Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
bish
Site Team

M.O.C. #8644
22 Pistol

Looking to purchase my first pistol for critter control and protection. Leaning toward either Browning Buckmark Standard URX or Smith & Wesson 22A Rimfire. Anyone have experience or comments on best choice?

2009 10th Anniversary 3400RL, LED bulbs throughout unit, Level up, X-Factor, Wet bolts, Disc brakes, Sailun S637 tires.
bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I have no personal experience with either model but both make good pistols. For protection I would like something with a little larger caliber though
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
As a pistol shooter for over 40 years and on pistol teams etc. I would not go with the Buckmark. I have had Brownings in the past, but they were of excellent quality compared to today's versions. I would highly recommend you consider a Ruger Mark III. They are very accurate out of the box and there are so many after market things you can get for them. They will digest just about any brand of ammo you feed it with out any malfunctions.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
bish,
You say you want a pistol for critter control and protection. A 22 is fine for small critter control but not for protection. I have over 20 pistols and revolvers in my safe and close at hand. The smallest caliber I would even think about for protection would be a .380 and that is only made in a automatic and is on the bordeline. If this is your first handgun you may want to look at a 6 round double action revolver instead of a pistol (automatic). A revolver in 38 cal. can shoot slugs or bird shot and is a safe weapon to use. A automatic is more complicated to use and keep clean. I would look at Colt, Smith & Wesson or Ruger. You may want to go to a indoor range and shoot weapons they have there to see what you like and feels good to you.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
For protection I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a 38 although I do have an old Browning 25 that I carry sometimes, but it's tiny and I only use it when I'm not really dressed for concealed carry and don't expect to need it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nosticks

As a pistol shooter for over 40 years and on pistol teams etc. I would not go with the Buckmark. I have had Brownings in the past, but they were of excellent quality compared to today's versions. I would highly recommend you consider a Ruger Mark III. They are very accurate out of the box and there are so many after market things you can get for them. They will digest just about any brand of ammo you feed it with out any malfunctions.
DITTO on the Ruger.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
I'd also recommend that you both take an NRA or equivalent pistol training course as part of this search for a pistol or revolver you want. Many gun shops that have ranges will have items you can rent and shoot to help you make your decision. Ask a lot of questions and get what you feel comfortable shooting.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
bish
Site Team

M.O.C. #8644
Thanks for all the comments. I was thinking of the 22 as a starting point and then look at an additional larger caliber down the road (especially for the protection aspect). I will continue my research and welcome any additional comments.

2009 10th Anniversary 3400RL, LED bulbs throughout unit, Level up, X-Factor, Wet bolts, Disc brakes, Sailun S637 tires.
bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
North American Arms makes a 22 Magnum revolver, 5 shot , single action, called a "Bulldog". As small as the palm of your hand. Great to carry in your pocket with your keys or change. It will stop a man, but is short and not much for target shooting, made for close work.. I've carried one for years. Remember the word , MAGNUM , as it is key to power. IMHO Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
I shoot a lot. I recommend the Ruger Mark III in bull barrel. Try it you will like it.

For protection the best pistol is the one you have and know how to use well.

But you are correct, once you have mastered the 22 choose a second pistol for personal protection and master that one.

All my pistols and revolvers I can take apart, put together, load, unload, and clear in the dark!

And yes take the NRA safety course.

Chip

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:28 AM   #11
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Something small and easy to carry like the Smith & Wesson model 360 airlite. It is a 5 shot. I carry one simular and have it loaded with 2 shot shells and 3 regular rounds 38 special it also shoots the 357 Mag.
There are variations of the 360
360 airlite Chiefs Special 5 shot 1 7/8" bbl 12 oz
360 PD airlite Chiefs special 5 shot 12 oz
360 Airlite Kit Gun 3 1/8"bbl 5 shot

As mentioned above do a practical course. There are many ranges that have4 a variety of firearms that you can try.
Be careful. be safe
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #12
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
All the above are good suggestions, especially the training. I was a police officer for 30 years and am a firearms instructer. For a new shooter who wants a handgun for the purposes you described I would strongly suggest a revolver in .357 magnum. You can load it with everything from 38 special wadcutters to full power .357 magnum. This will allow you to shoot cheap target and pest ammo all the way up to excellent personal defense loads. Also, in the hands of an inexperienced shooter, the revolver is a much simpler and usually more reliable platform than a semi. auto. You should be able to find a good used revolver made by a top manufacturer such as Smith & Wesson or Colt for a very reasonable price since everyone is on a "semi-auto" kick nowdays.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:24 AM   #13
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
A .22 would make a great target, practice, plinking gun. The ammo is very cheap. For protection you want stopping power. Got to remember if you use that weapon on a person he is going to be coming at you to do bodily harm and you do not want him to get to you.....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:43 AM   #14
Gorgeguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11255
For critter control, the Buckmark or Ruger would be good. I assume you mean small critters and not coyotes. Accuracy is important if popping the rodents the two mentioned are good. To be able to afford to shoot alot and get comfortable shooting, the 22 ammo is relatively inexpensive. A pistol is not much good if you are not good with it and comfortable with it. Good idea to start with the 22.
Gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #15
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
For relatively new shooters I would recommend a .22 rifle for the small critters. They are cheaper, easier to learn shoot accurately by a new shooter and usually reliable. Personal protection, a .357 revolver, Ruger 100, Colt, or Smith & Wesson for the reasons listed above. I would also recommend careful consideration of recoil [to include a test firing] if considering a light weight handgun or one with small or short grips.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #16
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
I have the Ruger-love it!
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #17
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Put me squarely in the Ruger camp for the .22. As far as a self defense piece,look at the Ruger GP100 in .357 mag. if you don't plan to carry it (it's heavy). Both of them are tough as nails and will outlast your grandchildren
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
In Canada we are not allowed to carry handguns except with a permit for shooting at a Gun club range. In some cases guides, trappers and prospectors can get carry permits. I have owned several handguns and my favorites were/are a Ruger single six 22 rim fire and my current Ruger Security six 357 magnum.

If you want to have fun plunking small rodents then buy a 22 rifle or a good long barreled handgun, the fun is in the shooting at, not necessarily the killing of critters.

If you have never shot a 357 magnum, then by all means do so, while shooting this handgun with it's significant recoil, imagine someone whacked out on drugs coming at you with the intent to hurt you or your loved ones, imagine your loved ones screaming and your heart pounding in your chest so hard it hurts. Do you think at that time you could hit this person in a spot likely to kill him.

We cannot practice for this event unless we are training in the military or police forces. The chances are very great you would wind up having the handgun used against you.

In my opinion there is absolutely no better gun for protection against what might be coming at you at close range than a sawed off 12 gauge shotgun. This includes anything from a grizzly to a madman.

Buy a 22 for the fun of shooting, buy a sawed off shotgun to kill. God willing you will never have to use the shotgun.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #19
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Buy a 22 for the fun of shooting, buy a sawed off shotgun to kill. God willing you will never have to use the shotgun.
Just so everyone stays on the right side of the law here, sawed off shotguns are NOT legal in the US. You can however buy shotguns with barrels that are 18" in length, the minimum length allowed by law.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:53 AM   #20
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
I totally agree with what Lee F. said. I have a 4" .357 mag double action revolver. It does give me a lot of diversity. I use .357 ammo when dear hunting which, I have not done it years. Over the years with this weapon I have discovered that I have much more accuracy with the .38 Special ammo because, there is not nearly as much recoil and I can get down on target quicker. Currently, it is loaded with "hot" jacketed hollow points which give me much better accuracy. When I have that thing loaded with .357 ammo, after the first round, I can't hit anything nearly as quick!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote