Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
Casper, Wyoming RV Parks

Hello All,

Just left Spearfish, SD area after a delightful 9 days / 8 nights there. We stayed at Chris' Camp - great folks, large sites, restrooms and laundry very good.

We decided to spend a few days in the central Wyoming area following some pioneer trails. Decided Casper, Wy would be a good "home base" for day trips to the west.

Suprisingly, there isn't too much to choose from in Casper. We opted to stay at Casper East rv park - because of close proximity to I-25 -unfortunately - the rail yards too.

The park did call us and warn of weather - high winds - on our way - great service on their part. We did have to take substitution for one of our party - some campers chose not to depart till next day.
The park worked with all to surmount the wind problems.

The plus column - great manager help / clean, large bath,shower rooms. Good cable TV for the evenings.

The minus column - crowded spaces,tight parking, very limited patchs of grass, undependable WIFI - again - claimed to be weather related.

Our Woodalls book had the directions all wrong and took a turnaround up the hill and a call to the front dest to find the entrance - very easy to miss.

We checked out the other offerings in the area - all about the same - lots of gravel, limited or no shade, crowded parking, ect.

We're going inland tomorrow to find greener pastures.

Someone could make a fortune here in Casper by opening a spacious, grassy park - much lacking in this area.

Unless there is a "hidden Treasure" here - like the one(s) in the Spearfish area - we probably won't be spending another night here in Casper - we'll look elsewhere.

BTW - the website for Casper East RV looked pretty good, until you realize the pix are from 2004.

Ed

Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:26 AM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
There is a very nice KOA in Casper. We go there quite often and have stayed in all of their parks but the KoA is by far the best.. It is just of I-25 as you head North out of the city.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
Thanks Helen,

We cruised by the KOA in Casper and should have gone in to check it out after the fact. We did look at them on line and were a bit turned off by the costs - but probably would prefer them of all we either looked at or stayed at.

I was blowing fiercly from the West all day and our drive from Spearfish SD was one of the most miserable we have ever done.

We just wanted to get off the road and the Casper East park was close and looked like the best choice from the Woodalls.

Ed
Old 06-25-2010, 03:46 AM   #4
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Since you are talking about Central Wyoming, I suggest you try the Fountain of Youth RV Park in Thermopolis, WY. It is located on a natural hot spring. They have an olympic size pool that is sectioned off into to 2 temp zones with the hotter one at 105 and the other at just the right soaking temp. The pool also has a ramp for people with mobility limitations. the sites are a little small but we had no trouble putting our 3075 in there. The water is best on cool nights. We have been there twice and will be back in late July.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
We stayed at the Casper KOA last week. We found it to be a nice campground. We prefer state and federal campgrounds as a rule but this KOA had easy pull throughs, nice laundry, very nice bath/shower facilities, solid 50 amps, and it was clean.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
Thanks folks for all the inputs - The Fountain of Youth RV park in Thermopolis sounds great - those "soaks" would feel great!

We will certainly give the Casper KOA a shake next time thru too.

Ed
Old 07-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ed Benson

I was blowing fiercly from the West all day and our drive from Spearfish SD was one of the most miserable we have ever done.
Now you're sounding like us, Ed...always a headwind! Doesn't matter that yesterday they were forecasting we'll have a tailwind. The weather changes and we're pushing the wind once again. Someday I think I'm just going to put it in reverse and see if that works.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
Steve,

Boy do I agree with the "Reverse Theory"

Just last week, again the wind gods played foul with us - took a jaunt across southern Idaho on I84/86 from Blackfoot to Nampa.

We left with a normal headwind from the SW all the way to Boise. My DW remarked that the odds were we would be bucking a headwind coming home the same timeframe in 2 days - I very unwisely bet her that we would have a great tailwind to blow us home - WRONG!!

We left the Boise area - same time frame - ripping headwind from the NE all the way home!!

Weather science really sucks!

Ed
Old 07-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
We have it figured out!!!!
We will just always travel eastbound.
(Anyone have a website for RV pontoons?)
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote