Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Micro-Wave Convection oven

I called my dealer the other the other day and told him my Micro-Wave Convection Oven was not working right because the range vent in the oven was discharging air out the top and into the trailer, not to the outside. Now I hear that is the way the range vent works, if you are cooking anything and the vent is on the air goes throught the micro wave filter then back in to the trailer. The micro wave itself vents to the outside when it is being used. Was told over a period of time I would see color change and a oil film on the wall and ceiling above the range vent opening from the air being discharged on the wall and celing. What a screwed up system that is. The service tech said that is why so many people cook outside the trailer. Anyone else heard this?

Frank

maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Our unit exhausts outside all the time.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Look on the outside of your rig on the wall where the kitchen is and the microwave is located. There should be a white plastic vent with a cover. The vent has two small clips that have to be turned to allow the exhaust to exit the rig. I know of no rig that is constructed otherwise, the evidence should be just outside the rig. The service tech sounds like he doesn't have a clue as to what he is talking about.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We have full timed in our 2008 Big Sky since Aug 2007 with a Dometic Convection/microwave. We have done both types of cooking using the oven almost daily since then. We rarely cook out even though we have a nice propane cooker. There is no smoke or grease stains on the kitchen walls. The vent fan works very well on all five speeds. I don't know what the tech is talking about.

During convection cooking, hot air swirls around inside the oven to facilitate convection cooking, but it doesn't vent out into the room. I am sure there is some info online about how a convection oven works.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Rancher Will
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11227
bncinwv is correct. Twice I have had two other campers mention to me the problem with venting above their stove. In both instances I pointed out that the two clips on the exterior vent need to be in the open position. Problem solved.
Rancher Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
I opened the outside vent by moving the two small clips to the side till the vent door was clear. While the wife had the stove top vent turned on I went outside and the vent was closed. I took a small stick and pulled the vent door open and it closed as soon as I let it go, I done this several times and always the same result, the door banged shut as soon as I removed the stick.

Frank
Old 07-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I agree with others here, ours always vents to the outside. Just yesterday I was outside dumping tanks while DW was cooking apple pie, smelled wonderful venting over my head. Have also been outside when bacon was cooking same experience. I would suggest checking for obstruction. One further suggestion, the exhaust comes on automatically when conv. or micro. is in use. It must be turned on from micro control panel when stove top is used. Not trying to be smart but some times I overlook simple things.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:02 AM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by awaywego

Our unit exhausts outside all the time.
Same here....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #9
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by maximo

I opened the outside vent by moving the two small clips to the side till the vent door was clear. While the wife had the stove top vent turned on I went outside and the vent was closed. I took a small stick and pulled the vent door open and it closed as soon as I let it go, I done this several times and always the same result, the door banged shut as soon as I removed the stick.

Frank
If the clips are open, the flap will open with the draft of the fan and the hot air. Remember to close the clips when departing, wind from travel will probably tear the flap off.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:24 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Sounds like you have some investigating to do. You can pull the screen filters off of the bottom of the microwave unit and the fan for the exhaust is readily accessible. I can't remember if there is a clear line of site to the outside vent or not (perhaps someone on the forum can check this and report back). This is a very simple system which is only a fan, duct and flap on the outside. If there is an obstruction of any kind, it should be easily found. Keep us informed with what you find.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:07 AM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
There is a metal plate that fits in behind the exterior vent. I wonder if the plate was installed wrong. I am in our truck while our rig is at the Service Center so can't look at it to articulate better.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:37 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Just as everyone else has noted, ours only vents to the outside. Release the clips, turn on the fan, and there is a significant air flow out the vent. On ours, there is no possible way for the range vent to pass air thru the microwave. The microwave is installed in an enclosed cabinet above the range with no opening for air flow except thru the front grill. The microwave/convection oven has it's own fan to draw air thru it and blow it out the top of the front grill.
Unless they have changed the design significantly, I agree the tech does not know what he it talking about.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #13
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Did they change the Microwave? mine is like all have said. But My daughter has one in her home that the range vents thru the MIcrowave so youmust turn it on thru the microwave. If the hood is seperate it should be like all teh reast

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My "Hood" and the microwave are all a single unit. If this were my unit, I would be calling the manufacturer to get info from the service tech. We are all answering you from what we think you are saying, but the tech can answer based on the model and year.

My original MW got fried by a defective converter. So I have helped the tech replace it. The second was defective and had to be replaced (they should have tested it before installing). When the third unit came in, I had learned enough to help the new tech install it. All that to say I still would call the manufacturer rather than listen to all us us.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #15
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
I talked to my dealer about the "Over the Range Micrwave - Convection Oven". The microwave is a Frigidaire. The microwave and range hood are a all in one unit. I was told when the trailer came in to their yard and they done the dealer check out the door on the microwave was faulity. They replaced the unit with a brand new unit. After reading the installation instructions book that came with the new unit there are many procedures that need to be done on the installation, ducts lined up, tape removed, duct to line up, vents to check and other things. My guess is that tape or a stuck duct is the problem. The trailer goes to the dealer next Tuesday to have a second air conditioner installed and they will check the microwave aling with several other items, I will let you know what the problem was.

Frank
Old 07-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #16
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I would ask what unit came in the rig from the factory. Why didn't they get an OEM replacement unit so that the installation would match up? How does the price of the Frigidaire compare with the price of an OEM replacement? I would have to ask a host of probing questions to satisfy myself that they didn't scavenge my new rig and replace the mw/c oven with something lessor. I don't want to set your teeth in edge about your dealer, but I smell a fish.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #17
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
The unit they replaced was also a Frigidaire, the new unit is the same make and model number as the one replaced. I saw the bad unit in the trailer before it was replaced. It is a "all in one unit", range hood and microwave, one unit. Frigidare is the OEM.

Frank
Old 07-09-2011, 04:48 AM   #18
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
The interesting thing on all this to me is that my home microwave/range hood vents back into the kitchen. My former stick house had a vent tube thru the roof, but my current one does not. It filters the exhaust and puts it back in the kitchen.

On my Big Sky, when I open the outer vent, and a big rain storm comes along, I got water all over the stove and floor! So most of the time we use the fantastic fan as our kitchen vent.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:36 AM   #19
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
As plain as I can say it. The Microwave-Convection oven & the range hood are one unit. When the microwave or convection oven are on the fan vents the exhaust out the top of the unit back into the room. When the range fan is on the unit still vents out the top of the unit back into the room. At no time if any fan on the unit is on does the unit vent to the outside The outside vent cover has the tabs moved to the side so the door is free to open if there is air pressure on it. As stated by others the microwave in my stick home does vent into the room.

Frank
Old 07-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #20
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sorry and apologies to your dealer. Guess my nose is out of tune, but dealers have pulled scenarios like I described. Looks like Keystone switched microwave vendors which is certainly not unheard of. Here's hoping you get satisfactory resolution soon.