Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
JudeM
Established Member

M.O.C. #9979
The Under 60 Crowd

We are hitting our 7th year on the road now and really haven't met many people in our own age group. Not to say that we haven't made some amazingly wonderful friends, we would just be interested to know if there were more full-timer or long-timer snowbirds out there? We mainly head to southern AZ and CA with some long stops in Nevada too. I realize this probably aren't the prime destinations for the not-yet-retired, but you never know. Just thought I would put this out there and see who's around!

JudeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #2
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I'm 45 and my wife is 50 something (she won't tell anybody). We've been on the road for 2 years now. Mostly in the greater SoCal area due to family and work commitments. I'm in IT and can work anywhere I have an internet connection but with a merger shortly after we went full time I've been required to be in the office a bit more than expected. We seldom meet retired folks under 60. Mostly the younger folks are "migrant" workers from the middle of the country working on long term projects (road work, power lines etc). Our best friends in our home park are in their late 60s and early 70s. We see them every month or two for a couple weeks. The fun part is most of the people are as old as my parents so I tend to take on the role of surrogate son. They joke about my age and I get to give it back. All in good fun. I help anywhere I can since my back doesn't yet have as many years on it. Two of our neighbors are recent widows so again I step up and assist where needed so they can continue a lifestyle they love. Important lesson learned: We men tend to do all the RV maintenance leaving our wives in a bit of a predicament if something happens to us. One of my neighbors had never dumped her tanks before her husband passed and she'd been fulltiming for over 10 years. In the last year I've been trying to involve my wife in all parts of the lifestyle so she can make her own decision to continue on or pack it in and go back to a stick and brick. I don't want her forced out due to lack of knowledge or abilities.

It's weird how I've adjusted to the different parts of my life. On the road I tend to seek out older folks who I may have more in common with in the RV lifestyle (plus we don't drink and the younger folks, on average, seem to be a bit more focused on imbibing more than I like). Yet, when we circle back close to my office I seek out my own age group and younger since I'm focused on work etc.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Most folks we meet that are fulltimers are 60+ and some of them are pretty "spry" BUT what's up with most of them going to bed at 8-9:00 at night???? I am just getting started at that time at night what a bunch of lightweights I always tell them ya know you are retired right?? and you do not have to wake up at 5AM anymore.....RELAX
Old 11-28-2015, 12:11 AM   #4
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
If you are lucky, someday you will be over 60
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:02 AM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I am Knock'in on 60 now and my wife is 60 and we are still Party'in like it's 1999
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by K0LCB

If you are lucky, someday you will be over 60
Old 11-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I think you are stuck with us Jude
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:09 AM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
By the look of your profile you are blazing a trail of youthful full-timers and good on you!! I have just turned the 60 clock and Maureen will follow next year and we hope to become long-timers in southern AZ(5+ months) next year.

Living on the cold prairies and with a maximum stay in the US of 6 months it is difficult for most Canadians to full time in their rv without spending a month or so of quite cold temps in Canada either before or after the 6 month stay in the US. As you know in Canada the number of rv parks open more than 5 months(May 1 to Sept 30) are few and far between.

Perhaps we will cross paths next year, ENJOY!

2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I have seen a couple of young working folks with kids doing the full time thing. BUT most of the younger crowd are the heavy drinking, build campfires on the grass, toss beer bottles and cans around crowd. This is what will limit how long we fulltime. John
Old 11-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
That's why I bought into a couple of membership only resorts that have hundreds of locations in nice resorts all over the country and you get ZERO of that B.S.,when you become a Fulltimer I highly recommend them and 99% of the time all you neighbors are nice and respectful of each other I have had way too many bad experiences in state parks and public parks and got sick of it although I still stay in some nice Public resorts from time to time that I know are quiet and well run
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

I have seen a couple of young working folks with kids doing the full time thing. BUT most of the younger crowd are the heavy drinking, build campfires on the grass, toss beer bottles and cans around crowd. This is what will limit how long we fulltime. John
Old 11-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #10
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I am 55 for eight more weeks and my wife is 53. I am retired and wife still works, she meets me in locations around the Country. We don't full time, but have put over 27,000 miles under the Montana. We meet lots of younger folks. Many family's on the road. Been surprised that so many people home school kids and live on the road. Many are tele workers, can live anywhere. RVs are an alternative to brick and mortar and I believe getting more popular. I always looking to meet up with new friends. If your in Northern Ca look us up! We stopped building fires on grass and tossing beer bottle two years ago. I feel all grown up now !
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:06 AM   #11
NRA-Girl
Established Member

M.O.C. #17410
Quote:

BUT most of the younger crowd are the heavy drinking, build campfires on the grass, toss beer bottles and cans around crowd.
Hmmm I think toxic chemicals might be leaching from those Chinese Tires.
One Goodyear Tire at a Time.
NRA-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:05 AM   #12
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
We are in our late 40's and i'm working full time in Naples, Florida for a medical company but we full time in ours for the last 2 years and so far are liking it. of course there are things we or i should say I miss. like my garage but my cargo trailer works well for that.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #13
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
We have been full timing since the first of September and loving it. I am 47 and DW is 51. I work full time for MCD Innovations in McKinney, Tx and she helps out here in the park. As of right now we have no plans of going back into a S&B and hopefully we will be closing on the sale of ours in just a couple of weeks. We absolutely love the downsized lifestyle! Tim
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #14
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
We are 54 and 55 respectively and I am not telling who the older one is but have been FT for 3 plus years and loving it.....as for early to bed and early to rise, you know what old Ben Franklin said, makes a man healthy and wise....

Old 12-02-2015, 06:43 AM   #15
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
I guess I should have listened to Ben Franklin way back when. At 60, I'm paying now for the shenanigans of my youth. I'm a rarity around this forum, it seems. I will actually have to work until probably 66 before retirement. Hopefully, the fire will still burn and the health will be good enough to do some full-timing.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:31 AM   #16
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Old Ben Was a burned out ole Party Pooper!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bigboomer

We are 54 and 55 respectively and I am not telling who the older one is but have been FT for 3 plus years and loving it.....as for early to bed and early to rise, you know what old Ben Franklin said, makes a man healthy and wise....

Old 12-02-2015, 08:53 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Your will get old, You will slow down, your knees and back will hurt. Your eyes and hearing will deteriorate, your hair will fall out. You will not be able to do many things you can do now. Some of the food that you now like will not like you.

All of the above has happened to us but we just slow down and keep on rv'ing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #18
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I retired at 50, DW was 49 10 years ago. We started fulltiming, in June it will be 3 years, and we have had a hard time finding peeps our age. But now I'm 60 and so far it's been awful because I fell off my bicycle and broke my left collarbone.

I feel worse some of these late 60 and 70 year olds around here, and I'm even impressed running into over 80 folks that are still fulltiming.

Let it happen when it will. It will catch up to you soon enough, and then hope you don't dwell on what should have happened. Enjoy your life and make plenty of new friends no matter what their age.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #19
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
JudeM,

You might want to checkout RVillage. Many of us MOC users (like me) use same handle. Check out my friends you will find many of us MOC members.

http://www.rvillage.com/home

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:36 AM   #20
FordMan1966
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15933
Quote:

I am offended by your comments. I am 48 the wife is 45 we have been camping together for 20 years and have owned 7 RVs. Now we have about $150,000 in the tow vehicle and 2015 Montana 3611RL Legacy combined. We are not and never have been beer drinking, bottle tossers, camp fire built in the grass and I do not even see that out of the younger crowd. Shame on You!
FordMan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote