Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2004, 02:53 PM   #21
tnorfitz
Established Member

M.O.C. #2069
Went to the truck dealer today and he showed me the tow/haul/overdrive lockout button. That should really come in handy in certain situations. I found out that this was not an option in the 2001 D/A models. The owners son, nor my salesman, knew that was a function on the new trucks. Thanks for the info, again.
Wish that would have been an option on my 2002 GMC 1500HD 4X4 Sierra CC. We pulled a 19' Wildwood TT to Phoenix and back and wished we could keep the tranny from trying to get into overdrive. We drove some of the trip in '3' just to keep it from shifting so much.
From what I have heard from all you great people out there, it sounds like our combo should pull fairly well down the road, even in overdrive. Never had a diesel before

tnorfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 12:29 PM   #22
Montana_2203
Established Member

M.O.C. #2203
[quote]Originally posted by Montana Sky

In my opinion you have all the truck you need to tow the 3400RL.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think you know what you are talking about..... I went to the dealer, ran my VIN #... got a print out on the options.... and you were exactly right.... My buddies are telling me I need a dullie but I have already convinced myself that 28 yrs. in the drivers seat of a tractor trailer pulling doubles in all types of weather and running 48 states should give me enough experience in the pickup... the only reason I was researching all this stuff is cause all my experience was in a "big truck" and this is the first 'diesel' pickup and the first 5th. wheel camper and I was just pickin' peoples brains..... you get an "A"
thanks Montana Sky......... see ya around the campgrounds.... if ya ever see my rig... my license plate on the truck is "CRAZYDOG" and when you see "Zack" in the front seat you will understand why...

Montana_2203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 01:40 PM   #23
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
I certainly agree with those who say there is not a need for a dually. When I was looking, my truck dealer said that in his opinion, the reason he would get a dually would be if he were hauling something like a stock trailer where the load would be somewhat "liquid" in his vernacular. I went for the single wheel 2500 GMC duramax/allison, and have not been sorry at all. I have had no feeling of instability in my 15,000 miles of pulling, often in quite windy conditions.

Not that the dually wouldn't do the job, but why have the extra wheels/tires and the extra "turning" wear if you didn't really need it.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 06:54 PM   #24
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Not many dealers know a lot about towing. Was told a dually was required to deliver new 5vers. Factories might know more about towing.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 08:27 PM   #25
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Speezack,
I am glad to hear you are happy with your truck decision. I know I could not be happier with my 2500HD. I will keep my eyes open for ya on the open roads. Let us know how things are going.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:01 AM   #26
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Since my truck dealer also is the largest dealer for large Pace Trailers (cargo, racing, and livestock) in the midwest as well as one of the major installers of gooseneck and fifth wheel "hitches", I decided to trust him on his recommendation, and I have found no reason since to feel the subsequent decision was inappropriate.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:59 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
C5racer, near Goshen, IN, we saw a billboard advertising for delivery drivers. It said "Must have one ton truck" but said nothing about duallies. Maybe that's assumed and answering the ad would result in them saying it must be a dually. But we saw a lot of delivery trucks towing away from the area that were not duallies. They had the business name on the side of the truck so I'm sure they were deliveries. I could see where a dually would be required for the heavier rigs where more pinweight would put a SRW over it's GAWR or GVWR.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 09:30 AM   #28
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
I always pull my 3295RK in overdrive. Never pull using cruise control. Trailer Life magazine had a response to a letter regarding this. I have found that fuel mileage is much better without using the tow/haul portion of the Allison tranny. We have made only 3 long trips since we bought our Monty. First to Oklahoma City, did fine through the flint hills on I-35, only jumped down below 3rd gear 2 times. I didn't anticipate the long climbs quick enough on the way to OK City. Did better comming home. The 2nd was to Bella Vista, Ark; never kicked out of overdrive during the time we were on on the road. 3rd time went to Nashville, Ten; only time came out of overdrive was going up the climb after crossing the Mississippi river.

This was traveling 65 - 70 mph, with rpms around 2000 according to the Tachometer.

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 03:49 AM   #29
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I drive a dually crew cab. My reasons are that I like to carry alot in the bed of the truck - sometimes an ATV, sometimes my motorcycle, other times my generator and a whole lot of other stuff. With the dually, pulling a 327RKS (and a Mallard 30E in the past) I have always been able to load up with out worrying about being too heavy. At the time I purchased my truck the only 1 tons that were avalible from Chevy were the duallies. I understand you can now get a 1 ton crew cab thats not a dually from Chevy. I might consider it next time. I have 108000 on the truck now. At 65 - 70 I turn around 2100 rpms get between 7 and 9 gpm and drive in overdrive all the time with no problems. I figure maybe another 100,000 miles and it will be time to get another. Unless of course I find something I really like better then all bets are off. As for listening and believing what your truck dealer tells you beware. Some of them have a hard enough time telling the difference between a SUV and Truck let alone knowing anything about tow vehicles.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
1999 Chevy 454 Vortec Crew Cab Dually Long Bed
2005 327RKS TT
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:57 AM   #30
tnorfitz
Established Member

M.O.C. #2069
Jeff,
Just a wise guy response here!!!
If I was only getting 7 - 9 gallons per mile, I would look to trade it in for something that got at least 7 - 9 miles per gallon.
Sorry for the input, but I just couldn't resist.
tnorfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:34 AM   #31
Montana_2213

M.O.C. #2213
The main point to remember is that part of the formula for the towing capacity of your truck is in the braking capability and the DuraMax/Allison combo gives you some important engine-braking. If you do not have your DuraMax in Tow/Haul mode, and you need to brake suddenly, it could create a problem.

Please be careful shifting out of Tow/Haul while cruising. My "policy" is to keep my truck in Tow/Haul at all times when pulling a load. You never know when you might need the extra engine-braking capability.

Phil
Montana_2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 06:40 AM   #32
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tnorfitz

Jeff,
Just a wise guy response here!!!
If I was only getting 7 - 9 gallons per mile, I would look to trade it in for something that got at least 7 - 9 miles per gallon.
Sorry for the input, but I just couldn't resist.
OH MAN! You got me. These past two weeks have been...well lets just say challenging. So do I really have to tell m wife its really 7 - 9 miles to the gallon and not 7 to 9 gallons per mile. Man if she finds out I will never be able to trade the truck in for something new.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote