferred with another captain. He did say that most likely I'd be waived through. He cautioned me to be watchful of the speed limits and pay attention to the signals and directions.

My concern is that if I pull into the scales with the RV and without a non-commercial class A, the officers manning the sales are more likely to be familiar with the law and licensing requirements. I don't want to risk a citation for driving without a license....and perhaps having the vehicle and rig impounded, thus I plan to get the non-commercial class A just to be safe.

Thanks for the heads up about the test. I remember hearing that before and I'm sure it was from your experience!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:05 PM   #51
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Ran a test Sunday. Was coming up I5 and pulled into CHP weigh station. I too feel I was risking "other issues"! Not having proper DL, no CA numbers displayed.... Was not only waived through, a Sgt made a point to come out and tell me not to stop! I said there is confusion about when to stop. He told me "RVs being towed by owner" not for hire, need not stop"! Wanted to ask for a "get out a ticket free card" but did not press my luck. I did write down his name. Seemed perturbed at me for holding up the line! So there you have.. No straight answer from CHP headquarters or weigh station officers! I am clearly over weight "F450" fully ladened RV. I feel like a rebel!!!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:02 AM   #52
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Livin' on the wild side!!!
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:24 AM   #53
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Keep in mind that when you call a State Police post, or district, for answers you may get to talk to a higher ranking officer. Depending on what type of "command" officer he/she is could determine what answer you get when it comes to your legal question. That admin person may not have worked the "road" for years, or may have never worked the road and really doesn't understand the enforcement of traffic codes. That is just my opinion based on being retired from the Illinois State Police.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:40 AM   #54
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
""RVs being towed by owner" not for hire, need not stop"! He was telling you what he knew and it applies to a Real CDL license. As I stated there is no such thing as a Non Commercial CDL license except in the laws of the States that invented it.
What that means is Non Commercial..Commercial Drivers License...Does not even make sense. It means nothing in any other State except the State that invented it. The real CDL is valid in all States and applies to Commercial drivers that is pulling for hire.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #55
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The whole Non C CDL thing is pretty stupid, except, just maybe the intent was to weed out the really bad drivers who probably shouldn't even driving a bicycle, much less a pick-up, towing a large 5er. If it was all that important, you would think all the DMV people would be aware. I started out with our Montana in California, just held my breath about not having the Class A endorsement on my class C license, and when we officially went fulltime, changed our domicile to South Dakota and it only took 13 minutes in the South Dakota drivers license office to convert a California license to a South Dakota one. Maybe this is something the Feds should standardize, either make it all or none of the states inventing these laws. Can't imagine how hard it is for real commercial drivers to keep up with all the various laws from the different states.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #56
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Sure glad I live in Virginia a lot of people maybe most don't even bother to put truck tags on their 250 350 pickups.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #57
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
In Texas we have that non-commercial cdl. It just means I can drive fire trucks, school buses, and trucks just as long as I am not hauling loads for hire, another words has to be my truck for pleasure use only. Also means I do not need medical report and the biggy is I am not subject to the penalties a commercial cdl has when pulled over. Speeding tickets cost more if you have a commercial cdl as I have experienced...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #58
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Maybe this is something the Feds should standardize, either make it all or none of the states inventing these laws. Can't imagine how hard it is for real commercial drivers to keep up with all the various laws from the different states.

that is why We have the real CDL license. They are Federal Standards and are the same in all States. The real Commercial driver with a real CDL has only one Standard.

"A commercial driver's license (CDL) is a driver's license required in the United States to operate any type of vehicle weighing more than 26,000 lb (11,793 kg) or more for commercial use, or transports quantities of hazardous materials that require warning placards under Department of Transportation regulations, or that is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver. This includes, but is not limited to, tow trucks, tractor trailers, and buses.[1]

The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 was signed into law on October 27, 1986. The primary intent of the Act was to improve highway safety by ensuring that truck drivers and drivers of tractor trailers and buses are qualified to drive Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMVs), and to remove drivers that are unsafe and unqualified from the highways. The Act continued to give states the right to issue CDLs, but the federal government established minimum requirements that must be met when issuing a CDL.[2]
Old 04-02-2014, 05:36 AM   #59
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Artemus Gordon,
I am NOT surprised! I have never seen an RV nor a "pickup" at the scales, even though I was clearly told I must stop. I, like you, plan on being a rebel. I'm traveling through scales without the rig on Saturday and will stop if they are open. I want to get yelled at too. At least we'll be armed with the officers name if we have the opposite happen!

The non Californian's miss out on all the fun!

JandC,
Boy do you have that right! I had a lieutenant out to the house do a vin verification for DMV on the rig. That is exactly what he told me. To make matters worse, the CHP has a separate division for the scale patrol/service.

Rich,
Perhaps we can get you out here to set our legislature on the right course. BTW, the special license requirements only applies to 5th wheels (trailers).....not Motorhomes....go figure!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #60
Hiller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13360
Lynwood

Your right most folks in Virginia don't even bother with truck tags. I got truck tags on my GMC 2500 but that was what the dealer put on it. I found out real fast why people don't put truck tags on their trucks when I renewed my tags and when I got my Personal property taxes.

Even so doesn't look like anything close to the what our friends on the West Coast are paying. Think I'll stay put
Hiller is offline   Reply With Quote