Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Update on How do you remove Dicor Caulk

I am going to replace my sewer vent on the roof and need some answers before I start.

it seems that there is a massive amount of Dicor self leveling caulk around the vent cap and everything else that is mounted to the rubber roof, how does a person remove the old caulk without damageing the roof membrane? that stuff seems to be alive when messing with it it sticks to everything when disturbed. I dont think this stuff likes to come off. I need sugestion please or a way to do it.
this is my idea seeing I have never had to remove this stuff, I was going to cut the old dicor around the vent cap near the edge, but not to cut the membrane, just enugh to remove the screws and pry the cap off, then take a sharp razor and remove some of the old caulk clean the area and put on the new vent cap then put on some new Dicor Caulk over the old caulk and new cap. is this the way it should be done?

Well all went well I used a good putty knife and a rug cutters blade to cut the caulk around the cap base then a sharp blade to remove the excess caulk, buttoned it up and recaulked it, job was easier than I expected just gooie.
thanks for all the support comments.

Don

Old 03-05-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Your approach sounds reasonable. Maybe check with a reliable dealer on their method.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:57 AM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Don,
I had to replace the vent in Texas when it hung on a tree limb. I used a sharp putty knife (one with sharp point on side) and scraped the caulk down to the top of the plastic. I then used the sharpe point to cut around the vent and scraped the top off the rest so the new caulking would stick.
This worked very well for me. Good luck and just take your time.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:35 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Don, a sharpened putty knife worked for me. Other than that your approach sounds like the way to go at it.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thank for all the replys, I'll do it that way. and nice and slow so I dont mess up the roof membrane.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Don-- You use a Dicor Selfleveling Caulk Remover!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote