Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2005, 10:03 AM   #1
Montana_2893
Established Member

M.O.C. #2893
New Purchaser questions

Hello

My wife and I are considering the purchase of our first RV. We are looking at the 3400RL. I was wondering if any owners of this model would comment on their likes and dislikes.

The dealer I spoke with quoted me a price of 45.7K (MSRP 57.7K). The options included are:

Decor Montana 05 Rosewood
Moving to Montana package
Value package
Artic insulation package
Fireplace
Ceiling Fan
Fantastic vent-Kitchen
Hydraulic selector valves
Washer Dryer prep
Exterior shower
King Bed
High back desk chair
End table and lamp
Free standing dinette and 4 chairs
Hide a bed sofa
Rivia Seal.

How does the pricing seem to you?

We plan on placing this Rv in a seasonal park and will be using in the winter as we plan on using this year round as a fishing/hunting camp. Should I consider getting the double pane windows to help with condensation in the cold weather? Also what other options should I consider?

Is the a place I can find the names of other Montana dealers in my area?

Thanks for your help.

Montana_2893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
PittsNhRv this sounds like a pretty good deal. We have all the options except for the fireplace ( we wanted the extra storage) and the thermal pain windows. My dealer said the extra costs was not really worth it. I can say that we have been in some low teen temps and the coach has been very pleasant. If we were to use it full time, we could cover the windows with some of the thermal wraps. At any rate, that is close to what we paid, maybe a little higher. We were second time customers with dealer, so we may have gotten a better deal. We really like ours and am sure you will like yours too.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good Sam's RV Search shows four advertised. The price range is from 46K to 55K. The ads are not clear on the outfitting. Holiday World, the Houston Montana dealer, doesn't have any but others are about in that price range. You could always offer less and see what reaction you get.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:26 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The 3400RL is one of our most favorite models. (The other of us likes the 3500 and both of us like our current 3295.)

To find Montana dealers, arm yourself with a few zip codes and go to www.keystone-montana.com and you should find the dealer locator. I think it's on the Customer Service page if I recall. Put in the various zip codes to find the Montana dealer nearest that area code. It will demand you put in a street address but it doesn't validate the address. I just use 123 n. main every time. I personally think this dealer locator could be seriously improved. As a former IS/IT person when I see this kind of implementation I just think it's a good thing they didn't work for me. Or they wouldn't have long. Anyhow, you can find dealer locations there. (sorry for the soapbox)

I'm not sure how much the dual pane windows will help with condensation (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I think they'll more by keeping hot and cold weather extremes out better than the standard windows. I hear you may not have windows that will open if you have the dual panes. Anybody know for sure?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
PittsNhRv -

We have a 2005 3400RL and love it. We purchased ours in August. We have about the same options. The floorplan has been very conducive to us. Usually its just Terrie and I but occasionally we have some of our kids along. We have slept as many as six and during the labor day weekend ten of us were watching a movie. Lots of room, good value for the money and lots of new friends (MOC). Who could ask for more? If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to e-mail me.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:19 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the 3400RL and just love it... I factory ordered mine and had everything put on it except four options. I did not get the high gloss exterior, generator prep, dual pane windows, and slide awnings. I believe Steve is correct about not being able to have windows that open if you opt for the dual pane. I think Sue has them on her 3400RL, might want to send her a private message and find out for sure. My coach is mainly used as a lake cabin and spends 6 months at the lake with the exception of a few road trips a year. I have been 100% happy with this floor plan and would buy the same one again if I had to replace it for some reason. As for the price, it is in line with what I paid for mine, MSRP on my coach was $59,968.00 and picked it up for $45,000.00 I think the main thing is that you are happy with the deal when all is said and done. Good luck on your decision, I dont think you would have any doubts with the 3400RL.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:21 AM   #7
Montana_2893
Established Member

M.O.C. #2893
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will go back and try to work a deal.

One more question...should I consider getting the central vac system ( or just use a regular vac) ? Are slide out toppers something I should consider considering I will be using it as a seasonal camp.

Thank you
Montana_2893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:38 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We've wondered if the awning toppers might help during a heavy rain to discourage any leaks. We have them as we travel with our Montana and haven't had any leaks. Just a thought.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:34 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the central vac and would not order another coach without it. The little baby works great. Gets all the way to the closet and all around the living room. I do not have the slide toppers and did not get them due to the coach next to me has them and I hear them every night when the wind is blowing "flapping" in the wind. His coach is not a Montana but still same principal. I leave my slides out all summer and just have to remember to go up and bring the broom to make sure nothing is on top of the slides. Have not had any trouble with leaks yet(knock on wood) and do not really see a reason for one to start any time soon.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:25 AM   #10
klee1516

M.O.C. #2372
We just picked up our '05 3400RL yesterday, so haven't had a chance to use it although I'm so excited I know we'll be out there first chance. Ours does have the dual pane windows and in the bedroom, the large window over the dresser is an emergency exit & doesn't open. That leaves only the small window beside the bed that opens. The other window in the LR area that is an emergency window does have a small slide that opens (I hope I'm remembering correctly-it was a lot to take in). Ours has the same options that you mentioned except that we didn't get the desk chair. We also had installed an extra Fantastic Fan in bedroom, slide awnings, coffee table, high gloss exterior, prep for 2nd air conditioner in bedroom and the central vac. We paid about 45,000.
klee1516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:12 AM   #11
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We are big fans of the slide toppers. In Southeast Texas, we spend a lot of time in tree-covered parks. The slide awnings are a huge help in reducing tree "stuff" from the slide tops. A few folks have had small issues with theirs, like cracks or uneven rolling. The only issue that we've found, to date, with ours is the noise they make in heavy winds. The first time we heard them flapping (and the "flapping" is not nearly as severe as a regular awning in a light wind!), we though someone was fooling around with one of our outside compartments. After a quick investigation by me and my friends Smith and Wesson, I noticed that the noises were coming from the various awninngs and vent covers. Now that we know what we're hearing, we hardly notice! Again, couldn't recommend them more highly!!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:30 AM   #12
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I'm not sure how much the dual pane windows will help with condensation (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I think they'll more by keeping hot and cold weather extremes out better than the standard windows. I hear you may not have windows that will open if you have the dual panes. Anybody know for sure?
If you go with the dual pane windows, and unless the 2005 are different than the 2004, your big window in your bedroom will NOT have a screen, unless your sister and brother in law make one for you . I didn't order mine but that is one point to consider.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:32 AM   #13
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky
I believe Steve is correct about not being able to have windows that open if you opt for the dual pane. I think Sue has them on her 3400RL, might want to send her a private message and find out for sure.
Montana Sky, you are correct???? I have the dual pane windows. I can open all of them, but the window in the bedroom does NOT have a screen and that was a shocker for us as we love fresh air. I just responded to a post from Steve about this very topic.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:34 AM   #14
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PittsNhRv

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will go back and try to work a deal.

One more question...should I consider getting the central vac system ( or just use a regular vac) ? Are slide out toppers something I should consider considering I will be using it as a seasonal camp.

Thank you
I LOVE the central vacum, wouldn't be without it now. As far as the slide toppers go, even if you leave it sit you should bring in the slides weekly to keep them lubed. The toppers will keep all the elements off the slides. If you don't have the toppers when you bring in the slides you may bring in the elements with it. (pine needles, bugs, water, etc)
Old 01-19-2005, 09:13 AM   #15
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We also love our 3400! The slide toppers and central vac are very nice features. Being an idle fellow I prefer the toppers to climbing around with a broom! As our unit is in storage (waiting for decent weather) the selector units for taking the slides in and out is very useful.

This is the unit that screamed out to us at the rally at Pla-Mor and we just fell in love with it.

BTW Jeff Rank lived up to his promise and came through with his special bonus for rally attendees - Certificate # 1 has been redeemed in full!
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:49 AM   #16
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Slide toppers can flap in the wind, (always at 3am)... they also can freeze up in the out position... (nasty)...or if they get wet freeze in the in position ...(really really nasty)....and pigeons build nests under them if parked for extended periods.

There are a few reasons why I'm not a big fan of toppers... other folks love them...but probably don't travel in and out of a Canadian winter like we do, or stay set up all summer.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:40 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In four years with toppers we've never had a problem with them freezing up, whether in or out. We have moved our slides when there's ice on the toppers, when there's freezing rain and/or sleet, with 8 inches of snow on them and in hot and in cold and never once did they malfunction. I have had ice come crashing off them as the slide and topper retract but never freeze up. We've had slide toppers since January, 2001. If water gets into the mechanism that would keep them from properly rolling in our out, then there's a problem with the sealing of the mechanism. I can't think of any other way they'd freeze up. But I've been wrong before.

They will occasionally flap in the wind but it's never kept us awake nor awakened us. But you can hear them a little in a gusty wind.

We've never had birds nest under ours and have stayed in one place for 2 1/2 months, max. But I can see where that can happen. We did have a bird try to get into our dryer vent when one of the flaps stuck open but he didn't get in.

We do travel in and out of winter -- not to Canada but to Kansas City for Nov/Dec, out in January. Plenty of ice and snow although not like Canada. We even got caught in an overnight surprise snowstorm in Salisaw, OK, and had no problem bringing in the slides.

While there are negatives (flapping in the wind a little) I personally feel their value is far far above their cost, at least for us. But remember that's just my opinion and nobody else has to agree.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:48 PM   #18
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Terrie and I both would vote for the Central Vac and slide toppers on any new 5er. The Central Vac works well and saves space. I agree with Steve on the toppers. I don't know, but someone else questioned whether they help avoid slide leaks. I would think they would have to help. Just my two cents worth (that's about three cents Canadian, right?)
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:08 PM   #19
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve, have you had that Montana to the Rio Grande Valley yet??? Where wind is a kind word for that mean stuff ???

In our limited travels and time in the Montana, that is the only place I can say the slide toppers made enough noise to bother us. After about 36 hours of constant cracking and snapping it can get on your nerves.

That said, we are still hoping to get back to the Rio Grande this year, wind or no!

AND: We love our slide toppers. Had the ice, 1.5 inches, come crashing down when we were in Huntsville Alabama last January. What a noise that makes, I think you will remember me writing that Al thought I blew the windows out of the unit! Funny now, was NOT then!

Will let you know if we have any trouble opening them after all this snow and rain and freezing drizzle we have had over the last several weeks, IF we get to open them and pack and get out of Dodge (Tipton). I don't expect any trouble tho.

Have not had the bird building experience yet, but, would not surprise me, some of those little starlings can be determined!

I vote for slide toppers! Don't have the central vac, sounds nice tho!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:07 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, we've not been to the Rio Grande Valley but have been many other places with wind. Kansas, where we used to live, is the 'land of the perpetual wind'. In fact, I think Garden City (not where we lived), KS, is the place with the most "windy" days per year of anywhere in the U.S. I don't know the criteria for windy. In any case, we've endured thunderstorms with wind and gusts that rocked our rig enough to make me wonder if we were lifting off the landing gear. In those situations the toppers do flap and you do hear them but we were able to get to sleep, although at times we'd look at each other and go "geez" or something similar to that and less publishable. In any case, I consider this something I can live with and a tradeoff for the positives of the toppers. In Virginia our patio awning ended up on the roof but the toppers endured it just fine. We were not home when that happened so can't tell you how much they flapped around.

We don't have the central vac but would consider it seriously if we were buying another FW. And we may someday consider adding one aftermarket. I think it would be a terrific option. I have yet to hear anyone complain about them.