Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2008, 02:08 AM   #1
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
CB Installation

I think I alsmost know where to mount the antennas. My question is how do you route the coax into the truck and up to the radio. In my 2008 F350, there is no great place to mount the radio either so am thinking about laying it on the dash,
TIA!

PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:58 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Mike,
I'm not sure where you are mounting your antenna, but there are a few options for th ecoax. You can come through the firewall where your present antenna comes through. You may need to take a knife (razor) and make a slit. There are also rubber plugs around a lot of the wiring that comes through the firewall. You could also come up through one of the rubber plugs in the floor, just cut a small X in the rubber plug and push the coax through. I have never had a problem with grime or water ever coming up through one of those, but you could RTV it if it gives you a better piece of mind. If you are doing the MAGNETIC trick with the antenna you can run it down the channel behind one of the weather strips and into the compartment along and under the moulding. Really, it is your imagination as to how you want to run the coax.

Just be careful when you run it next to existing wires. You could end up with a problem of interference to the computer module. I always try to use double shielded coax and keep the coax away from the computer module. If I remember my math, the coax should be (468 divided by the frequency in MHZ times .5) John Kohl can help out there some more. that will give you a wave length and keep the SWR down. (Or any multiple thereof)

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:53 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
For the antenna, I got a heavy piece of metal, bent it 90* and mounted it in the left front hole of the truck bed designed for a stake. Routed the wire out the bottom of the stake hole and drilled a small hole through the back of the cab. Then routed the wire under the floor/plastic sill cover to the front.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:17 AM   #4
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
It is not the "cleanest" but I route my coax down from the antenna and up under the rubber strip on the floor of the back door. (F250 Crew cab) Then under the molding strips to the front door, driver side and under the seat. I have mounted the radio between the driver seat on the console. I use industrial velcro for the mount of the radio/console. It is out of the way and easily accessed for controls. I made a mounting bracket for the antenna and mounted it on the lip of the bed between the bed and the rear window.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote