Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Crunch...

Well, it finally happened...I've encountered the dreaded "low" over head collision.

I went on a weekend trip to local road race track, Lime Rock Race Track in NW CT. On entry I had approached the gate at the most right side thinking I could jog off pavement to the right to avoid the awning over the attendant booths. One of the attendants flagged me over to their booth and I broke from my cautious mode thinking they knew clearance was safe too pass. Also note, there was nothing to indicate the height of this cover...well after check in I proceeded forward to an awful sound...

I filled out paper work but with the way the security crew was treating this...appears they were slanting it towards me claiming it on my insurance carrier. Not much help as my deductible is $500...

We are trying to push this issue as I'd like at the very least to see them post height signs so others won't have to discover the clearance is 12ft...

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
5 wheeling
Established Member

M.O.C. #11375
Sorry to see this... i tend to be very cautious about this as well.
Hope all goes ok with needed repairs.
5 wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Sorry that happen.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Sorry this happened, but I agree they should accept some resposibility here. I definately would persue this. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Noneck,
Thanks for sharing your bad news! I am really sorry to see this sort of thing. Of course, you, the driver is ultimately responsible for this sort of thing. But you were going by the direction of one of their employees so there are some mitigating circumstances. At the very least you would expect to have some markings to go by so as to make a good decision on where exactly to drive.

I'm sure you'll watch carefully when the insurance and or shop people examine the damage. But be aware that there may be some "hidden" damage. There may have been enough pressure to cause some tweaking of the AC that might cause leaking. It may not be just cosmetic damage.

I wish you the best of luck in dealing with this process. Please let us know how it all goes. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

OH, so sorry to hear of the mishap. I do hope they will work with you, after all they directed you to where it happened at. Hope everything works out ok!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I hope it's only the A/C cover that's broken. Those can be replaced easier and cheaper than any other part of the A/C.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Sorry to hear and see such damage. I've been trying for the past 2 weeks to find out the clearance on Canadian PH 420 going to the Rainbow Bridge. MOT says contact City of Niagara Falls, City of Niagara Falls says contact MOT, even the KOA doesn't know and they list that route to get to their place from Niagara Falls, NY.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Clearance should have been posted. It is a race track they can reasonably expect high vehicles to be in and out. My guess is it has happened before. the fault is theirs.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
the new covers cost about $175 apiece. We had to replace two, courtesy of some hail stones
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow Paul and Jan, $175 is about 1/4 to 1/5 the cost of a new unit! What a ripoff for some molded plastic!!! Man, the RV world sucks big wind - they think they are selling gold and diamonds when they sell piece meal parts. This plastic must be hand carved for that price.

I hope you saved the pieces... time for some glue and tape but it has to be able to withstand 65mph plus wind speed.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #12
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Well, not looking so good for this place recognizing fault. I did hear some comments that others had encountered similar events. The big haulers are staged and enter by crossing the track when racing is not active.
I've endured rain storms so the damaged unit is leak tight...yesterday I pulled down the interior panel to inspect and gather model number to see about replacement as this unit is a 2002 vintage. Appears to be another DIY for me, looks like ppl motorhomes has a good price.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #13
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
noneck,

My wife and I discussed your situation and feel that the appropriate argument is as follows:

Quote:
quote:As I approached the kiosk, an agent of your company directed me to a spot that I have not previously traveled. Because your agent directed me to this spot and because your company has not appropriately posted height limits, it is our position that the damage resulting from your agent's actions is your company's responsibility. We hope to resolve this situation amicably as we are regular visitors; when should we pick up a check for $xxx.xx?

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Michael and Kat,
Were you two Hostage Negotiator in your previous lives? Excellent suggestion you've posted for Noneck. I hope it helps. The business really should have some signage indicating the potential hazards. Travel safely, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Sounds to me that Mike and Kat were union stewards for the Letter Carriers. That is exactly what I would have come up with in my negotiating the situation, noneck! It was THEIR fault that they do not have the heights posted and THEIR fault for directing you into the spot causing the damage! THEY knew the restrictions for that specific position and thus it is THEIR responsibility to pay for the damages! THEY carry insurance for just this type of instances!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #16
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Thanks...TEAM MOC for your caring responses and a BIG Thank you to Michael & Kat for your extra efforts...will give it a try.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #17
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
It may be worth your while to contact the state of CT. Most (maybe all) states require postings for any clearance that is less than 14' to prevent just this type of accident. Not only should they pay for the damage, but there is likely an agency responsible for ensuring low clearance sign compliance who would be all too happy to issue a fine for non-compliance.

Good luck
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #18
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Well, I'm regaining some appreciation for people as they have contacted me and asked for an estimate of cost. Being handy I offered a value that was just what the roof top unit cost w/shipping and will see if they come through. I will continue to be an advocate they post height signs at the booths as I would like others to not endure a similar event. Will let you know the final out-come.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #19
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Wahoo! Happy to report Limerock park came through and covered the cost of the unit and shipping. I'm happy but on my trips to the park will still be an advocate in hope to see some form of per ticket booth signage regarding height limit.
A/C Unit purchased from PPL Motorhomes w/shipping $704.99 15k BTU lower flange matched up and plugged right into existing controls...
Old 07-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #20
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Congrats!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote