Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2004, 08:57 AM   #1
Montana_1794
Established Member

M.O.C. #1794
Camprounds in South Dakota

Thought we might head to Mt. Rushmore and etc. What campground is recommend that would be centrally located for the sites of interest in this area? Would prefer to stay and one location and site see from there.

Thanks

Montana_1794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 09:36 AM   #2
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
the Spearfish city campground is very nice.
full hookups ( water, electric, sewer, and cable TV
also Custer state park has nice campgrounds.
Spearfish is at the north end of everything and custer is at the south end.
i havent stayed at any of the others so cant help you there.
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:28 PM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the posting. Nice info to have. Happy rving...
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 06:05 AM   #4
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
We stayed at Big Pine Campground in Custer South Dakota this ia a very nice campgroung, very clean and the owners were very friendly when we stayed 6 nights the 7th was free, not sure if they still do that if not it is a good sam park. One thing about Custer State Park is they have no hookups at least not when we checked depending on when you are planning your trip. You will also want to check out the carving of Crazy Horse, there is a lot to do and see. happy camping.
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 04:28 AM   #5
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
I bet you could stay at Rushmore Shadows for 4 days and 3 nights for free. You will have to listen to their Coast to Coast presentation, but there is no pressure to buy, just walk out afterwards. It takes about an hour of your time.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 05:03 AM   #6
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7

Lake Angostura State Park just south of Hot Springs is on the South edge of the Hills but it is nice, reasonable cost, has only a few full hook ups sites, but many water and electric, shade, and the nicest sandy beaches in the world, and is not as busy as some of the others. Also it is about as far from Sturgis as you can get which may be an advantage about now in Harley season.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:00 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Random Line,
I grew up boating on Angustora. Such a great place to be. I was supposed to be back that way in July, but due to family emergency I had to cancel the trip. I am looking at now going back in Sept. Have you ever been to or seen the new KOA in Rapid City? I think it is off I-90 at exit 61. I am usually in Rapid at least twice a year, but have always stayed with old friends and family. Now that I have the fifth wheel I would like to take it back with me, but after calling a few parks I found there are not many that can support a 38' coach and the truck as well. Thanks for the info...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 05:36 AM   #8
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Montana Sky,

We have to make a trip back to the Montana Dealer at Black Hawk in a week or so. If time allows we will pull off at exit 61/ I90 ant take a look at the place you mentioned there. If we learn anything interesting we will pass it on to you.

If you are ever in need of service on your rig while near Rapid City check out the Montana Dealer at Black Hawk. He now has about 6 or 8 slabs with electricity that he can park your unit on when the work is done. (If space is available) This will give you a chance to go sight seeing during the day and not worry about finding a campground late in the day. The price was $10 when we were there last. He also has a dump and fresh water avalable nearby.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:14 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Random Line,
Thanks for the info. I will have to write that down in my travel book to keep incase I do ever need to have service done while in Rapid City. I am still trying to adjust my September schedule trying to squeeze in a trip back. Hopefully luck will be on my side. Thanks again.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:15 PM   #10
Little Rascal
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #726
I'll have to agree with Montana Sky...the KOA is GORGEOUS! My father-in-law (who lives in Rapid City) said that you need to call well in advance for reservations. Make sure that you don't stay at the KOA that's actually in Rapid City though...I think it's the Mt Rushmore/Hill City KOA that you're looking for.
Little Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 11:26 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Little Rascal,
You are correct, the KOA in Hill City has some wonderful views. But after growing up in Rapid City I have done all the Black Hills and local tourism things to do. I am actually interested in the KOA in Rapid City, as I am going to be gathering with old friends and dont really want to get out into the hills. I talked with a friend back in Rapid the other day and he said the same thing, that the KOA by Mt. Rushmore is usually booked for the season before the season starts. Will let you know what I think if I ever get back there next month.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:24 AM   #12
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Montana Sky - We were thinking about you all week. Did the fires you were concerned about turn out to be much of an issue?
Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 02:09 AM   #13
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
WildBill

Just remembered there is a Wild Bill's Campground up there someplace too. Check your book.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:07 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gordon and Carol,
Thank you for the positive thoughts. The fires were approx. 8-10 miles south of the lake. The smoke was terrible, but we did catch a break over the weekend as we got three solid days of rain. That really helped the crews get a jump on the blaze and get them out. Glad the news reports made it seem closer than it really wash.. Did have to spend a day washing the ash off the roof. I was sure happy I had forgot to open the roof vents before I left last weekend. =) Since all is well I am still trying to get final details worked out for the trip back to Rapid City. Thanks again for the thoughts. Dave/
Old 08-17-2004, 04:40 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We stayed at Crooked Creek Resort at Hill City, SD. They take Passport America. It was an ok park except our full hookup pullthru site was very narrow. No way could I have put out the awning without hitting the neighbor's rig. Otherwise the park is a good location for seeing the sites.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 05:56 PM   #16
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
We stayed at the KOA in Rapid City and found it very nice. We had a premium site, cable, full hookups, cement patio, paved pull through and even a flower box with live flowers. And yes,, we watered them too.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 06:08 AM   #17
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
We stayed in Custer State Park just outside of Custer, SD - very nice and central. The Park has a nice driving loop with buffalo and wild burros. There was no power at the campsites, but very comfortable otherwise. Water is located in the camps.
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:42 AM   #18
w4nfr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #646
While in the Rapid City SD area, we like to stay at a new CG in Hermosa SD called "HEARTLAND RV PARK & CG." It is about 15 miles south of RC on HWY 79. They have all pull-thru sites, full hookups with phone at each site. We get the monthly rate while staying in the area. It is a good park for visiting Mt Rushmore, Keystone etc. They have a website. All the phones are local dialup to Rapid City.
w4nfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:38 PM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well since I will be in Rapid City on Monday for a quick 4 day visit to some old friends and family I am hoping to get a day or so to check out some of the rv parks in the area. This will be easy since I will not have my coach on this trip. Planning on attending the ralley next year and will going back through at least once if not more.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:35 AM   #20
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
We had reservations to do this but never got around to do it, we had to cancel due to timing. Anyone been there?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob & Donna

I bet you could stay at Rushmore Shadows for 4 days and 3 nights for free. You will have to listen to their Coast to Coast presentation, but there is no pressure to buy, just walk out afterwards. It takes about an hour of your time.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote