Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2016, 07:18 AM   #1
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Flooring Replacement

After many years, I'm getting back on the forum.

We have a 2005 Montana 2980RL. After 11 years, the carpet in the living area is getting worn and dirty and not able to be cleaned, even professionally. We would like to take out the carpet and vinyl on the main floor and put in laminate flooring. We will keep the carpet in the main slide, the kitchen slide has carpet only on the leading edge of the slide.

Has anyone had experience in doing this? Will the slides work over laminate flooring? I called Keystone/Montana customer service and was told it would work as long as the thickness of the laminate would allow the slideout to move over the flooring.

If you have experience, did you have the flooring replaced professionally or did you do it yourself?

Appreciate any help/advice anyone can give.

Thanks!

Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #2
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill Hill

After many years, I'm getting back on the forum.

We have a 2005 Montana 2980RL. After 11 years, the carpet in the living area is getting worn and dirty and not able to be cleaned, even professionally. We would like to take out the carpet and vinyl on the main floor and put in laminate flooring. We will keep the carpet in the main slide, the kitchen slide has carpet only on the leading edge of the slide.

Has anyone had experience in doing this? Will the slides work over laminate flooring? I called Keystone/Montana customer service and was told it would work as long as the thickness of the laminate would allow the slideout to move over the flooring.

If you have experience, did you have the flooring replaced professionally or did you do it yourself?

Appreciate any help/advice anyone can give.

Thanks!
Being a home remodeler/builder for 20 yrs. I think I would shy away from trying to do a laminate floor in these trailers. Reason 1, they are probably thick enough to cause issues with the slides, if you get it balled up underneath a slide I don't know what you would do..
2,Laminates require either glue down or float install, neither would be good in a trailer with slides in my opinion.
My flooring of choice would be some of this new heavy vinyl like they put in these new ones. The colors and styles are endless and the thickness is minimal, (probably) allowing installation right over your existing surface with at most a skim-coat of a leveler.

Just my .02 cents

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:18 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There are members who have successfully installed laminate in their rigs. Use the search function for "laminate floor" or similar and you should have some guidelines on a successful installation.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #4
oceandansar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17865
just finished doing ours pulled the carpet out of living area and slide left the linoleum. We installed allure vinyl plank over the top of the old linoleum you cant tell where its at just make sure its stapled down real good. The slide turned out real good also started against the outside wall and worked my way in left the overhang just like they do with carpet. I did the kitchen slide also.
oceandansar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #5
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
We replaced the carpet in our 2002 a little over a year ago.. We did it our self and we used Pergo for the replacement. We have a drop down slide and a non drop down slide in the kitchen. We started on the Kitchen side and used finish nails to lock one side down. You can not see the nails because they are under a trim piece.. The rest of the floor floats over top of a vapor barrier.. On the drop down side we put down 3" nylon strips when we run the slides in as the slide can scratch the floor. You do have to vacuum the floor everytime you run the slides in as any small rocks will scratch the Pergo.. It can be done by yourself..