Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Input please on our F550

I'm looking for your honest input here. Please check out this Topic on our F550 For Sale! Several of you have looked at my ad for our 2004 F-550. We need to sell it...or at least we think we need to.

We want to know what to do to create interest -- to sell it.

So, with all things considered, price, MPG, etc., etc., I would really really appreciate input from people I trust to know about these things.

Please, please.
and
Thank you, thank you
and huge hugs, in advance!
Gail

larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Is that 13-15 MPG while towing or running solo?

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
that would be without towing. thank you so much for asking!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gail, I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking whether you should sell it or keep it? Give up rv'ing? Sorry if I'm being dense (it comes natural for me).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Hi Steve!
You're not being dense -- I wasn't clear. I'll edit the original post.

I want to know why it hasn't sold yet. Price, condition, mileage, to big, itsa ford -- any input so Larry and I can discuss what we're going to do.

We never really even began our journey, Steve -- with the exception of moving into our 3400 -- and thank you.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Gail & Larry, You have a very nice looking rig. I do know that many will not tow without a 4X4, but am sure many will. Perhaps this might be part of the problem, just guessing though.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
The one thing is the price of diesel fuel, I have a F-350 listed $3000.00 less than blue book value and have had 1 call in 5 weeks of it being the the auto trader magazine, people are watching what they are spending money on, it is probly not the price or the condition it is more of an economy thing. Some where there is someone out there looking for that truck they juus have not found you yet. Good luck, Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
What about trying to sell it to Car Max? I don't know if they go with vehicles that large, but they advertise that they'll buy your vehicle. I saw today that GM is looking at switching workers from trucks to cars. New trucks aren't selling and used ones probably aren't either. It probably follows with price vs. time on market. There is a price at which you could sell it in a day and a price it may take months. It all depends upon your bottom line vs how soon you need to get rid of it. If you look at the distribution of vehicles of MOC owners, very few are larger than 3500's. Sorry you're selling and hope it all works out.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My guess matches Roman's and Ron's. It's just a matter of bad timing. On the other hand, I remember our realtor, a good friend, telling us any house will sell if the price is right. I would think that would apply to a truck, too. That may mean a major price drop, but it would sell if the price is right. Whether you want to take that kind of smash or sit it out until the economy is better is a decision you'll have to make for yourselves. There are probably a lot of potential buyers sitting still waiting to see what happens with diesel prices and the economy before committing to a purchase. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:18 PM   #10
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I was trying to verify your price today, like KBB or NADA or something, and found that there was nothing I could use as a beginning guide. My wife and I have actually talked about trading up from a F350 to a 450 or 550. I'm not sure how you overcome that issue.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:13 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gail, Mike's post got me to thinking. I just did a quick google on "2004 F550" and up came some listings. I didn't take the time to compare to yours but this approach might get you some insights.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:53 AM   #12
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
I'm appreciating all this great input. I've google this also and what I've found is the market is all over the place, which has helped to confuse me.

My emotions are like the market -- all over the place. (Breathe)

Like Mike, I was not able to locate a search engine for anything bigger than the 350 -- so I contacted the Ford dealer where we originally purchased the truck. Plus, the person who helped us build the truck would have a better understanding of the tow body than most. Through their computer program were were able to come up with a price range like KBB or that other big one on the internet.

I went to CarMax in San Diego. The 550 is consider "industrial", so they were not interested. And I will be going to Ford and speaking with the higher-up's, letting them know our situation. I've notice that Ford has acted with great compassion with others. So I am opening every door that I can think of.

But like you are saying (and validating my thoughts) the fuel prices and our uncertain economy is really changing the picture of things --
for all of us. Not bad, just different.

I agree with what all of you have said. Roman, with dropping your price below KBB -- What I did was go with the lower end price that the dealer gave me for the truck plus cut the price in half of or even a little less than what we paid for the bed. And we are certainly willing to negotiate.

Wouldn't it be grand if there was a website showing actual current sold prices, as in real estate!?!

I am hoping/wanting/needing to come out in the end with enough cash to purchase a vehicle like a Honda CRV maybe a couple of years old. Better fuel economy, no payments, good track record, and Larry could still ride comfortably for his treatments and numerous other medical appointments (please love yourselves enough to get your colonoscopies).
Old 05-30-2008, 06:10 AM   #13
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Larry - Gail - Our heart goes out to you!!!!!! Life has a terrible way to turning things around, we are sorry your dreams have been shattered!!!!!!! I can see the desperation in the posts, and wish a lottery ticket with your name on it landed on your doorstep, along with a complete recovery for Larry!!!!
I have a few thoughts that you might look into. www.PPImotorhomes.com This a very LARGE RV CONSIGNMENT company in Houston, Texas. You have a beautiful rig and I am sure with there sales, someone would be interested in obtaining your wonderful Ford Tow Vehicle... It is a consignment company, but from my research, they have a great record of turning product. Their sales are not just limited to the States, but do sell motorhomes, 5thwheels to overseas buyer......If they don't take Tow Vehicles by themselves prehaps a saleman could direct buys who need a great tow vehicle your direction with a little motivation.

Second thought. Prehaps some or our Canadian Members could kick in here. The US dollar is down, but Euro Dollar is High. Canadian's are really happy and making a lot of purchases here in the state's because of this. Maybe there is something RV outfit in Canada, that could also help you with this sale, I sure wish I knew of someone up there, I could direct you too. I don't know if you have looked at advertising in the rear portion of the Good Sams monthly magazine the "Highway's", that way anyone thinking of upgrading to a newer larger Tow Vehicle would have first crack at your Ford 550.

Third Idea (hope I am not boring you) You might get your telephone book out and check out local small trucking company's. I have one close by and I was told by the manager that his company has purchase FOUR Dodge Cummins trucks,TWO FORD AND ONE CHEV from disgruntled local RV'ers. He volunteered that most were well below blue book as the folk's were really trying to JUST SELL THEM and get out from under.. The manager said that many small trucking company's will be taking advantage and getting newer trucks at bargain prices.. So maybe one of these Idea's will give you some other avenue's to at least look at
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:03 AM   #14
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Please -- NONE of you are boring me.

Dear Hemlockusa -- You've given me some wonderful suggestions. I will follow up on each and every one of them. Thank you so very much!
Old 05-30-2008, 08:38 AM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Have considered EBay?

Check there to see what the prices are for similar trucks.

In fact, I sold my last TV on EBay.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #16
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Gail - I have one other Idea, actually OldTurbo gave it to me the other day. There is a company out of Elkhart, Ind. That is set up for old senior drivers to make a buck or two towing RV's to dealerships from Elkhart, Ind. www.classic-transportinc.com
I am sure you have your unit priced low, and I am sure that some of those old drivers are looking to up grade from their old trucks. It probably wouldn't hurt to go to the website and get their number. Call them and talk to the lady. I think a Husband and Wife team run that business. Give it a try..
Montana Family is always with you!!!!!!!!! John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #17
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Hi John --
And I am so grateful for my Montana family, to be sure! Thank you ALL for being 'here' with me (us).
I have considered eBay and the thought is still with me, good idea.
And will look into John's suggestions pronto.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #18
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Looking at the posts and suggestions,which are good ones. I think you have to look as this is a "speciality vehicle", and you have to find the right buyer, not everyone will see it as a good buy, just the ones looking for that typeof vehicle you may want to look at that customer. Not just the average truck lot. Trailer life has a section, as well as good sam. I see a lot of horse trailers being by larger trucks.
Good luck
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:32 PM   #19
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I sold a diesel pusher online and a guy flew in from Calf. to Florida to buy it. Sold it on RVonline. You might see if they have a truck section.
Never thought someone from that far away would buy my RV but I had offers from 7 states.
You just never know.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:37 AM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
PPLMOTORHOMES is another large consignment place in Houston.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote