Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2009, 03:00 AM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Microwave oven door

Heated up a cup of coffee in the Apollo 1/2 time oven/microwave and when I went to use it a few minutes later it seems the button that you push to open the door went cowbunky. Can't open the door anymore. It just pushes in as if a spring or something fell off.
Anyone had this happen?? It takes a special star bit with a hole in it to get all the back screws off. and not sure what I'd be getting into if I did open it up. Is it a simple fix??
thanks for any info
Allen in MT

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:11 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The latch breaking is a pretty common problem.

I only came across one of those screws with the stud in the middle. The rest were just the star bits. I found an air chisel to be the appropriate tool for that one screw.

Once you get in there, I'm not sure where you go from there. I think Ozz captured some photos of the fix. Unfortunately the latch piece most likely broke and you'll need to get a replacement. Sears is the repair place now, and with luck, they will have an exploded view on line and you can order what you need, but I haven't tried.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
if you do a search you will find this in another area: BTW, there is a way to open the door with a table knife I believe but cannot find. If you do, please post.

Apollo Built-in Microwave instructions for replacing the door latch release bracket.
The part that you have received is to replace the defective part that is located INSIDE the microwave. You are NOT replacing the button that opens the door. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the installation of this part please call us at 800-772-7262 or 574-472-4283 (our direct line).
Tools needed: Phillips head screwdriver, flat head screwdriver, needle nose pliers and flashlight.
1.Remove the plastic Trim Kit from around the Microwave by removing the 6 screw caps and screws. Place Trim Kit in a safe location.
2.Unplug the microwave’s electrical plug. Remove the microwave from the cabinetry. Place microwave on a secure work area.
3.To remove the metal wrapper (outer covering of the microwave) you will need to remove 11 screws. Nine of those screws are on the outer back edge of the unit - two of which are the safety screws which can be removed with a pair of needle nose pliers. The other two screws are on either side of the microwave. After removing all 11 screws lift the metal wrapper off from the top of the unit. Place the metal wrapper in a location out of your work area.
4.Inside the microwave, behind the button to open the microwave door, you will see two metal flanges with one hole each. Please inspect the holes of each flange to make sure they are free of burrs. File them off in necessary.
5.With the door to the microwave OPEN, place the pins of the Door Latch Release Bracket into the holes of each metal flange. To do this you will need to bend inward the metal flange closest to you to secure the pins. Make sure the Door Latch Release Bracket is flush with the wall of the microwave.
6.On the Door Latch Release Bracket (side flush with the microwave) locate the nylon stem. Across from the nylon stem will be a metal stem located on the wall of the microwave. Take your Glat headed screwdriver and bend the metal stem towards the nylon stem. The metal stem should be at a 5 degree angle right of center.
7.Place metal wrapper back onto unit, secure wrapper with the 11 screws, place microwave back into cabinetry (plug microwave into electrical outlet) and re-install Trim Kit around the microwave.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:26 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good job Illapah, a dremel with a cutting wheel will turn the star head into a screwdriver-friendly screw.

Here are two, one is no broken parts, the other with a broken latch.
If you epoxy the latch, it will be better than new. I backed my repair with a small brass electrical connector imbedded inside the epoxy.
http://tiny.cc/Microwav
http://tiny.cc/Epoxy590
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Thanks for the help, got it apart to find one of the cogs or tips was broke and is now drying with JB weld after fitting the piece together. Hopefully by morning I can put it back to use.
One just dosen't realize how much you use the micro untill it is broke down.
thanks again
Allen in MT
Old 02-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
You have joined the Apollo door club and as you can see from the response you are not alone
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Well I had my microwave out and the cog put back in place with epoxy, worked for a couple days, then it broke again and was put back together the 2nd time with jB Weld and was again good for a couple of days untill I went to get my oatmeal out and SNAP it went again.
Well the phone # that illipah mentioned in above post will get you to the right place where they now have a better built part that won't break, so my oatmeal will stay put untill I have a new part and hopefully it will be the last time I have to take micro out of the cupboard and all those little screws to get the replacement part in and hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm.
Thanks for all the great wealth of info you folks provide. I'm confident that if there is ever a problem with our monties, someone here will have the solution.
Now its off to the Rv store to get the brass valve for the top of my water heater ans hopefully fix yet another problem.
Allen in MT
Old 03-02-2009, 01:37 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sorry the repair didn't work for you, glad you are getting the new part.
Sometimes we have to use a small pipe wrench and a cheater on the brass valve. If you use Teflon tape, keep it away from the end of the threads, so it won't get into the valve.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote