Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Hot water heater

Hi all,
All of a sudden our hot water heater won't run on propane, when we flip the switch to run it on gas, all it does is click, tries to start. A neighbor looked at it and said it is sparking.
Any ideas? We just had this new one installed March 07 !!!
And just our luck, the managers here said we (entire park ) would be without electric for 2-3 days while they install a new power station in the park...... I can't believe they could do that for that long???
A lot of old trailers here and there are a lot of elderly in the park too.
Anyway....HELP !!!!
Thanks, Chris

Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You say you have a new one installed March 07. Did you use it on propane since it was installed. You might loosen the propane line and see if it is plugged.
Good luck,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
If you had it installed in March of this year isn't it still under warranty? I'd give them a call ASAP and have them take care of it. I hope it doesn't get too cold wherever you are. Do you have a generator?

Good luck and let us know what happens.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Have you ran the burners on your stove to make sure gas is through the lines back to the stove? If you have air in the line it may help to get gas back there. I would also hit the reset button on the outside of the trailer.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Have you tryed fliping the electric switch on the Hot Water Tank to off. I can not run mine on propane if that switch is on.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:49 AM   #6
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rogue

Have you tryed fliping the electric switch on the Hot Water Tank to off. I can not run mine on propane if that switch is on.
Hi,
Thanks all for the suggestions,hubby went out and "banged" on the heater and must of dislodged something in the propane line. All is well now !!! We let it run on gas most of the afternoon and eve. Thanks again. You all are Grrrreat !
Chris
PS I emailed Suburban with the problem and now am curious as to when they get back to me, they have been good in the past.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:27 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Can't beat the 'Bigger hammer theory' except for the; 'Let it rest a bit theory.' I use both of them.
Glad it's going.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:49 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahahhaahaha - I use that method all the time!

I learned it from Emmitt in is Fix-It-Shop on Mayberry RFD years ago. That combined with a little under the breath statement of what you think, generally starting with "piece-of-..." works for me the majority of the time.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Hi all,
Suburban got back to me the first thing this am, they suggested I call our propane company and have them take a look, before having to get someone out and pay them. I e-mailed them back and thanked them for the speedy response, great customer service there. We've had the water heater replaced before on the manufacture's warrany and they were great!
Nice to know there are company's that stand behind their product.
Chris
Old 11-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
They do stand behind their product. When I had trouble with mine they were more than helpful getting the situation resolved.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote