Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
Hawkpat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11612
Rear Stabilizers won't Retract

This morning I went to retract the rear stabililizers on our 2012 3400 using the remote. The only thing that happened was a slight twitching at what is the electronic component end. I also tried to retract using the main controls at the front of the trailer and same twitching.

I took the two screws out thinking I might see a place to manually connnect but obviously that didn't happen. I then put the assembly back in place and then no longer got even the twitching so I guess I've probably screwed something else up.

I looked at the opposite end of the stabilizer shaft and it didn't look like it would take a wrench but I did not look at the two hand cranks that came with the unit. Instead I panicked and came home from the nearby lake so I could ask on this forum. But surely that must be how to manually retract?

Thanks for any advice. Did I really screw it up by removing the electronic component and replacing it?

Hawkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
You didn't say what year and model unit you have. We need to know this so we can give you some answers to your problem. We have an older unit and only have the hand crank stabilizers on it so I can't answer your dilema but I'm sure there will be more along to give you an answer. IF you have a newer unit, within the last two years or so, I'd contact the dealer and this should be covered under the warranty. It cold be as simple as a fuse somewhere that has blown or it could be something more difficult, this is why we need to know the year and model of your unit! I'll be watching this thread to see what others come up with. Keep us informed on the situation!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:44 AM   #3
Hawkpat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11612
I noted that we have a 2102 Montana 3400. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Sorry-- haven't had my morning cup of coffee yet! I'd contact your dealer(if they are near) or a dealer near you if you purchased it from a dealer in another State or whatever, since it is a new unit and should be covered under the warranty yet! I'm sure someone will with more knowledge of a new unit will be along shortly!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:15 AM   #5
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
I do not have your model, but the design should be the same for the rear stabilizers...

In your storage compartment you should have two 4 foot cranks. One has a ~1/2 inch pipe on the end of it and the pipe has a 3/16 inch notch cut across the end and 3/8 inch deep. Grab it.

Go to the drivers side rear by the stabilizers. At the end of the screw shaft (opposite side of the rig from the stabilizer motor) there is a pin that goes through the screw shaft to form a "t". Slide the crank onto the screw shaft till the notch in the crank engages with the pin on the screw shaft of the stabilizer and you should then be able to manually crank up your stabilizer jacks. I "think" you rotate the crank counter-clockwise to raise the jacks.

Hope this helps!
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:17 AM   #6
Hawkpat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11612
Thanks Kyle. I'm sure that's it. I saw the T pin and just had not seen one like that before. When I get back out there I'll do that.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:54 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'd also call Keystone customer service and they can get the dealer lined up to get right on it. We've had great luck calling Keystone first.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
The instructions state to disconnect one wire to the motor to prevent damage.

Do you have 12 volts at the manual switch at the rear curbside?
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote