Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2007, 07:44 PM   #1
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Vacation proofing the monte; away for 2 weeks

Hey all. I am leaving the Monte for two weeks to go home to MT for vacation. I will definitely empty the black tank and turn off the fresh water. Any other things I should do to "vacation proof" the fifth wheel? Input appreciated.
Thanks a bunch,
tara

txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Will you still be connected to 30 or 50 amp electricity?

If you won't have shore power available, clean out the fridge, turn it off and defrost it, then let it dry with the doors open. Before you go, fill it up with crumpled up newspaper pages. Leave it open, if you can. Last, disconnect the battery(ies). If you don't, they will discharge in a couple of days unless you can keep them on a trickle charger.

With or without shore power available for the whole time, I would bring in the slides. If you aren't in a secure place, I would get a lock for the kingpin. Turn off the propane. Shut off the electrical water heater.

Even if it was still available, I think it would be safer to disconnect from shore power and disconnect the batteries. If the shore power should fail, and you had food in the fridge, you would have a heck of a mess to clean up on return.

We did just that for a 5 week "vacation from vacation" in April/May.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Leaving the fridge on ? May want some one to look in every once and a while. just to make sure it doesn't trip a breaker or something.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:07 AM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We leave ours for two weeks at a time turn off water we do not turn off propane if power loss ref. on auto so it will switch to propane we leave slides out for that short period of time
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
If you lose your shore power and the fridge switches over to propane, it will last only a few days. The batteries in the Monty will give out after a relatively short time if they aren't recharged. DC current draws include the flashlight recharger, the propane leak detector, plus, of course, the DC power for the fridge. The fridge control board is DC powered, plus the igniter for the propane part of it. Also, if you leave the propane water heater on, that control board is also powered by DC. That is why I earlier suggested disconnecting shore power and also the batteries.

There are a few Forum threads a while ago about losing battery power after just a few days.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahahaha - Tara, you're "vacation" is the opposite of ours. We start up stuff in the Monty for vacation and shut things down when vacation is over . Leaving the Monty abandon for long lengths of time is a routine for us.

Would recommend not relying on the refrigerator if you can avoid it. Take the stuff with you and shut down your power and LP.

Would think about re-sweetening the black tank by adding a shot of chemical and a few gallons of water. That will eliminate that "party boat" smell when you get back and open it up for the first time after being in that heat.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote