Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
GPS

I am considering a new GPS and was wondering if any one has purchased one of the Rand McNally ones that are designed for RV's? I also understand Garmin has a new one out that is designed for RV's too, but I have seen them yet. Any input would be helpful.
Thanks,
Don

Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
A big thing to consider when purchasing a GPS is how updates are performed. Hopefully whatever unit you select can be done via a USB and at your computer, or the unit does not have to be connected to the vehicle to perform the update or the update does not take very long.

I have an incredible but very expensive Pioneer AVIC Z1 unit uses Hard disk for its database and program execution - very quick and holds a lot of data. I recently purchased the update DVDs and these TWO DVDs hold a bunch of POIs and the software to be updated. It will take approximately 3 hours to perform the update! Keeping in mind the car has to be on or running for the update to occur. Others who have done this needed a couple of days to complete the update because when you shut the car off, the process stops until you turn your vehicle on again so it can continue. Then there's a critical part of the update when updating the unit's firmware that one must NOT interrupt the update for about 15 to 20 minutes. What a hassle!

Whatever brand or model you pick, I hope whatever you pick is easier than this unit to update. You will want one that is update capable since you'll want install new POIs, data, software and firmware as opposed to buying a new unit every time you want new stuff. I bought my unit with update capability but selected this one because of the features and intelligence. Being a big time nerd, I don't mind the complexities, but just want to provide the heads-up for anyone who might not want to be surprised.

(DW and I are planning a long trip to get this done, about two hours out, stop for breaks and activities, then two hours back, should do it.)
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Just purchased the Magellan RV9165T-LM and am very happy with it so far. I've taken a few car trips in the RV mode and it seems to work very well at avoiding low bridges and advising turns.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I bought the Garmin 465LMT (Lifetime Maps and traffic) from Amazon. I'm very happy with it. I retired my 10 year old Garmin Street Pilot to my work truck and it still works fine.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
My TomTom caused me to have to back Monty about 1/4 mile in St. Louis , Mo. Took me to railroad tresses about 10 ft. above rd. We were trying to get to a KOA.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Gorgeguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11255
I got the Rand McNally 5510 this past fall. I like it, but I think my Garmin NUVI 205W that I use in my car is more user friendly. But then I have had 8 Garmins including driving, hiking and aviation so I am more familiar with GArmin's way of doing things. But I give the 5510 a thumbs up.
Gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Here is a link to another GPS thread.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=48110
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have always had great luck with Garmin. However when we get close to a Campground, we follow the directions in the Book vice what Garmin tells us. We figure the campground knows the best route for an RV to take to get into the campground. We have not owned one specifically loaded for RV travel.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:12 AM   #9
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We have had the Rand McNally for almost a year and like it. Like all the RV Park information.
It warns you of down grades and sharp curves. Tells you all rest areas and WalMarts on your route you can park at.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I stopped using my truck's gps. My Droid phone is easier to use and I always have it with me no matter which vehicle I use. And it's free!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
We bought the Rand McNally from Camping World. We love it. In 2010 we headed off down a state road in Penn, and no signs warned us of any danger. However 23 different motorists came p alongside of us and warned us we were bout to DIE. Apparently just ahead we were doomed to try and go under an overpass that had just 10 feet of clearance. WE got off in time. A year or so later I read about the new RV Friendly Rand McNally GPS in the Good Sam Magazine, and I thought that would be a great thing to have.
We bought one in Feb, paid $359 with our Presidents Club discount at Camping World. We are on our way home from Yuma, AZ and in Corning, CA right now. WE love the new GPS, with it's 7" screen so easy for driver and passenger to see the route, and so many neat features. We have entered all the specifics for our Monty, length, height and weight and when traveling in the RV Mode, hopefully we should never be directed down a road with a narrow, unsafe bridge, or with low overheads, tunnels that do not permit propane, etc.
This is the BEST GPS we have ever owned. Well worth the money.
klash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #12
rollie41
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6844
We have the Rand McNally with the 7" screen and love it. I just down loaded an update for the computer dock for it which lets you load custom POI's to it. I added all Passport America and Escapees parks and National parks etc. among others.
rollie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
Thanks for the information. Sounds like I better start shopping for a Rand McNally, but I think I will go for the 5 inch one.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:59 AM   #14
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Don, I think I'm with you. I was thinking of getting a Garmin 465t for the truck. But with all this info I will look into the Rand McNally.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:12 AM   #15
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wiesehan

Thanks for the information. Sounds like I better start shopping for a Rand McNally, but I think I will go for the 5 inch one.
Don
Try to figure out where it will be mounted - that 7 inch screen is NICE! I might suggest cutting out two pieces of paper - one 5 inch and one 7 inch screen size. Then put them where you think the unit will go. Mine has to be far enough away that I am really glad I have the 7 inch as it is much easier to see.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote