Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
gprice
Established Member

M.O.C. #2492
Tire Recommendations

I have a 2008 Montana 3485SA and I am thinking of replacing all 4 tires.
The tires that came on the coach new are Mission ST 235/80/R16E.
They still look great, no cracks, etc., but the date code on the tires is 2207. (5 yrs old)
These are 10 ply tires that are rated at 3520 lbs @ 80 psi.
My coach has a GVWR of 15,250 lbs.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a good brand/size that would be likely to hold up well over the next 5-6 yrs ??
I've heard of alot of instances of blowouts, and I want to try to avoid having that problem.
Thanks.

DJ

gprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Most likely you can't go to Goodyear G614's without changing your wheels due to the pressure rating on older wheels. Our local tire expert, has a shop in New Mexico, recommends Maxis tires if you want to stay with 80# tires. Maxis gets good reviews on this and several other forums. There are also a number of our members that have had good success with light truck tires like the BF Goodrich. By the way, you obviously take good care of your tires. If you search Mission tires on most forums, including this one, you'll find their reputation is similar to the Marathons.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I have no idea how you got 5 years out of those tires unless you only go a little bit but if you put on the miles I do those china bombs are junk and every 2 years I will change . I now have copper 235/85R16 but they are USA made . They went on last june so next june of 2013 I get new tires ,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
gprice
Established Member

M.O.C. #2492
To avoid the extra expense of having to replace rims & all, I am considering the Maxxis E rated ST tire.
They are load rated at 3420 lbs per tire, which is only 100 lbs lower than the Mission tires I now have.

Will I be safe in just going with the Maxxis ??
Thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I just had to replace my axels because they ruined my old tires that were Falkens from Japan never a problem but that size has been discontinued so I installed a new set of LT/235/85R16e Uniroyal laredo HG/Hs made in USA very pleased with the price and the service so far. my tire man and the resident MOC tire pro said they were good thats good enough for me. they are rated for 3042# with a good amount of safety built in. JMHO
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You will only be safe with the Maxxis if you have 6,000 lb axles. If you have 7,000 lb axles, then each tire must support more than 3,500 lbs to exceed the rating.

I do know my older '06 unit has 6,000lb axles. The Marathons I have now (I know, I know, but it's what I have and I keep them at spec and watch them religiously) are rated at 3,420 so they support way more than the 3,000 lbs per tire I need. They are more than 1/2 way done with their life and will probably get Maxxis when it's time.

I like staying with the STs because it mentally forces me to stay under the 65mph speed rating. I am able to stay at or under 65 even when on the downhill or when passing (stay slow or don't pass). DW loves that I never try to outrun anything and so far we have NEVER been in a hurry. With Marathons I would never push it.

BTW - it should be five tires. Don't forget the spare!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
In the E-Load range, we have had great luck with the Firestone TransForce HT light truck tire.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'll post this again because folks keep looking at what it says on the side of the tire and making decision on that. Here's a post from another forum a year or so back that explains why Marathons "read" well and perform crappy: I have asked many times for someone to explain how a ST tire can be rated to carry more weight than a LT tire in a similar size, without a good answer.

The answer lies in what is called reserve capacity. To quote from Trailer Parts Superstore and this same statement exist on just about every tire site:

HEAVY DUTY 'LT' TRUCK / TRAILER TIRES
'LT' signifies the tire is a "Light Truck/Trailer" series that can be used on trailers that are capable of carrying heavy cargo such as equipment trailers.

If a tire size begins with 'LT' it signifies the tire is a "Light Truck-metric" size that was designed to be used on trailers that are capable of carrying heavy cargo or tow vehicles. Tires branded with the "LT" designation are designed to provide substantial reserve capacity to accept the additional stresses of carrying heavy cargo.

So what is reserve capacity? It is capacity beyond the rating of the tire, capacity that is held in reserve. This reserve capacity comes from the heavy-duty sidewall of the LT type tires. LT's rank at the top of the list when we look at P, ST and LT tires.

Now I finally have an answer to how a ST tire can be rated to carry more weight than a LT tire of similar size.

The ratings of ST tires infringe into the reserve capacity of the tire. This is double bad, because the design of the ST gives us a tire with less reserve capacity to start with as it has a lighter sidewall to start with as most ST tires are much lighter than their LT counterparts.

To quote one tire site:
"Put a different way, the load carrying capacity of an ST tire is 20% greater than an LT tire. Since durability is strictly a long term issue - and the results of a tire failure on a trailer are much less life threatening than on a truck - the folks that set up these load / inflation pressure relationships allow a greater......ah......let's call it load intensity."

There it is in print to be read. They make a calculated decision to give the ST tire a higher load rating because a failure is less life threatening.

I have on a number of occasions pointed out the weight difference between the different tires and have been told that does not matter. Well it does matter. The rubber in the average tire only makes up around 40 some percent of its weight, the rest is in the steel belts, gum strips, steel beads, and the carcass plies. The remaining 60 or so percent of the stuff in a tire is what builds in the reserve capacity.

So to review again, here are some weights:
1. Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16 LRE (rated to 3042lbs) Weight 55.41
2. Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 LRG (rated to 3750lbs) Weight 57.5
3. Bridgestone Duravis R250 LT235/85R16 LRE(rated to 3042lbs) Weight 60
4. BFG Commercial TA LT235/85R16 LRE(rated to 3042lbs) Weight 44.44
5. Uniroyal Laredo HD/H LT235/85R16 LRE(rated to 3042lbs) Weight 44.44
6. GY Marathon ST235/80R16 LRE(rated to 3420lbs) Weight 35.4

So which tires on the list have the most reserve capacity? Well that is not a completely simple answer, as one of the tires is a G rate 110 lb tire and the rest are LRE at 80lb inflation. So if we disregard the G614, then the Michelin XPS RIB and the Bridgestone Duravis R250 due to their all-steel ply construction will have the most reserve capacity inherent in their construction. The twin Commercial TA and Laredo will be next and the Marathon would have little or no reserve capacity available because it was used up in its higher load rating, AND because of it's much lighter construction it had much less inherent reserve capacity to start with.

So what have we learn from this?

I think that the first thing that we learned was that a LT tire can be used at or near it max rated loading without having issues, as they built with "substantial reserve capacity to accept the additional stresses of carrying heavy cargo".

The second thing we may have learned is why ST tires are failing on mid to larger 5th wheels, in that they do not have inherent reserve capacity beyond that rated max loading. Again this is because they have less reserve capacity to start with and their greater "load intensity" used up any reserve capacity that might have been available.

Now, here is an interesting bit of information. I just called Maxxis Tech Line and asked the weights for two tires.

ST235/80R16 LRD 3000 lb rating at 65 lbs of air weights 38.58
ST235/80R16 LRE 3420 lb rating at 80 lbs of air weights 43.43

What??? The Maxxis load range E tire weights almost the same as the Commercial TA?? This is a ST tire that has heavier construction than the GY Marathon at 35.4 lbs. So it has more inherent reserve capacity due to its heavier construction.

Those that claimed its virtues maybe did not know why it was a better ST tire than some of the others, but there it is! It is a heavier built tire with more reserve capacity.

So as one chooses a replacement tire or is asking for an upgrade on a new trailer please get educated on where the reserve capacity exist. Is it inherent in the tire you choose or do you have to factor it into the weight rating of the tire you choose.

Those with heavy trailers that are switching to 17.5 rims and tires rated to 4805 lbs and getting a double injection of reserve capacity, in that they are using a tire with lots of inherent reserve capacity and the tire has much more capacity than the application. It is all starting to make sense.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:47 AM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Great information!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Don't forget to consider the height after you've done this. Getting larger, more capable tires are great but don't get too comfortable then lop off the A/C on your roof. It's about knowing all the possibilities and how they all work together.

While this should be minimal, but with some rigs being almost 13' 6" (the minimal state requirement in Colorado for underpass height) the new tires sound great, but keeping "looking up" and planning ahead.

DQDick - Thanks for the great information once again and nothing wrong with reading it over and over!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
I have an 09 3585SA with 3500# rims and 7K axles. I've got 4 3750# 16 rims due in any day and then I will take them down to the local truck tire shop and have G614s put on all five rims. The spare rim is a 3750 rim. The steel rims are not as nice looking as the Tredits, but a lot less money. A lot of money spent doing this, but worth the piece of mind as a roll down the road in the near future. Anybody need four Tredit TR-6 3500# 16 inch rims for a good price?
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Let's review the bidding. I didn't see where gprice stated he had 80 psi rims, just tires that were limited to 80 psi. He probably has 7k axles and wheels that are rated at 110 psi and 3750 lbs. If so he can put on anything his wallet will allow.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
gprice
Established Member

M.O.C. #2492
Just checked my wheels today, and they are 110 psi and 3750 lbs.
That being said, what would be a good "affordable" tire that I can rely on.
I think the GY's are $350.00 each.
Thanks
Old 03-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Here's an explanation of trailer tires I put on the other thread that I got from another site that will give you some ideas: I have asked many times for someone to explain how a ST tire can be rated to carry more weight than a LT tire in a similar size, without a good answer.

The answer lies in what is called reserve capacity. To quote from Trailer Parts Superstore and this same statement exist on just about every tire site:

HEAVY DUTY 'LT' TRUCK / TRAILER TIRES
'LT' signifies the tire is a "Light Truck/Trailer" series that can be used on trailers that are capable of carrying heavy cargo such as equipment trailers.

If a tire size begins with 'LT' it signifies the tire is a "Light Truck-metric" size that was designed to be used on trailers that are capable of carrying heavy cargo or tow vehicles. Tires branded with the "LT" designation are designed to provide substantial reserve capacity to accept the additional stresses of carrying heavy cargo.

So what is reserve capacity? It is capacity beyond the rating of the tire, capacity that is held in reserve. This reserve capacity comes from the heavy-duty sidewall of the LT type tires. LT's rank at the top of the list when we look at P, ST and LT tires.

Now I finally have an answer to how a ST tire can be rated to carry more weight than a LT tire of similar size.

The ratings of ST tires infringe into the reserve capacity of the tire. This is double bad, because the design of the ST gives us a tire with less reserve capacity to start with as it has a lighter sidewall to start with as most ST tires are much lighter than their LT counterparts.

To quote one tire site:
"Put a different way, the load carrying capacity of an ST tire is 20% greater than an LT tire. Since durability is strictly a long term issue - and the results of a tire failure on a trailer are much less life threatening than on a truck - the folks that set up these load / inflation pressure relationships allow a greater......ah......let's call it load intensity."

There it is in print to be read. They make a calculated decision to give the ST tire a higher load rating because a failure is less life threatening.

I have on a number of occasions pointed out the weight difference between the different tires and have been told that does not matter. Well it does matter. The rubber in the average tire only makes up around 40 some percent of its weight, the rest is in the steel belts, gum strips, steel beads, and the carcass plies. The remaining 60 or so percent of the stuff in a tire is what builds in the reserve capacity.

So to review again, here are some weights:
1. Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16 LRE (rated to 3042lbs) Weight 55.41
2. Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 LRG (rated to 3750lbs) Weight 57.5
3. Bridgestone Duravis R250 LT235/85R16 LRE(rated to 3042lbs) Weight 60
4. BFG Commercial TA LT235/85R16 LRE(rated to 3042lbs) Weight 44.44
5. Uniroyal Laredo HD/H LT235/85R16 LRE(rated to 3042lbs) Weight 44.44
6. GY Marathon ST235/80R16 LRE(rated to 3420lbs) Weight 35.4

So which tires on the list have the most reserve capacity? Well that is not a completely simple answer, as one of the tires is a G rate 110 lb tire and the rest are LRE at 80lb inflation. So if we disregard the G614, then the Michelin XPS RIB and the Bridgestone Duravis R250 due to their all-steel ply construction will have the most reserve capacity inherent in their construction. The twin Commercial TA and Laredo will be next and the Marathon would have little or no reserve capacity available because it was used up in its higher load rating, AND because of it's much lighter construction it had much less inherent reserve capacity to start with.

So what have we learn from this?

I think that the first thing that we learned was that a LT tire can be used at or near it max rated loading without having issues, as they built with "substantial reserve capacity to accept the additional stresses of carrying heavy cargo".

The second thing we may have learned is why ST tires are failing on mid to larger 5th wheels, in that they do not have inherent reserve capacity beyond that rated max loading. Again this is because they have less reserve capacity to start with and their greater "load intensity" used up any reserve capacity that might have been available.

Now, here is an interesting bit of information. I just called Maxxis Tech Line and asked the weights for two tires.

ST235/80R16 LRD 3000 lb rating at 65 lbs of air weights 38.58
ST235/80R16 LRE 3420 lb rating at 80 lbs of air weights 43.43

What??? The Maxxis load range E tire weights almost the same as the Commercial TA?? This is a ST tire that has heavier construction than the GY Marathon at 35.4 lbs. So it has more inherent reserve capacity due to its heavier construction.

Those that claimed its virtues maybe did not know why it was a better ST tire than some of the others, but there it is! It is a heavier built tire with more reserve capacity.

So as one chooses a replacement tire or is asking for an upgrade on a new trailer please get educated on where the reserve capacity exist. Is it inherent in the tire you choose or do you have to factor it into the weight rating of the tire you choose.

Those with heavy trailers that are switching to 17.5 rims and tires rated to 4805 lbs and getting a double injection of reserve capacity, in that they are using a tire with lots of inherent reserve capacity and the tire has much more capacity than the application. It is all starting to make sense.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:03 AM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
This site has the Goodyear G614's listed for $323. One think of interest I noted, it says these tires are "highly retreadable" their words not mine. Has anyone considered having this done?

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com.../product/RG614
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:14 AM   #16
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Ours say they can be retreaded right on them. The problem is, how many folks do you know who wore the treads off a trailer tire (not out of alignment) in 5-7 years. Not many. The tire engineer that spoke to the Escapee's Boot Camp and I talked about this at length. The sidewalls will begin to break down from age and he said he would not recommend retreading a trailer tire under any circumstances.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 AM   #17
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
OK, that makes sense!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I just learned something today from the store mangier at our local Goodyear store. They cant service a tire that is over 6 years old, they can't even fix a flat.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #19
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
IF you want a tire that's built almost the same but a bit better in some aspects than the Goodyear G614 but carries 80lbs. air pressure at maximum load, do some research on the Goodyear G949 keeping in mind the safety factor built into LT tires.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:01 AM   #20
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
The G949 is not available in a G rating, they are E rated with the max load capacity of theLT245/75R16 E at 3042 lbs
The G rated G614 goes to 3750 lbs
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote