Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
False wall behind TV in late 2006 3400RL

Anyone know why there is a false wall about 6" in from the outer edge of the Entertainment Slideout. Is there anything behind there. Is this intended to deaden sound or something? I'd like to run a cable into that area but I don't know what is behind there beside dead air?

Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dean
We just had our fireplace totally out and there is indeed a false wall back there. I could see a lot of wires and dirt. The wires were laying on the floor so I bet you could run a cable.
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dean, I am having my entire entertainment system changed out with HD stuff. I pulled the fireplace today, had to buy some square tipped attachments for my screwdrivers, and was surprised to see this false wall also. I was hoping to mount a sturdy wall bracket to this wall but no way. There doesn't seem to be anything behind it but wiring and cable, although I can't see it all......Hope this helps in some small way.....

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
FYI:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...0&SearchTerms=,
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:05 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Michael, That is exactly what I am doing in my front room. I found an HP 32" TV to fit there and am mounting it on an articulating arm so it can be turned and pulled out for access behind it.

How do you secure the TV when towing????? I thought about some straps to go over front to hold it in. I just don't want it to look "Commercial".....

Thanks Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:41 AM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
It doesn't move, even though it is on drawer slides.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dean, if you find out what's behind that wall, would you let us know? Likewise if someone else knows or finds out. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
it is just a plenum for wire runs.. Same as where the thermostat is on the 3400..that wall is hollow and full of wires..look under the cabinets around the hot water tank and you will see then running up, down and all over. Noted that on a factory tour.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Rich. I would imagine if they're loose in there then it wouldn't hurt to drill (behind the tv, that is) into that wall and run some cable as Dean is wanting to do.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #10
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Thanks Rich,

My original need to know was related to running coaxial cable from where the phone jack was (now coaxial local TV connection) to the HDTV. If I drill a hole into the plenum from the computer desk then I have to drill another hole in the false wall to get to the HDTV. My current thinking is to just drill a hole further forward in front of the false wall and then not have to drill two holes and maybe it will also be easier to feed wires back and forth. But maybe there is a way to sneak some cables under the desk top behind the top drawer. Maybe changing the phone jack to a TV jack isn't the best solution for the cabling. Originally I thought is was a good way to get a second coaxial cable into the RV w/o having to drill a new hole in the exterior wall. Now that I know there is a dead space behind the outer wall behind the TV, maybe the way to do this right is to drill through the outer wall into the dead space behind the TV. Or see how hard it would be to run a 2nd coaxial cable all the way from the convenience center where the other coaxial cable connection is. Hmmmmm. I now also have a multimedia computer on the computer desk that I wanted to hook up to the Quest and HDTV. This is getting more complex. Maybe too complex.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:21 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would still be very cautious...You never know where the skilled workman for that day on your unit decided to run the wires or where he secured them if he secured them???
We do not have the fireplace and there is one of those brown plastic access panels that lets you see what is behind the false wall.. I would guess it is there or is being used for fireplace stuff??
Old 11-11-2007, 04:55 AM   #12
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Dean, I ran some wiring for an outlet under the desk to the outlet behind my fireplace. Drilled a hole behind the desk draw and one through the false wall. I just looked through the access hole that was already there and made sure I was not going to hit any other wires. Now I have a way to plug in my computer stuff without a mess of cables on the desk. Oh, I also drilled a hole in the top of the desk in the back where the desk outlet is to run my cables down through.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:30 AM   #13
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Rich, I drilled two 2 1/2" holes in the desk top, one on the left rear corner below the AC outlet and then another in the right rear corner next to the outer wall and the desk drawers. Put beige plastic grommets in them with slotted wire covers. Then ran a surge protecting power strip through the left hole so I can run all the power cables underneath the desk top. The right hole (directly above the rear of the multi-media computer) is handy for some of the computer wiring and computer's R & L speakers and sub woofer. I have a 22" monitor which takes up allot of room. Then over the drawers is where I have my Canon MP600 printer which is kind of big by itself. The desk is rather full but fortunately doesn't feel all that crowded. I may eventually put a shelf under the desk top in the rear to get rid of all the cable clutter on the floor under the desk. Haven't decide yet where I'm going to drill a hole in the wall between the computer desk and behind the TV/fireplace. Procrastinating I think. :-)
Old 11-11-2007, 07:15 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dean...we think alike...I did the same thing with the holes in the desk and converted the phone jack to a cable input jack for my external aircard antenna when needed. I am also installing a shelf under the desk for storage . The printer and scanner does fit on the desk on shelves.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:29 AM   #15
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Rich,

What kind of cable connection did you make between the outside connection and the inside one? When we were in the dealer, for our what seems like the 100th warranty repair visit, the tech made me a short coxial cable to get from the outside connector to the inside one. Unfortunately, he made it a tad too long and was hard to curl up inside the hole but was able to do so with some convincing. Now that we are AZ and when I tried to use it, it didn't work. Turns out it was a bum cable as the conductor on one end was broken off. Temporarily I have removed the inside connector and attached the cable, to the HDTV, to the back side of the outside connector. Has to be fixed some day. But I need to figure out how to make or get made the right length very short cable. Haven't seeen anything that could be store bought so far. How did you handle this little challenge?
Old 11-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #16
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Try going to your local Dish or DirecTV store. They may make you a cable.

If not, you can get the tool and connectors at Home Depot or Lowes. If you in Phoenix, I'll make you one.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #17
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Michael,

Thanks for the offer. Not in Phoenix but in Apache Junction. I'll check the stores to see if the tool is reasonably priced. This isn't the first time I've needed to make my own coax cable. Might as well bite the bullet.